Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:35 am

Author Topic: Electric vehicles vs Internal Combustion...  (Read 6404 times)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Electric vehicles vs Internal Combustion...
« Reply #25 on: 04 March 2021, 11:22:44 pm »
Wind? 24/7? What planet are you on? Our local coal fired has to fire up when the wind drops, and has done regularly this year
It's always windy somewhere, and of it's not it's probably sunny or raining. Nuclear is 24/7, and you daren't turn it off  :look

My son is on Economy 7. He uses electricity for heating and it works for him if you shop around for the right deal. It's a no brainer if you are charging an electric vehicle overnight (back on subject).
 Anyway, the point being made is that Smart meters varying price is just a more sophisticated version of Economy 7. The principle of variable charging isn't new.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #26 on: 05 March 2021, 12:28:34 am »
Brown outs or black outs are part of the reason for rolling out smart meters because with them they can cut power to single streets at a time

Do you actually have any citatations of examples of this having happened?

The technology can do it - I am not aware it has been used yet but the capability is there should the need arise.

Neither am I, but the implication seems that it has or that there have already been "brownouts" or "blackouts" due to lack of capacity, which, absent any evidence to the contrary, does not appear to be the case.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 March 2021, 05:20:40 pm »
Off topic and potentially offensive post removed.

GrahamM

Moderator.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 March 2021, 10:51:22 pm »
It'll never happen
Fukwits can't even get a grip on this so called new HST train line, billions spent & achieving nowt.
Same applies to the claim to faze out Internal combustion engines.
Infrastructure is decades away to support it for starters, power stations are decades away at supplying the demand.
Hybrids self charging vehicles are the only way forward for the next few decades, till the above gets sorted it's never happening as they claim, basically all bollox.
I also see they don't tell Joe public how much pollutants are created to build just 1 electric vehicle, it's way more than the pollution created by running 1 modern vehicle for 10yrs.

We've all got an opinion.
[size=78%]I work for Honda, who are one of the leaders in Hybrid / self charging technology & privy to the facts stated above ... [/size] :thumbup

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 March 2021, 09:59:36 am »
I do agree switchable hybrid should be the way to go until all electric is solved. Perhaps with a rule that you must switch to electric in designated areas.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 17 March 2021, 11:28:22 am »
I also see they don't tell Joe public how much pollutants are created to build just 1 electric vehicle, it's way more than the pollution created by running 1 modern vehicle for 10yrs.

I'll guess that you didn't watch the video in the OP...

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 March 2021, 11:54:02 am »
  • Here's a live (no pun intended) status report: https://grid.iamkate.com/
  • Please can you provide some details of these brownouts?
  • I have emailed the data source requesting current NG capacity, as the data only shows whats been generated.
  • I will have to email my local supplier for this info.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 April 2021, 08:50:04 pm »
I have just come across a new tactic to get people to have an evil smart meter. I have about 6 letters asking me to make an appointment but have now received a letter saying that an appointment has been booked and some one will be coming on x date between 12. 00 and 16.00. But it does say call to confirm it or book a different date or time.
 Definitely a new tactic. 
 If they step foot in Sharp Halls grounds I will give them a 3 minute head start to reach the gate house at the end of Sharp Halls 2 mile drive before I release the hounds  :lol   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 April 2021, 08:30:06 pm »
I have just come across a new tactic to get people to have an evil smart meter.   

Why are smart meters evil?

I had a complex meter arrangement which I wanted rid of so I had to change to a smart meter and as I have a dual fuel suppler I got both gas and elecetric smart meters.

Seems to make sense to me, now I don't have any problems supplying meter readings which were always a pain with the complex (day and night) meter I had previously.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2021, 08:31:19 pm by Streetbudgie »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 April 2021, 09:13:17 pm »

see my post number 13.
A little more on the data collection. By analysing the power used and when its used it can be worked out if you work, what time you get up, leave the house, when you get back, how many live in the house,how many females, the age of people in the house, your cooking habits. All valuable data to be sold to advertisers
And you don't  "Have" to have one when changing provider. Telling people they do is more sneaky decitful behaviour to get people to have them, more reason not to have one.

« Last Edit: 23 April 2021, 09:16:23 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 April 2021, 09:26:01 pm »
Heres another thing. I don't know what morons they are using to install the gas ones. I don't think that they are normal gas engineers but just people trained up to fit them.
A Part of the gas one being fitted is that they check, perhaps just visually ‐ other gas equipment in your property.
 A mate of mine had a gas one and the chap that fitted it "checked" the gas cooker and condemned it on the basis that it did not have an anti tip bracket fitted to the bottom of the cooker. It had the required chain fitted to the top perfectly  correctly. They then had to pay for their regular gas engineer to come out to check and undo the condem.
These people fitting them are idiots.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 April 2021, 10:06:18 am »
Heres another thing. I don't know what morons they are using to install the gas ones. I don't think that they are normal gas engineers but just people trained up to fit them.
A Part of the gas one being fitted is that they check, perhaps just visually ‐ other gas equipment in your property.
 A mate of mine had a gas one and the chap that fitted it "checked" the gas cooker and condemned it on the basis that it did not have an anti tip bracket fitted to the bottom of the cooker. It had the required chain fitted to the top perfectly  correctly. They then had to pay for their regular gas engineer to come out to check and undo the condem.

