Date: 22-05-24  Time: 14:48 pm

Author Topic: Which Exhaust  (Read 12787 times)

swiss

• Cager in Training
  • 1 day I hope to do my bike justice
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Which Exhaust
« on: 25 September 2013, 12:14:31 pm »
Hi - looking at changing my end can to something that has a 'better' noise. I currently have the standard can on and just want 1 with a bit more presence I dont want a full blown race can as I ride 86 miles a day on roads and motorway (with ear plugs mind) but just want a nice sounding can ..... I have stainless downpipes already so does any one have any suggestions ??? :rolleyes   

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Which Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2013, 01:09:29 pm »
Bit of an open ended question to be honest, because there are so many to choose from and everyone on here will say their end can is great!
It's also down to how much you want to spend as well?

Here's video's of two that i have, the Moto GP one is baffled and marked up, so fully legal.
Quill do great exhausts too, although my one is not technically legal, but look on their site and they have plenty that are.  :)

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,8009.msg78492.html#msg78492
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2013, 02:14:30 pm »
Mine is the best but you can't have it because it is mine!

(Self Stubbied scorpion btw!)
Some say...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2013, 02:19:37 pm »
See..........i told you........ :lol

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2013, 02:30:26 pm »
I have a Scorpion too, sounds good without the baffle in :)  I've had other people tell me it sounds nice too, so it's not just me :D

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2013, 06:08:48 pm »
Just a word of advice. I searched the net for quite a while deciding which exhaust to fit to my FZS600. I wanted something a little fruity sounding but still road legal and opted for a Motogp carbon stubby from SP Engineering. Its a lovely exhaust. Good quality and well priced. The advert for the item quite clearly stated 'Road Legal'. However, when I took it for a recent MOT I got an advisory for the exhaust being loud (yes, the baffle is fitted). In fairness the exhaust is pretty loud but not what I would call offensive and especially not at 'tickover' which is the only revs the MOT tester heard it at.
I took this matter up with 'SP Engineering' and they stated that they didn't make road legal exhausts. The BS stamp means that the exhaust conforms to british standards in its materials and construction allegedly. Not that it is road legal. This is very annoying considering I would have purchased from a different manufacturer had I not been mislead at the time.
Besides, I have found that loud exhausts sound awesome up to a point but can also become a pain in the arse on longer rides so choose wisely  ;)
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2013, 06:52:20 pm »
I have one of these sounds, louder than standed pipe & nice with the baffle removed which can be fitted for M.O.T, it is not as loud as a race can.
   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS-600-Fazer-Venom-stainless-steel-road-legal-stainless-sports-Can-/161109928831?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2582e66b7f

You don't have to bid for this just give them a ring & you will get it for the price above.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2013, 06:57:52 pm by bandit »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2013, 07:03:16 pm »
Just a word of advice. I searched the net for quite a while deciding which exhaust to fit to my FZS600. I wanted something a little fruity sounding but still road legal and opted for a Motogp carbon stubby from SP Engineering. Its a lovely exhaust. Good quality and well priced. The advert for the item quite clearly stated 'Road Legal'. However, when I took it for a recent MOT I got an advisory for the exhaust being loud (yes, the baffle is fitted). In fairness the exhaust is pretty loud but not what I would call offensive and especially not at 'tickover' which is the only revs the MOT tester heard it at.
I took this matter up with 'SP Engineering' and they stated that they didn't make road legal exhausts. The BS stamp means that the exhaust conforms to british standards in its materials and construction allegedly. Not that it is road legal. This is very annoying considering I would have purchased from a different manufacturer had I not been mislead at the time.
Besides, I have found that loud exhausts sound awesome up to a point but can also become a pain in the arse on longer rides so choose wisely  ;)

So what about their FAQ's section that says this:

" 4. Can the exhaust be used on the road?

All our exhausts are supplied with removable baffles. With the baffle fitted these cans conform to British Standards and can be used on the road.

Our 300mm & 380mm exhausts are BSAU marked."

I carry this section around with me on paper so if i get any comebacks off it then my finger will definitely start pointing at them.
It was the main reason i bought it because of the markings and the above statement!!!  >:

I know what you mean about the noise though, that's why i put the Quill one on occasionally to give my ears a rest!
And i tried the Moto GP for about 5 seconds the other day without the baffle in and that's just a complete no no as well.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2013, 07:25:31 pm »

So what about their FAQ's section that says this:

" 4. Can the exhaust be used on the road?

All our exhausts are supplied with removable baffles. With the baffle fitted these cans conform to British Standards and can be used on the road.

Our 300mm & 380mm exhausts are BSAU marked."

