Date: 03-05-24  Time: 18:21 pm

Author Topic: Down the pub - the thread about nothing and everything  (Read 117389 times)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Down the pub - the thread about nothing and everything
« Reply #650 on: 30 May 2021, 08:50:59 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 11:38:43 am by YamFazFan »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: 30 May 2021, 08:52:53 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 11:38:24 am by YamFazFan »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: 30 May 2021, 11:14:27 pm »
On a technicality I'd dispute that wire wool counts as 'hair'

I was thinking more of that blond buffoon who ruffles his hair up before every interview, in order to attempt to be 'amusing'.  ;)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #653 on: 02 June 2021, 11:39:53 am »
Another one from the "You just CANNOT make this shit up!" file...

Wetherspoons boss calls for more EU migration as bars and restaurants tackle staff shortage

:rolleyes

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: 02 June 2021, 12:17:40 pm »
In other words, he just wants cheap staff, wherever they come from :rolleyes

I haven't set foot in a Wetherspoons since 2016

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: 02 June 2021, 12:22:15 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 11:38:10 am by YamFazFan »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: 02 June 2021, 01:05:39 pm »
Another one from the "You just CANNOT make this shit up!" file...

Wetherspoons boss calls for more EU migration as bars and restaurants tackle staff shortage

:rolleyes
Cannot afford the paywall but from what is available sounds perfectly on message with brexit to me
"immigration system' controlled by the UK - rather than the EU -"   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: 02 June 2021, 01:19:11 pm »
They were saying yesterday that the labour shortage is due to the furlough scheme. Ie people are happy to stay on 80% to do nothing. Once travel/parking/lunch etc...costs are deducted they're not much worse off apparently.
Except of course, the decision to furlough and when to end furlough, is made by the employer, not the employee.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: 02 June 2021, 01:52:42 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 11:37:51 am by YamFazFan »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: 02 June 2021, 02:49:47 pm »
I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but doesn't the employee have to agree to being taken off furlough?
Not as a right. Normal contract of employment rules apply. You would have to prove that the circumstances prevented you returning to the workplace ie that the workplace is unsafe. Otherwise you run the risk of dismissal.

https://www.daslaw.co.uk/blog/covid-19-employees-refuse-return-to-work[size=78%] [/size]

« Last Edit: 02 June 2021, 02:50:59 pm by mtread »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: 02 June 2021, 04:23:47 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 11:37:38 am by YamFazFan »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: 02 June 2021, 04:44:17 pm »
What I don't understand is how foreign workers (from the EU at least) are classed as cheap labour as I'm pretty sure the minimum wage laws apply to everyone that works in this country? So shouldn't matter if they hire John, Pietro, Sally or Zofia..... they should all be on the same hourly rate??

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #662 on: 02 June 2021, 05:22:36 pm »
What I don't understand is how foreign workers (from the EU at least) are classed as cheap labour as I'm pretty sure the minimum wage laws apply to everyone that works in this country? So shouldn't matter if they hire John, Pietro, Sally or Zofia..... they should all be on the same hourly rate??

Minimum wage rules do apply elsewhere in the EU but places like Greece, thats only €2-3 / hour as the cost of living is much lower. Thats why we like to go on holiday there and why they like to come and work here.

Same with Bulgaria/Poland/etc/etc
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: 02 June 2021, 06:42:26 pm »

Minimum wage rules do apply elsewhere in the EU but places like Greece, thats only €2-3 / hour as the cost of living is much lower. Thats why we like to go on holiday there and why they like to come and work here.

Same with Bulgaria/Poland/etc/etc

Yes but what I saying is why does Mr wetherspoon favour so called "cheap labour" when in fact they cost the same as hiring the guy down the road?
« Last Edit: 02 June 2021, 07:00:04 pm by Dudeofrude »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: 02 June 2021, 06:58:51 pm »
Never mind. The whole story is untrue fake news anyway.
     Here is what Tim has said

<blockquote>“I was trying to be helpful to the journalist by providing up-to-date anecdotal information on staffing, which clearly demonstrated a very positive situation for Wetherspoon. However, my comments were misreported. The false story, expressed in the headline “Wetherspoons boss calls for more EU migration as bars and restaurants tackle staff shortage” and expressed or implied elsewhere in the article, was that Wetherspoon was suffering staff shortages, which clearly isn’t true, and that I had subsequently been moved to change my stance on immigration, which, as my evidence to parliament clearly shows, isn’t true either.”</blockquote>

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: 02 June 2021, 07:02:20 pm »
Cannot afford the paywall but from what is available sounds perfectly on message with brexit to me

The UK’s rights to control its borders and to check anyone entering the UK no matter where they come from are explained below.

