Date: 25-04-24  Time: 14:35 pm

Author Topic: Farewell Fazer  (Read 2094 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Farewell Fazer
« on: 29 March 2021, 10:31:40 pm »
Well I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a Kawasaki Z1000sx today, which sadly means my time with the Fz1 has come to an end.
I will be sad to see it go, its been an immensely fun (and expensive) 5 years but it's just time for something slightly more practicality and a lot less "look at me" haha

I plan on sticking around (if you'll have me 😝) as 80% of my interactions on here have nothing to do with Fazers haha but also I'd like to hope that I've molded and messed about with enough parts of a gen2 that I'd still be able to offer some helpful advice to others 🙂

I think Ive got about 4 days until the Kwak comes so in the meantime I'm going to rummage through the garage and see which originals parts I have left to swap out so I may have some stuff in the for sale section soon

Anyway I look forward to enjoying the new stead 😌

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2021, 10:25:12 am »
I recently bought a new machine too, the triumph tiger 1050 sport.
I still have my fazer thou but it needs a bit of tic and i’m not sure I can be arsed.
It’s a great bike though is the mighty fazer and I will miss it if I sell it, ahh what to do.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2021, 12:57:36 pm »
Well I've just said Goodbye to mine not 15 minutes ago...... but my z1000sx came off the van straight after so helped with the sting.

Here's my new stead.... what a beaut 🤩🤩

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2021, 12:59:29 pm »
I recently bought a new machine too, the triumph tiger 1050 sport.
I still have my fazer thou but it needs a bit of tic and i’m not sure I can be arsed.
It’s a great bike though is the mighty fazer and I will miss it if I sell it, ahh what to do.

Well the way I see it, if it needs work and you already have something new that does work then there's not going to be much incentive to get it sorted. So personally I would rather see it on to someone else who would enjoy it rather that letting it fester in the garage getting worse 🤷‍♂️ but that just my 2c

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2021, 05:33:44 pm »
I 've read some reviews on the Z1000sx and they all reckon you can't buy a better sports tourer,the only things nearly everyone moaned about were a hard seat and the exhaust! if that's your only problems you ain't got any !! :lol  great bikes. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2021, 06:48:19 pm »
I 've read some reviews on the Z1000sx and they all reckon you can't buy a better sports tourer,the only things nearly everyone moaned about were a hard seat and the exhaust! if that's your only problems you ain't got any !! :lol  great bikes. :thumbup

Yes I'm very happy with it. I can honestly say there isn't another bike I would have wanted even given the choice of anything.

The seat is bad, much worse than the FZ1 anyway, I can only manage around an hour before I start getting a numb 😅
I don't know what peoples problem would be with the exhaust? Other than maybe the fact its quiet? But I would imagine that's the same with all standard exhausts these days given the size of the catalytic converters on them 🤷‍♂️

If I had to be finicky and pick some flaws I'd say its a little vibey at high rpms, it doesn't like to turn into corners without a lot of muscle (possibly a suspension set up issue), headlights are crap until you put LED bulbs in and other than that the only other issue I've had is working on it given all the bits you need to remove to actually get at anything haha

Comparative improvements over my FZ1 I would say fuel economy (major difference, probably double the tank range), far better tacho/speedo with lots more information such as remaining miles in the tank, average mpg, live mpg etc. It's got a much smoother power delivery and a much nicer clutch.

Things that are better but I can't compare to the Yamaha;
The pannier system is amazing! So easy to click them on and off plus with the fancy kawasaki system theres little to no signs they were even on there (so no ugly racks)
3 way adjustable screen is a great, lowest setting for the "sporty" look and for racing around but the highest setting for motorways or long trips, keeps the wind right off.
The 3 level traction control has proved to be quite useful on wet rides, turn it up full and just act like it's not raining, the ecu takes care of the power so no slips or slides. The power modes are bit pointless, I think low mode cuts the power to around 100bhp but as its all up the top end its not really noticeable in a situation where you want less power. I've only used it when I took my daughter on the back for the first time so not exactly red lining it anyway.
I'm sure ABS is handy too although I've not managed to engage it just yet.

So yeah all in all I couldn't be happier. I do miss the looks of my FZ1 as it was one probably the prettiest bikes I've ever seen IMO but the green machine has grown on me.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2021, 09:25:28 pm »
Regarding the seat having test ridden both bikes the stock seat on both is about the same.

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=25328.0

The first ever SX I test road had the Kawasaki confert seat (WTF they didnt just ship the bike with that from factory is beyond me). Also the stock tyres that ship with the SX are horrendous. Agree on the power modes to a point, on the highest setting you can tell the difference when you give it a handfull. The only issue I had with this bike is the lack of center stand.

What year did you buy? as I believe the first gear issue was fixed in 2017 onwards.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2021, 09:31:05 pm by b1k3rdude »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2021, 09:57:59 pm »
Regarding the seat having test ridden both bikes the stock seat on both is about the same.

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=25328.0

The first ever SX I test road had the Kawasaki confert seat (WTF they didnt just ship the bike with that from factory is beyond me). Also the stock tyres that ship with the SX are horrendous. Agree on the power modes to a point, on the highest setting you can tell the difference when you give it a handfull. The only issue I had with this bike is the lack of center stand.

What year did you buy? as I believe the first gear issue was fixed in 2017 onwards.

I went with a 66plate in the end as it was the newest one within my budget. The 4th gear issue is a potential problem but its not as common as some would you believe. On the Sx forum there are only a handful of owners that have ever experienced it so I'm not too concerned. Although given my past luck with the Yamaha stator I should probably prepare for bad luck in the future 😅

I will be having the seat rebuilt & customised at some point later in the year, just need to decided between gel or memory foam 🤔

I've got PR4s on the bike atm which seem to be the go to tyre for most SX owners. I may try the PR5s when it comes time to replace them. As for a centre stand, it's nothing I would ever need/want on a bike anyway so not a problem for me, I have an Abba stand for when I need to do anything with the bike level.

maxzer1500

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2021, 11:52:09 pm »
Nearly got one of the first models having good memories of zx9s but got an FZ1S instead. Should have got the kawa and only kept the fz a year. Recently had spare cash and looked at the h2 version of these but thought would rather spend that on several bikes. Not on a fazer these days but a mate is making noises about another bike after a lay-off and think he could do a lot worse than a fzs1000.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2021, 08:10:06 am »
But a mate is making noises about another bike after a lay-off and think he could do a lot worse than a fzs1000.
Yep and there are a few for sale on here atm -

- https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?board=10.0

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2021, 12:23:58 pm »
Well I've just said Goodbye to mine not 15 minutes ago...... but my z1000sx came off the van straight after so helped with the sting.

Have you got a Wide Load Sticker for the rear? :lol

maxzer1500

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2021, 03:35:04 pm »
But a mate is making noises about another bike after a lay-off and think he could do a lot worse than a fzs1000.
Yep and there are a few for sale on here atm -

- https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?board=10.0
cheers, did look on there. Only very recently though as haven’t been able to log on for years. Mate is recovering from a broken leg so it will be a little while, was pinned a couple of months ago. Might have to do some persuading though, he don’t really know what he wants and as I will prob buy it and do any work to it, I have more than a usual interest. Prefer not to travel too far for one though, partly as have been doing too much of that lately. Kent or East Sussex would be about it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2021, 04:07:05 pm »

I haven't... could you ask ya wife if she has a spare before she sews it in her knickers 😜😅

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2021, 07:17:07 pm »

I haven't... could you ask ya wife if she has a spare before she sews it in her knickers 😜😅
Can't do that she only has one :moon