Date: 01-05-24  Time: 19:32 pm

Author Topic: exhaust leak & gasket help  (Read 5933 times)

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
exhaust leak & gasket help
« on: 18 February 2013, 01:11:53 pm »
hey guys i have been tuning my carbs to no end but i keep getting a backfire and its the exhasut thats the problem, i have a leak at the start of the end can and just realised my exhaust itself isnt standard( i was told standard has a interlinking pipe between some cylinders) mine doesnt, its a 4-2-1 with a scorpian end can. so i bought a standard gasket of the bike and it wouldnt fit? i dont know the bore or the stright lengths or the back pressures of the exhaust system and i cant for the life of me seal it, bike only came with this and not even original clamp? but fits on great????  how could i tell if its a full scorpian system?? exhaust has seen better days and its pitted and rusted. im thinking of just siliconing the bastard up :(

so what gasket do i need? id need an exact size, as last time i got the size of aj sutton website?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust leak & gasket help
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2013, 02:05:16 pm »
ive used exhaust repair bandage before with good efect....a couple of turns did it for me  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2013, 04:37:05 pm »
Some systems don't seem to use gaskets with aftermarket parts. My Beowulf end can is such a snug fit that I would NEVER be able to get a gasket on in. Pretty sure it doesn't leak though...

I think some people have used silicon before so it may be worth a shot. Proper exhaust repair stuff might be better. I've used Gun Gum(?) stuff before on the exhaust for my cars with mixed results

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2013, 05:29:09 pm »
you can get exhaust pase like gum gum in a tin or in a silicone type gun cartiridge,it goes rock ard tho and can be a pain to remove later if needed,a badgage repiar might work but looks crap imo

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2013, 05:32:02 pm »
Yea I don't want going down the road of making a dogs dinner of it, want to keep anything like that hidden, but like already said the scorpion can is that snug no gasket will fit, I have to twist the can on! Think silicone it up, got clear silicone so might not be to noticeable

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2013, 06:59:22 pm »
My Micron can doesn't use a gasket its such a snug fit, just murder it up. :evil
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2013, 07:04:18 pm »
My Micron can doesn't use a gasket its such a snug fit, just murder it up. :evil

Mine is the same. Just a snug fit with large jubilee type clips.

You still foc arsing around with that bike, Reilly!!!

I have an original unused gasket if you need it, just in case.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2013, 11:31:32 pm »
I am haha, thanks but bought a standard exhaust gasket for 9 quid and wel let's just says its in a better place now lol

Have to still get it on a dyno, was quoted 150 quid for it,

That's the thing though, have it tightened to the balls, but mine has a 30-40 degree turn just before the end can,( will take a picture if I can) but with this turn I don't think it's letting the end can down far enough on the pipe to make a good seal, it about a quarter or an inch past the slits in the can? Maybe not far enough? Have seen other exhausts of fazers that have a almost straight pipe in the end can

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2013, 12:09:29 am »
As the lads pointed out, you can get a load of different type stuff to seal it. You can get some stuff in the nearest car accessory shop, no problem. Is the baffle missing? Some of these systems come with removable baffles, and some owners junk them. Won't help yer cause if its missing. Having said that, my motad runs fine without a baffle.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2013, 12:51:23 am »
I am haha, thanks but bought a standard exhaust gasket for 9 quid and wel let's just says its in a better place now lol

That's the thing though, have it tightened to the balls, but mine has a 30-40 degree turn just before the end can,( will take a picture if I can) but with this turn I don't think it's letting the end can down far enough on the pipe to make a good seal, it about a quarter or an inch past the slits in the can? Maybe not far enough? Have seen other exhausts of fazers that have a almost straight pipe in the end can

An hours work is the hourly rate, the Dyno's normally chucked in with that!
Is where i go anyway!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2013, 08:18:23 am »

An hours work is the hourly rate, the Dyno's normally chucked in with that!
Is where i go anyway!

Across the pond here things are different, Darrsi. The problem over here is that there is not such a demand for Dyno shops so the prices tend to be higher. Also Dyno shops are far and few with no real competition so they can charge what they like.

Amazingly, in my City (2nd biggest in the country), as far as I know there is no Dyno shop here at all. I have to travel 90 miles to the next County to get a Dyno done. I think he charged me a lot more than what Padraig was quoted for my Bandit, and there was no special work done, just a simple dyno job. If I thought he was too pricey (which he was) and if  I wanted to go elsewhere, I would have to travel another 120 miles to the next guy which is impractical. So I had no other choice than to pay his kings ransom or not get it done at all.

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2013, 09:00:07 am »
I have Delkevic downpipes and a Scorpion end can (with Scorpion's own connecting pipe). At first, I too had a small leak between the end can and connecting pipe, but I sealed it up with some leftover silicone I had. Neither downpipe, nor end can came with a gasket. Guess both were truly just meant to be snug fits, that needed to be tightened together with the clamp ring. Obviously pretty wishful thinking, but the silicone cleared the problem up nicely. Could be that exhaust repair bandage will do the trick also, as somebody already commented.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2013, 09:27:05 am »
yeh that was me suggesting the bandage.....its a bit messy but as long as you clean the pipes before it drys its not a problem....i had a mis-match of link pipe and can ,the bangage filled the gap well and is readily available at local halfrauds  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2013, 03:13:06 pm »
Silicone today me thinks

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
I paid 35 quid for a dyno run of the diesel bike! That was in leatherhead, does your dyno include tuning etc?

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2013, 01:26:55 am »
I paid 35 quid for a dyno run of the diesel bike! That was in leatherhead, does your dyno include tuning etc?
It would have to be, that's why I'm doing it, can't get it tuned right by hand, and can't turn the 3rd cylinder fuel mix screw to hear the change in rev when tuning, pain in the whole to get to it,
He said 150 to dyno and 250 quid to dyno jet it

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2013, 07:58:59 am »
so its 250 including the tuning! Bloody hell. Let me find the details of the place I had mine done in.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2013, 08:11:44 pm »
so its 250 including the tuning! Bloody hell. Let me find the details of the place I had mine done in.

Wait, was talking to the guy today, maybe 300 he said, depends on how long it takes to tune and stip carbs, said if he does it carbs are being cleaned professionaly first)said I had a non standard downpours and end can and a free flow air intake( highflo) to be k&n soon

So I will probably need the stage 1 dyna jet kit and then tune it on the dyno whenever the jets arrive,

Anyone have this done before? As in got aftermarket jets and dyno?
« Last Edit: 20 February 2013, 08:13:19 pm by reillypadraig »

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2013, 11:54:41 pm »
That bike must be the most expensive non-running bike in Ireland!!  :'(

I think the guy that did my Bandit 12 in Tralee, charged about 300 bucks too.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 February 2013, 01:33:36 pm »
Lol, dead right packie, but a lot of knowledge and experience under the belt!!

My exhaust 99% fix :)

Look close enuf and u can see the silicone,

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2013, 05:50:53 pm »
...you could do with some of this!   :b