Date: 28-04-24  Time: 06:26 am

Author Topic: Help! My key wont turn  (Read 6811 times)

dudeboy52

• Cager in Training
  • Fazer lover
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Help! My key wont turn
« on: 24 January 2013, 02:06:10 pm »
Hi guys
Got the bike back out to day after all this snow and im having issues with my key when i go to turn the ignition on it takes numerous attempts to get it to turn. i can turn the steering lock off and fine its just the on and off on the ignition. I have tried both keys but they are both the same. Its so annoying.
Ride it like you stole it!!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Help! My key wont turn
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2013, 02:14:36 pm »
it's not frozen it is? mine was frozen solid yesterday morning

dudeboy52

• Cager in Training
  • Fazer lover
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2013, 02:18:07 pm »
Maybe ill poor hot water over it and see if that will do anything

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2013, 02:21:38 pm »
You may be better off trying some WD40 on/in it. 

dudeboy52

• Cager in Training
  • Fazer lover
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2013, 02:26:31 pm »
All sorted bit of hot water and WD40. Now i got to push the key abit foward but atleast i can turn it on and off. Cheers for your help guys :D

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2013, 02:30:18 pm »
 ;)

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2013, 04:19:48 pm »
All sorted bit of hot water and WD40. Now i got to push the key abit foward but atleast i can turn it on and off. Cheers for your help guys :D

Dunno about other dudes here, but the Fazer 600 lock is rather suspect IMO compared to other bikes i've owned. I had the same trouble in normal conditions and no matter what I did, it was still hit and miss. I got a new key got and this improved matters greatly, but I can't get the steering to lock. I used WD40 ect ect. Needs a new barrel i'd say only after 23k miles. Problem is I would have to invest in a Petrol Cap too as I wudn't be arsed using different keys.  :rolleyes

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2013, 04:40:20 pm »
just a quick mention here...........try and avoid using a `wet` lube like wd40, as this attracts more sh&t into the barrel over time and aggravating the problem. use graphite powder ( no, pencil lead doesn`t work :lol ) sparingly into the slot...oooeeer missus. done this for years. never had a problem. ignition / tank / seat locks ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2013, 04:42:07 pm »
Mine's always been a bit iffy, but once you get the knack of it it's not too much bother.
I find that the handlebar needs to be as far left as possible to help with the steering lock. Just a fraction too much to the right and it just won't lock.  :thumbdown
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2013, 10:51:24 am »
Had exactly the same problem. WD40 did the trick in the end. Ditto for my Squire padlock lock too.

However, I managed to break the key fob the other day. The metal key itself is fine (and not stuck in barrel thankfully), just bust the Meta alarm key fob that it was slotted into. TBH, It's been a bit crappy for a while, very loose in the key, and not always registering me pressing the alarm button, unless I wiggle the key in the fob just right. :( The circuit board inside works fine, if I press the button directly on it.

So, I'm now going round using my spare key (master key?) and the stand alone alarm key ring (one with no key attached to it). That said, the spare key is much, much easier to use in the barrel. So, thinking the other key must have been a bit worn perhaps.

Time for a new key and alarm fob. Where's best place to get these?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2013, 11:03:41 am »
All three of my fazer 600's have had iffy ignition barrels. I've lubed them, kept them dry, it made no difference to mine. I thought they all did that.  :\
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2013, 11:15:27 am »
I have to push my key forward since day one, it annoys me.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2013, 12:24:14 pm »
All three of my fazer 600's have had iffy ignition barrels. I've lubed them, kept them dry, it made no difference to mine. I thought they all did that.  :\

I say a high percentage of them do. Just on this thread alone gives you a good indicator....about 90% of the people who posted on this thread had iffy ignitions.

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 January 2013, 01:21:21 pm »
I say a high percentage of them do. Just on this thread alone gives you a good indicator....about 90% of the people who posted on this thread had iffy ignitions.

I wonder how many people aren't posting because they've never had the problem...   :b

I however, have had this problem with both my Fazers...

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 January 2013, 02:31:49 pm »

I wonder how many people aren't posting because they've never had the problem...   :b

I however, have had this problem with both my Fazers...

