Date: 03-06-24  Time: 06:55 am

Author Topic: polishing plastics  (Read 1965 times)

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
polishing plastics
« on: 26 September 2013, 10:34:26 pm »
now here's a hypothetical question......

if one was to wash their bike and were to use a cloth not quite as soft as they thought it was, what would be the best way of restoring any  'minor multiple abrasions' to any previously more shiny pieces of plastic, hypothetically speaking .........
Porquoi moi?

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: polishing plastics
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2013, 11:02:13 pm »
Hypothetical pictures might help as I would assume hypothetically smooth plastic would different to a grained plastic and painted plastic different again, hypothetically.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2013, 11:21:28 pm »
I was an absolute div this year and managed to get super glue on both of my rear seat panels near the grab rail and getting it off left a lot of small abrasive scratches. I used meguiars quik clay cleaner stuff and their 3 step wax and polish afterwards and you can now literally not see the scratches in sunlight, the panels are super smooth and shiney and the only time they are very slightly visible is if you stare directly at them in the shade from about 6 inches away. Great stuff, expensive for what it is but worked a treat. I got mine from halfords when they were doing a 3 for 2 on cleaning products. I did a thread on here about it but can't remember what it's called, I'll try and send you the link.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2013, 11:22:27 pm by Yamazer-92 »

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2013, 11:35:25 pm »

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2013, 08:30:54 am »
Hypothetical pictures might help as I would assume hypothetically smooth plastic would different to a grained plastic and painted plastic different again, hypothetically.

lets say that the hypothesis today would be regarding plastic fittings of the shiny, black, metallic painted type?
Porquoi moi?

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2013, 10:22:59 am »
Porquoi moi?

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2013, 04:12:43 pm »
I have a friend who likes to dress in womens clothes.  I mean hypothetically speaking if I had :rollin

Sorry, couldn't help myself  ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2013, 09:44:11 pm »
I have a friend who likes to dress in womens clothes.  I mean hypothetically speaking if I had :rollin

Sorry, couldn't help myself  ;)

strange that, not even I've got hypothetical friends like that  :lol
Porquoi moi?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2013, 10:37:41 pm »
well, there is a few different ways to tackle this depending on the severity, and what panels it is that are affected. Meguiars PlastX is a fairly competent product, just be sure to work it fully until the abrasive breaks down properly otherwise you will leave micro-marring behind which will need re-polished out.

If you have access to a DA or rotary, it can make the process much more efficient and a bit quicker.

I tend to find that the finish left after PlastX is usually not amazing (It does a bang up job of taking the scratches out, granted), so I tend to go over the top with a much finer diminishing polish, such as Menzerna Final Finish, or 3M Ultrafina. It depends just how shiny you want it afterwards (and of course, if you do go to this level, you will probably need to do the rest of the bike with a finishing polish as well, or else one panel will stand out more).

Dotn forget once you have used plastX etc you will have stripped any wax/protection you have laid down, and so you may want to consider firing something over the top to give some UV protection and make the bike easier to clean :)

Oh, and dont forget to take plenty of pics!

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2013, 01:13:23 am »
ok so the cat's outa the bag, guilty guvnor,  :evil tried photos but don' t seem to show damage, really minor 'scouring' nothing beep just makes it look dull, hopefully nothing a little bit of elbow grease can't work out...

Porquoi moi?

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2013, 01:35:32 am »
If its a haze type that looks like a gaffer tape has left its adhesive behind and there is no scoring or scratches then I advise Autoglym paint restorer. It is more abrasive than the Mags products already mentioned by Yamazer-92 but be careful not to use too much elbow grease and lift off the paint work to keep checking you have not taken all the lacquer off as you will need to then deal with another problem.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2013, 08:30:01 pm »
cheers all for your advice, thankfully  in the end it all polished out with some old autoglym polish I found in the garage (and before I read your post Daz   ;) )

Have to say I'm very relieved and extremely happy to have that beautiful shiny black paintwork back again - and I didn't have to lay out any dosh either = bonus 
Porquoi moi?

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2013, 09:59:38 pm »
I have used Brasso to get rid of scratches on the clear plastic speedo screens.  Worked a treat.  No scratches left and the plastic remained clear.

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2013, 07:29:46 pm »
brasso eh, yup got some of that I think, will have to try it and if it doesn't work I just might invest in a bigger screen anyway to get rid of some of the windblast on my commute
Porquoi moi?