Quite likely. When we moved into our present abode, we had a new electricity meter installed. The chap that fitted it was an old work mate, he was previously a fitters mate at the old iron and steel works. Turns out he re-trained soley to go around fitting meters. When he turned up at our door, I thought it was social visit. Then he told me he had come to fit the meter, I had flashbacks to him swinging a 14lb hammer knocking 2" whitworth bolts in  :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 April 2021, 01:04:23 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:32:51 pm by YamFazFan »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 April 2021, 06:10:16 pm »
A lot of the smaller suppliers use Lowri Beck to carry out contractor work.
From personal experience, I'd advise against letting them anywhere near your electricity supply.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 April 2021, 06:19:03 pm »
Electric mini-digger review. 54 seconds. Funny :lol .

What the *hell* is the point of using an electrical digger on a site that doesn't have a connection to the mains??

They might as well complain that it ran out of petrol because there wasn't a filling station nearby...

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 April 2021, 06:26:04 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:32:32 pm by YamFazFan »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 April 2021, 08:39:15 pm »
100% cloud cover all day here, and no breeze at all, so the local old coal fired has been running since I got up this morning

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 May 2021, 12:55:11 pm »
I would love to know how a Smart Meter can tell the sex of people living in my home or their age  :rollin

What if my lodger is non binary and identifies as a shrubbery?

My Smart Meter is in danger of offending my lodger's foilage status  :rollin

Seriously I've never read such rubbish, of course Smart Meters tell the supplier how much you're using and when, that's a good thing as it enables them to predict demand, nothing else, I'm certain that the good people at EDF couldn't give a toss about how many drunken women wake up in my bed on a Sunday morning  :rollin
« Last Edit: 07 May 2021, 12:56:59 pm by Streetbudgie »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 May 2021, 01:23:44 pm »
I would love to know how a Smart Meter can tell the sex of people living in my home or their age  :rollin

From how much electricity you are using and at what times of day, so the sex by monitoring power serge from a hair dryer for example. Age by what time they get up and start using equipment and from the power being used can work out what equipment is being used = age.Also age by seeing the power consumption increase when the kids come home from school. If you even have kids by not seeing that surge at that time but seeing it when you come home instead.
Also if you are a single parent. All from diagnosis of how much power is being used for how long and at what time.
All of this data is valuable information that can be sold to advertisers to target you. Or a telemarketing company will know the best times to call your house.
 Other info such as exactly when you leave and return home - very useful to thieves. 

If you still think its a load of rubbish and are happy for a surveillance device to be installed in your home then that's up to you.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2021, 01:52:41 pm by fazersharp »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: 07 May 2021, 02:03:06 pm »
Other info such as exactly when you leave and return home - very useful to thieves. 

Just as well I leave everything turned on all the time and have a few big dogs then.

Seriously though, I agree with what you are saying. The data analysis will be based on typical patterns though as you could not say for certain (for example) that a household has children because the power usage goes up at 4pm. It could be a teacher that lives there or someone who does short days.
Same goes for the hairdryers, some men use them allegedly etc etc etc
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 07 May 2021, 02:26:09 pm »

Just as well I leave everything turned on all the time and have a few big dogs then.

Seriously though, I agree with what you are saying. The data analysis will be based on typical patterns though as you could not say for certain (for example) that a household has children because the power usage goes up at 4pm. It could be a teacher that lives there or someone who does short days.
Same goes for the hairdryers, some men use them allegedly etc etc etc
Yes to all of that there will be cases but will be the minority and I am sure that a teacher will have something to say to you about your comment that they get home at 4  :lol
Wont work because that everything is on and is still a baseline to work off unless the dogs are brewing cuppas and using the jacuzzi when you  are not home. Either way they will know when you get home and start drying your hair with one ov vidals finest.  :lol     
Companies behind the roll out hide behind phrases such as "allowing access to data on a more granular level". = meaning deeper spying.
  An appliance will have its own power load signature that can identify what it is and by doing that it can be seen when it is being used and from that it can be worked out who is using it.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2021, 02:43:46 pm by fazersharp »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 07 May 2021, 05:30:51 pm »

From how much electricity you are using and at what times of day, so the sex by monitoring power serge from a hair dryer for example. Age by what time they get up and start using equipment and from the power being used can work out what equipment is being used = age.Also age by seeing the power consumption increase when the kids come home from school. If you even have kids by not seeing that surge at that time but seeing it when you come home instead.
Also if you are a single parent. All from diagnosis of how much power is being used for how long and at what time.
All of this data is valuable information that can be sold to advertisers to target you. Or a telemarketing company will know the best times to call your house.

If you still think its a load of rubbish and are happy for a surveillance device to be installed in your home then that's up to you.

Commonly used word these days, algorithms. Used to analyse all sorts of stuff you'd think unanalysable. I remember reading a book in the 80s, authors name was Skinner but cant remember the title, in which all these stuff was predicted, surveillance/marketing etc

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 20 May 2021, 08:55:35 am »
https://www.visordown.com/news/general/survey-says-31-motorcyclists-would-stop-riding-if-electric-replaces-petrol
I would still ride but I would be in the  "56% would look to keep their petrol-powered machine on the road for as long as they could." camp.
I think that petrol will end up being very expensive and the availability few and far between.
My bike spends most of its time plugged into the battery optimiser anyway.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 20 May 2021, 05:34:12 pm »
https://www.visordown.com/news/general/survey-says-31-motorcyclists-would-stop-riding-if-electric-replaces-petrol

It's a pity they don't post a link to the results, I'd be interested to see the breakdown in age groups between the die-had petrolheads and those who would switch to electric.

Personally, whilst I would agree with the "delay" group, if it came down to it and electric bikes could a) have a longer range b) be quicker to charge and c) be a hell of a lot cheaper, I would switch.