Like all EU Member States, the UK is subject to obligations to ensure the freedom of EU citizens to move and reside freely within the EU.[1] Freedom of movement of workers and rights of establishment in other Member States were fundamental aspects of the common market well before the UK joined the EEC in 1973 and have remained of significance to the internal market programme.[2]

These rights do not undermine the UK’s ability to control its borders, for three principal reasons.

First, the largest category of migrants to the UK come from outside the EU, and are not entitled to rely on EU laws on freedom of movement.[3] The UK’s ability to restrict entry to this group is unaffected by its membership of the EU.

Secondly, whereas many Member States have replaced individual controls with a common policy at their common frontier (known as the Schengen Area),[4] the UK chose to retain its right to independent border control and is entitled to check the identity of every individual entering the country.[5]

Thirdly, EU law does not provide nationals from other EU Member States with an unlimited right to enter or remain in the UK. Most importantly, the right to live in the UK without any conditions or formalities only lasts for three months.[6] In addition, the right is subject to limitations “on grounds of public policy, public security or public health”.[7] Specifically, the UK retains the right to restrict the freedom of movement and residence of EU citizens and their family members, where their personal conduct represents “a genuine, present and sufficiently serious threat affecting one of the fundamental interests of society”[8] and the home Member State of any expelled EU nationals must allow those nationals to re-enter their territory.[9]

Can the UK Control Its Borders if It Remains in the EU?

Yep, sounds *perfectly* on message with Brexit...  :rolleyes

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #666 on: 02 June 2021, 07:40:47 pm »
Yes but what I saying is why does Mr wetherspoon favour so called "cheap labour" when in fact they cost the same as hiring the guy down the road?

Yes but us Brits dont want to work hard for £8.91 an hour whereas other nationalities will do it. Common sense says put the wages up if you ant to recruit more people.

Many years ago an airline I worked for had people queuing round the block for jobs that other airlines struggled to fill. The reason, we paid better and as such got to be selective about who was employed. As an example when I applied to be an apprentice there, 5000 people applied, 500 got aptitude tests, 50 go interviewed and 15 (yes, just 15) got jobs.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: 02 June 2021, 07:57:09 pm »
Wasn't one of the 'plusses' of Brexit to raise UK workers' living standards? Obviously not if you work for Wetherspoons.
An ideal time for the government to raise the minimum wage significantly. Then he wouldn't have any problems hiring.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: 02 June 2021, 08:22:56 pm »

[quote
Can the UK Control Its Borders if It Remains in the EU?

Yep, sounds *perfectly* on message with Brexit...  :rolleyes
Grahamm where do you find these obscure websites and campaign groups from, do you just live in your own echo chamber finding whatever conformation bias you can.

Here is who lawyers - in for Britain are. 

‘Lawyers-In for Britain’ is a group of lawyers who consider that the UK’s interests are best served by remaining in the EU.
The "in" is for in the EU.  And the bunch don't even run a secure https website FFS :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 02 June 2021, 08:36:46 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: 02 June 2021, 08:31:17 pm »
Also Grahamm is this now the de-facto politics thread. Normally Mods clamp down on politics invading other threads. Why don't you start a politics thread proper and be done with it.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2021, 11:25:32 pm by fazersharp »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: 03 June 2021, 10:26:56 am »

Translation "Oh Foc, I said something stupid, let's quickly issue a 'clarification' in the hope that people believe it..."

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: 03 June 2021, 10:28:39 am »
Grahamm where do you find these obscure websites and campaign groups from, do you just live in your own echo chamber finding whatever conformation bias you can.

No, fazersharp, it's this obscure little thing called "Google".

But, as always, you would prefer to attack the messenger, rather than listen to the message.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: 03 June 2021, 10:32:21 am »
Also Grahamm is this now the de-facto politics thread. Normally Mods clamp down on politics invading other threads. Why don't you start a politics thread proper and be done with it.

If you hadn't noticed, the subject of this thread is "Down the pub - the thread about nothing and everything". Are you saying that pubs should not allow political discussion because you don't like it?

In any case, if you have a problem with any discussion in a thread, there is a link at the bottom right of every post that says "Report to moderator". Please feel free to click it and a Moderator (who isn't me, before you say anything) will take a look at your report and decide if action needs to be taken.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: 03 June 2021, 11:05:48 am »

Translation "Oh Foc, I said something stupid, let's quickly issue a 'clarification' in the hope that people believe it..."
Or shock horror -- a jurno lied, misquoted, generally twisted what he said.     

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: 03 June 2021, 11:09:02 am »
If you hadn't noticed, the subject of this thread is "Down the pub - the thread about nothing and everything". Are you saying that pubs should not allow political discussion because you don't like it?
Not at all - I am fine with it, its just in the past you have removed political posts.