Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:44 pm

Author Topic: Buyapowa heated gloves sale now live...  (Read 12585 times)

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
Re: Buyapowa heated gloves sale now live...
« Reply #25 on: 05 November 2012, 05:58:20 pm »
"These 12V gloves utilize Gerbing's Hybrid Heating System™. This system allows you the option of powering from your vehicle's 12V electrical system, or from Gerbing's 12 volt lithium-ion battery pack (not included, available separately from Gerbing Heated Clothing Ltd)."

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 November 2012, 07:40:23 pm »
If you want the battery pack on the left make sure you have the longer wire going to the right sleeve.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 November 2012, 10:11:14 am »
Got the gloves, finally! :D Wouldn't get around to fitting it until later tonight though.

Quick question. I don't see a receipt or invoice or proof of purchase anything of that sort in the pack. Any idea how we are supposed to claim warranty etc, if we had to? Is this norm with Parcel motel, or would they or their supplier (Wild And Wicked Ltd?) provide this by email etc?

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 January 2013, 11:23:04 am »
My controller is dead  :rolleyes   Got to do a bit of testing but I'm pretty sure it's the wiring going into the controller that's at fault.  If so I'll be contacting Gerbing about a replacement since they're only 2 months old.

-Edit-
When I say dead, it's not completely buggered.  They do warm up but not fully and half way to work today the left one went off  :'(
« Last Edit: 10 January 2013, 11:25:38 am by Lawrence »

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 January 2013, 12:37:06 pm »
Crap! That's not good after paying top quid. I have been using mine daily for last two months too and it's okay so far. Keep us posted how it goes with contacting Gerbings - I am not sure how it would work because I didn't get a 'proof of purchase' or anything from buyapowa.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #30 on: 10 January 2013, 05:06:41 pm »
I am not sure how it would work because I didn't get a 'proof of purchase' or anything from buyapowa.

How did you pay them? If it was credit or debit card or PayPal etc that will give proof of purchase.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #31 on: 10 January 2013, 05:11:03 pm »
My controller is dead  :rolleyes   Got to do a bit of testing but I'm pretty sure it's the wiring going into the controller that's at fault.  If so I'll be contacting Gerbing about a replacement since they're only 2 months old.

Before you contact Gerbing you should get in touch with Buyapower because that's who your contract is with under the Sale of Goods Act.

You can point out that the goods are not of satisfactory quality and also as they have failed within 6 months of purchase it's down to them under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 to prove that the fault was not present at time of purchase (which they can't unless they can prove you've mis-used the controller) so you can choose repair, replacement or refund at your option :)

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 January 2013, 12:38:44 am »
Thanks for the advice.  I won't get a chance to check them out til the weekend so I'll contact them early next week.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 January 2013, 12:52:32 pm »
Stuck a meter on the connectors on the ends of the controller and I'm getting ~12.5v on each with the bike idling.  Plugged the gloves into a 13.5v mains adapter and the right one is warm-ish (should be hot! on full power) and the left one is cold  :rolleyes   -1C tomorrow morning too  :'(

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 January 2013, 11:10:11 am »
Posted Friday 18th, received a replacement set (same wiring but brand new gloves) Wednesday 23rd.  Bit better than the 4-6 weeks they quote on the returns form :D

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 January 2013, 11:52:28 am »
Hopefully sorted now mate. At least you'll get plenty of times to try them before putting them away?

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 January 2013, 08:33:52 am »
Working now, good thing too since it was freezing this morning  :eek

Strange that they both died at the same time but pleased with the service from Gerbings.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #37 on: 25 January 2013, 10:39:31 am »
Recently had some trouble with my controller too. One hand totally cut out. However it was a bit intermittent, as it started working again for half my ride home. Next day though, both hands stopped working... Reckon it was a loose connection, maybe even a short (hence stopping both working). Anyway, gone and brought a new controller, gloves working again now and have sent old one back. Just sods law, it plays up on the coldest day of the year...
I contacted Buyapowa and they put Gerbing themselves intouch with me. But yeah, their return form says 4-6 weeks turn around! Hence why I just brought a new controller - it'll be spring in 6 weeks!

