Date: 19-05-24  Time: 03:18 am

Author Topic: I think I have a problem - anyone want to listen to it?  (Read 1838 times)

Hermanji

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
I think I have a problem - anyone want to listen to it?
« on: 22 November 2016, 09:18:00 am »

[YouTube:uW2AIwk5ZAw]

Please take a look at the video (or listen). It started sounding a bit strange - sort of tinny, higher pitched (hard to describe). I haven't noticed any other symptoms. I've recently done a service including new plugs - the noise was there before and after.

I did notice a tiny bit of exhaust leaking from a rusty seam between the pipe and muffler - could this sound be linked to that? I expected it to be a bit more throaty if it was (this is more nasal???)
« Last Edit: 22 November 2016, 09:31:18 am by Hermanji »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: I think I have a problem - anyone want to listen to it?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2016, 10:40:33 am »
Sounds like it might be the clutch to me. Open the oil filler cap and check if the noise is louder. Does it happen when it's in gear or when the clutch is pulled?

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2016, 11:00:19 am »
Worn clutch basket? How many miles on the old girl
my momma always says, stupid is as stupid does.
that's all i gotta say about that

Hermanji

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2016, 03:53:33 pm »
Cool, I'll have to check tomorrow morning with the filler cap off and clutch in and out - I haven't noticed any change in the sound waiting at the lights, clutch in though.

Its only done just over 14K.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2016, 10:32:18 pm »
Same as others on here my thoughts on it is 'clutch basket' or plates rattling in the basket. start the bike up on centre stand and hang over bike and listen close to the clutch case and pull the clutch lever right up against the bars and see if the noise diminishes, if it does then it is the clutch.

Careful running bike with oil filler cap off you might make  a mess on the cylinder fins that will stink the garage out as it burns off.

A lot of FZS 600 Fazers have rattles from the clutch and sometimes just recording it makes it sound worse on the recorded file that it actually is.

My Mechanic replaced the whole of the clutch assembly on his Boxeye because it rattled and because he could, it was silent when he started it and about a month later he noticed it had a slight rattle back and within a few months it was as bad as it was before replacement.

My Foxeye has a slight rattle (Mine decreases by about 50% with the clutch lever pulled in to the bars) and I spoke to Darron about it and his advice is nothing to worry about, that was 3 years ago and to be honest I don't think it's any louder now than when I first noticed it.

If the bike is in a shed or garage or up against the side of your house when you are listening to it running the building will act like a resonator, bit like a guitar body amplifies the sound of the strings, the building will caused the sounds to bounce around and amp it up.

If it throws a con-rod through the front of the crankcase your next ride out I have never heard of you. :'(
What I guess i'm saying for your own peace of mind get a professionals opinion, 25 quid for the professional opinion is much cheaper than a new lump for your bike.

Hermanji

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2016, 10:34:04 am »
OK...

Took the filler cap off while running (slowly and carefully) - there was no appreciable change in volume or tone. No splatter either.
Pulled the clutch in and out a lot - no appreciable change in noise.
Did the same revving up - still no change in noise.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. There are no other symptoms and the ride is as good as ever. Could be the the minor exhaust leak near the can - I'll get this looked at, the pipes are all looking a bit rusty.

Thanks people.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2016, 06:14:22 pm »
Try covering the exhaust can with a rag or your hand to quieten it and then have another listen. It still mostly sounds like clutch rattle to me but it's normal for a clutch to rattle a bit. It doesn't mean there's a problem with the clutch. A carb balance will help reduce clutch rattle and make the engine run smoother. If you're exhaust is leaking sorting that will also make everything sound a lot smoother. If you're doing anything with the exhaust be very careful with the studs that hold the headers to the engine. They're notorious for snapping.

Hermanji

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2016, 02:02:46 pm »
Thanks for the heads up about the exhaust studs.

I've tried varying exhaust flow and blocking 'leak' with rags - no change.

But, I do like your idea about carb balancing. I've just been reading about how imbalanced carbs can cause engine vibration. This seems like a good description of my symptoms. I've also started having difficulty getting the choke right - I'm looking into it.

Hermanji

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2016, 04:54:02 pm »
Problem solved! Thanks His Dudeness for pointing to the carbs. I balanced the carbs this afternoon and the now she purrs again. It was like magic - I've got a big grin on my smug face.

I can now hear a tiny bit of clutch rattle but I've heard a lot worse so I'm not worried about that for the moment.