Date: 28-04-24  Time: 09:54 am

Author Topic: PICs now Added - Oil coming through exhaust.  (Read 9695 times)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: PICs now Added - Oil coming through exhaust.
« Reply #50 on: 21 January 2017, 01:50:03 pm »

There have been one or two instances of an engine letting go properly: conrod-through-the-crankcase type of failure, but they are rare. This sounds much less terminal.
I'd start spraying the exhaust clamps with PlusGas… a look into the exhaust ports might reveal oil trickling down a valve stem if a seal has failed. Still doesn't really explain the noise, nor the engine revving up by itself… even if oil was getting into the cylinders the compression (and the mixture) is insufficient to support combustion like a diesel engine.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2017, 10:33:37 am by Fazerider »

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 21 January 2017, 04:28:17 pm »
Failed seal on inlet valve might draw enough oil through to increase idle speed?  On other engine designs that deliver the oil to the head up one of the cylinder head bolt holes it could've been a head gasket blown between the oil feed and a cylinder.

Since there appears to be plenty of coolant left in the engine if it was the whole 2 litres is all the water in exhaust just the result of the fuel burning and getting trapped/emulsified by the oil in the exhaust so it is just oil getting blown through engine? 

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 January 2017, 09:53:37 pm »
I'd suggest pulling the lowest hose off just to be sure that there's no gunk in there.
Yeah the 2 hoses lowest at nearside going into pump.

I think that we have ruled out head gasket and too much oil -
- these failed seals ideas sound more likely to me - the bike was definitely passing oil into the exhaust and smelling like it was burning oil (smoky exhaust) though it wasnt really affecting how it was performing.

Have to say I am not really mechanically savvy enough to start stripping down inside the actual engine, really got this on the strength of the engine looking and sounding ok at the time and thinking I could fix the other issues - Ive talked to my friend and a few others that sometimes help and thinking that replacing engine even if it is a straight swap (not actually stripping the insides) would probably be beyond our abilitites. Likely to find its way on to the classifieds or get broken up and sold I think.

Russ :)

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 22 January 2017, 10:20:51 am »
How did you rule out the head gasket?
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 22 January 2017, 10:48:02 am »
Seems a little early to give up surely?
If you've space to work and a few tools a bit of further investigation won't be difficult.  Have you even looked at the inner plugs yet?

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 22 January 2017, 11:08:14 am »
I would pull out the spark plugs and have a look at them, they may show something like oil/water deposits.

If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 22 January 2017, 08:52:37 pm »
How did you rule out the head gasket?

We thought that there should be oil in the coolant if it was the head gasket. 

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 23 January 2017, 07:50:58 pm »
Could be the other way round also.

Pull all the plugs and put numbers on a piece of cardboard locate the relevant plugs next to the numbers and post the pictures of the ends, that will tell you and us something  :thumbup

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 09 February 2017, 09:45:38 pm »
After alot of thinking about it I have decided that I cannot really commit further money & time as I dont have the skills to start stripping engine or replacing I have decided to sell on the bike, for what I paid : will put the MOT & fixes down to experience .

Appreciate all the help offered - bike available here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,21815.0.html
may break if enough interest.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 09 February 2017, 11:17:15 pm »
Sorry to hear that it has to go. :faz :'( 

What will you do bike wise now? Get another Fazer? Or has that put you off.

I hope not because I think you were very unfortunate, makes me wonder if the previous owner knew something you did not.

The fZS 600 is a great bike and seems willing to please, They go very well for a 600 Tourer, with a top end around the high
130-140mph, some claim 150mph, but mine will not do that (But it is only in Primer yet)
0-60 in less than 4 seconds.
If it was a 2002-2003 Foxeye I would consider it myself for a full rebuild.
I hope someone buys it and rebuilds it as it looks a nice bike (Gumtree pictures) shame to break it.

Good luck rw711, keep us old foccers informed.
tommy 

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 10 February 2017, 07:24:48 pm »
Thanks Tommy - I'd certainly consider another, I think you are right in this has been an exception to the rule as from what I had read up prior to buying it I was under the impression that they were generally unbrakable in the engine department, and I'd only consider a cheap bike if it was of such a reputation .

Maybe they did no something about it , but hey if you buy a 500 quid bike you have to keep with the mindset that you might have a bargain or you might have balls-up - the thing is I will get most of it back even if I have to break it.

I'll stick with my ZZR for now as it still in Tax & Test and is not really wanting for anything, I've also kind of realised it is better for weather protection and cleaning time having only taken the fazer for one ride on a wet & mucky road  :rollin

Wait till I've more money to spend (like a couple of grand) and a newer (or nicer) one could come in I quite like the thous'  :)