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 January 2013, 11:52:13 am »
You getting a refund on the controller?  Or getting it swapped out as a spare?  It has a 3 year warranty...

My controller was fine in the end, just both gloves died at the same time.  I got the old controller/wiring back with new gloves and they were fine this morning.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 January 2013, 02:14:20 pm »
Going to get duff controller swapped. Then at least I've got two, in case one dies again. With weather like this, can't afford to be without the heated gloves at all. 3 year warranty is good.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 February 2013, 01:28:21 am »
My controller packed up today.  Fixed it myself, the insulation round one of the wires was split all the way round and a gap had opened up so it shorted out every time I moved  :look   For a pair of gloves that's normally £140+ they're not exactly reliable  :rolleyes

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 26 April 2013, 03:05:52 pm »
Just updating my story here...

The right glove stopped working on the coldest day of the year...! Turned out to be the wire to the right glove had split right next to the male connector end... got it fixed up locally - quick solder job, and added some heat-shrink-sleeve to make that area stronger.

Now the left glove has stopped working. It just won't heat up. I tried plugging it into lead for the right glove, still no luck. I guess I will have to send these back.

How does one contact Buyapowa for this - how did you guys do the warranty returns? Thanks in advance!

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 26 April 2013, 03:09:37 pm »
PS: I see I should write to help@buyapowa.com - will do so now. Thanks!

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26 April 2013, 04:36:33 pm »
Had to send mine back a couple of times. They're usually pretty quick with turning things round, 2-3 days ish. Contact details:-

Tel: 0044 (0)1580 200212
Email: uk@gerbing.eu
Web: www.gerbing.eu

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 26 April 2013, 08:16:19 pm »
I've now replaced the connector on the fly lead on the bike, both plugs on the sleeve leads and re-done the wire where it goes into the controller.  Second pair of gloves have been good so far though.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 27 April 2013, 02:16:24 am »
I found out that they have charged £120 to my credit card - probably because I joined really early when the price was fairly high + postage.

Fingers crossed refund the savings, and more importantly deliver the darn mittens...!!

u should have been charged 107.49 unless there is some weird option you chose.  All co buyers pay the same final price according to the site.  It's not priced according to when you opt in, it's according to the final number of buyers.  Have you queried the price ?
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18 October 2013, 10:43:25 am »
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread - I just got my gloves replaced (one of them failed back in March, but only got around to sending them back couple of weeks ago), and a few things I noticed.

1. Apparently the replacement gloves I got are 2013 versions - and imho, they are inferior. For instance, the original ones had that thick strong leather panel extending out from the fibre knuckle protector half way down the back of the glove - that whole thing is missing in this version. The knuckle protector is still there but feels loosely held in place, and the glove overall feels less rigid.

2. Sizing is different. Original version L was rather tight on me - it was very snug fit. And over a month or so it stretched and the fit turned absolutely perfect. The replaced is also L but feels much bigger / loose fitting straight away. Also the internal insulation seems to be moving inside the fingers, which I didn't think happened with the original.

Hmmm.. I am tad bit disappointed. Anyone notice these differences with their replacements or is it just 2013 stuff?

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18 October 2013, 11:08:45 am »
Doesn't sound good. Just sent mine back too. Nasty hot spot on one knuckle preventing me lasting more than 5 mins on top two heating settings. And dodgy wiring connection (again) causing them to keep cutting out.

Will see what I get sent back...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 18 October 2013, 11:20:05 am »
I've only ever heard bad comments about heated gloves of any make, I'll stick to muffs and heated grips!
Some say...

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 October 2013, 11:35:42 am »
They're wicked when they work, it's just getting a pair to continue working without issue...