Date: 09-05-24  Time: 09:35 am

Author Topic: Swingarm failure - torque arm mounting point  (Read 15273 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Swingarm failure - torque arm mounting point
« Reply #50 on: 26 September 2014, 08:40:47 pm »
See my comment http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14772.msg168096.html#msg168096

I slacken the bolts and torque them to 23Nm out of habit, however 23 Nm is not tight enough to lock the torque arm solid and it will move without damaging the arm, or pivots, but as I said previously:
Everybody knows the rule "if in doubt swing out of it"  :lol :lol :lol

There have been many occasions when adjusting the chains for others I have had difficulty in opening the bolts on the torque arm because of the "if in doubt swing out of it"

For the above reason I tell people to slacken off the pivot bolts and tighten them when finished adjusting the chain, and not to over tighten them afterwards, this prevents the "if in doubt swing out of it" causing problems. :eek

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 17 October 2014, 02:42:02 am »
I would actually question the need to tighten the torque arm to the extent it wouldn't adjust with the caliper bracket rotation when moving the wheel back or forward.  Afterall as already mentioned the bar is only to stop the caliper bracket from spinning. Obviously not too loose, just enough that with a bit of effort it can be lifted and lowered.
agreed! who said to tighten it like that anyway? that sounds - to me - what caused the problem in the first place

Because everybody knows the rule "if in doubt swing out of it"  :lol :lol :lol

How many do you know who do their own maintenance actually own a Torque Wrench?  :eek :eek :eek
I have one  :b
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 17 October 2014, 02:54:20 am »

Yes but you are quoting a yamaha SHOP manual . it assumes a working level competence within the shop bay at the DEALER garage. All staff undergo general yamaha centric DEALER/franchise training and this sort of document is merely a guide for THE SPECIFIC BIKE MODEL.
so does instruction number 4 require a higher level of competence than that normally presumed of a shop bay dealer garage mechanic then  ;)

It says:  4. Loosen wheel axle nut
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 24 November 2014, 12:59:51 am »
No where does it say that you need to loosen the arm bolts when adj the chain slack, I have the origional owners manual and here is the online service guide that I downloaded from this forum

« Last Edit: 24 November 2014, 01:03:08 am by RMT1983 »

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24 November 2014, 01:08:21 am »
No where does it say that you need to loosen the arm bolts when adj the chain slack, I have the origional owners manual and here is the online service guide that I downloaded from this forum

Why cant I delete my reply, I feel stupid now!!! haha