I hear you man about people who might be happy and haven't posted here to say so and all I can say to them is this..... :moon

When I had my initial problem a while back, I wasn't even a forum member here. So I did a google to see if it was a trait (in case I buy a second hand one and inherit the same problem) or was I just unlucky, and I was alarmed at how many people had actual problems. It certainly was way too many for me as to be an isolated incident and came to the conclusion that the Fazer ignition is not the best in the world over time.

I have my Bandit 1200 for 10 years now which is nearly the same age as my Fazer but my Bandit has near double the mileage and probably way more usage, and there is not an inkling or hesitation with the ignition lock. I never had to lube it either. I had to lube my Fazer about once every month or so over this winter. Actually, I've owned 3 x Bandit 600s, 2 x Bandit 1200, Vmax, XJR1200, CB400, VL1500, VL 750, GSX250, GL400, Z900, CB1100, XS1100, ZR 1100, ZR750, CBF1100, Magna 750, Virago 1100....and all never had an ignition barrel problem.

Anyway, thankfully I just sorted the ignition lock problem thanks to Lewis. Lewis said he had to push his key in a forward position so I gave that a go with no joy. However, I chanced pushing it in a backward postion then, and it worked.  :guitar

Seems to me like the is some sort of "play" that happens inside the barrel over a period of time. The main "on-off" is fine when lubed at very regular intervals for the time being, but i'd suspect I will have to push the key in a backward motion for this too eventually. One thing for sure is that I won't be getting a second hand barrel unless I can test it myself.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 January 2013, 02:40:32 pm »
you have to push the key forward on them before the turn. don't think that means there's a problem with them, that's just the way they're designed. i'd say most problems develop because people don't realise that the key has to be pushed forward and end up damaging the ignition by trying to force it without pushing it forward

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 January 2013, 02:53:11 pm »
Both my Fazers have had the same issue - they require a little bit of wiggling when you first get them until you finally understand exactly how to do it. Its like the ignition barrel is a maze for your mind as well as the key  :lol

I should note that on my first Fazer, it was a slight push forwards. On my current one, its a quite a bit of a push backwards

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 January 2013, 03:02:54 pm »
+1 on the wiggle. My red fazer key had to be wiggled back and forth whilst gently turning it, my black fazer only has to be pushed forward slightly.

Its the three fazes of ignition Barrel destruction!  :lol :lol

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 January 2013, 04:59:06 pm »
Forgotten about this problem, took me ages to get used it when I first got the bike. Used to it now so don't notice it much but good to know it's not just mine. I squirt the locks with wd40 and that seems to keep them behaving.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 January 2013, 08:31:23 am »

His Dudeness wrote:

you have to push the key forward on them before the turn. don't think that means there's a problem with them, that's just the way they're designed.

On every other bike out there you dont have to push the key forward or backward including about 4 other Yams that I have owned and you suggest that this is the actual design? Sorry your Dudeness, but I would put that down to a design flaw on the barrel. So why would they design it that way??.....as some sort of security feature?  ;)

i'd say most problems develop because people don't realise that the key has to be pushed forward and end up damaging the ignition by trying to force it without pushing it forward
Nope. I'd say most of the problem is that people turn the ignition like an ignition or lock is meant to be turned on a badly designed barrel and then they wear/damage their key to add more problems into the bargain. Have you ever heard of any other lock (be it on a door ect) that the barrel needs to be pushed in a forward motion before you turn it?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 January 2013, 09:17:44 am »
In other words......... Its foc-d  :lol :lol :lol :rollin

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2013, 11:11:25 am »
In other words......... Its foc-d  :lol :lol :lol :rollin

.....Well foc-d!!  :eek

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 January 2013, 11:51:56 am »
It is a design flaw, or a money saver, like the front sprocket nut, rusty downpipes, headlights, etc.......

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 January 2013, 04:15:39 pm »
yeah but it is an ignition key not a door key. plenty of ignitions you have to push down or push forward or whatever before they turn. seems like on a forum if you get more than three people agreeing whatever they're saying becomes 100% fact :lol mine has never given any trouble anyway so fook yas :smokin :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 January 2013, 07:04:46 pm »
@Dude, maybe your one is faulty and all ours are normal.........  :lol