I carry this section around with me on paper so if i get any comebacks off it then my finger will definitely start pointing at them.
It was the main reason i bought it because of the markings and the above statement!!!  >:

I know what you mean about the noise though, that's why i put the Quill one on occasionally to give my ears a rest!
And i tried the Moto GP for about 5 seconds the other day without the baffle in and that's just a complete no no as well.
I know Darrsi, I know, I know, I know (holding head in hands). It was the reason I bought mine as well but when I asked them the question a few weeks back after getting a fresh MOT the bottom line seemed to be that their exhausts are not 'road legal'. My discovery was obtained when I contacted them about whether they made a longer baffle for the Motogp can after obtaining my advisory. That's when I got my answer about them not making 'road legal' exhausts. I was kind of hoping it was a mis informed member of staff giving me my response rather than gospel. At least it was only an advisory. The MOT tester would have been well within his rights to have failed the bike on the loudness of the exhaust if he had wanted to despite the BS markings. After all the OE exhausts are road legal but if they are defective they will fail. My point being that even if something is BS stamped, doesn't mean it can't fail  :'(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2013, 07:34:01 pm »
I got an advisory the first time i put it on but he never saw the BSAU stamp and after i pointed it out he apologised and passed it the next time, no problem.

I wonder how you stand legally if they are selling it as road legal but they may not be?
As far as i'm concerned i bought it in good faith, but apparently due to false advertising.

Also, if they're telling you on their site about track regulations and excessive noise, but they're not road legal either, exactly where the bloody hell are you meant to use it then???  :rolleyes

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 September 2013, 08:16:50 pm »
I got an advisory the first time i put it on but he never saw the BSAU stamp and after i pointed it out he apologised and passed it the next time, no problem.

I wonder how you stand legally if they are selling it as road legal but they may not be?
As far as i'm concerned i bought it in good faith, but apparently due to false advertising.

Also, if they're telling you on their site about track regulations and excessive noise, but they're not road legal either, exactly where the bloody hell are you meant to use it then???  :rolleyes
I pointed out the BS stamp to my MOT tester and he still gave me the advisory  :o
Strangely enough I have just had a look on ebay at the SP engineering exhausts the same as mine and I can't find an advert that has the FAQ's section anymore or makes any reference to them being 'road legal'. It might be just me but I can't find anything. Have a butchers  :\

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2013, 08:30:36 pm »
 Hi swiss

you might find this interesting  got a delkevic on my thou  It not to loud with Db killer in but if I do say so myself sounds nice

Yamaha FZS600 Fazer with Delkevic 350mm Titanium slipon silencers

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2013, 08:31:51 pm »
Yeah it still says it, that's where i copied the above from.
Look on the FAQ's part on the SP Engineering website.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2013, 08:33:38 pm »
Maybe the BS stands for 'bullshit'  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2013, 12:28:27 pm »
Just did a Google search "SP Engineering road legal" and loads of people are saying that their exhausts are?
Also found this on Ebay:    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-ZZR1200-SP-ENGINEERING-BLACK-MOTO-GP-XL-ROAD-LEGAL-EXHAUSTS-/290960860610

I is confused?  :look

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2013, 03:48:28 pm »
Decided to contact SP Engineering myself and see what they had to say, this is how it went:

Hello there, there’s been a bit of a discussion on a bike forum I use about the legalities of your exhausts on the road and was wondering if you could give me a definitive answer?
I know your website says “BSAU marked Road Legal” and I purchased one of your Moto GP end cans because of this, but rather than having that nagging doubt in my mind I thought I’d ask the question direct.
Many thanks
Darren Silvester

Hi

Many thanks for your email, Please confirm the make, model, and exact model of exhaust we have supplied?

I bought the stainless Moto GP (stubby) for my Yamaha FZS 600

These are not marked road legal although have db killer for MOT use. The XLS range is slightly chunkier, (100x300) these are BSAU marked.

Hope this helps.

Mine does have the BSAU markings.I haven’t had any problems with MOT’s and I’ve never ridden on the road with the baffle out as it sounds a bit too lively, as you know.I wasn’t aware of any exhaust can actually being marked as “road legal”, or are you saying that the BSAU marking is enough as far as the police are concerned?

Exhausts are very GREY area! no stamp is required for MOT, would need to check with law, each application or view of policeman can vary!

Kind regards

David Pepler
 SP Engineering Motorcycle Exhausts & Accessories Ltd
 Unit 5 Keyford Court,
 Frome,
 Somerset,
 BA11 4BD

So, pick the bones out of that?

Not really the definitive answer i was looking for but i do appreciate that some police will overlook things, whereas if you've just flown past them at 140mph then they might not be as forgiving!
I think having the BSAU markings is a huge bonus if they do get a bit funny though, and i will continue carrying my paperwork stating that it's okay for road use with the DB killer fitted.  :smokin   

« Last Edit: 26 September 2013, 03:49:20 pm by darrsi »

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2013, 03:58:21 pm »
My understanding was, that as long as the exhaust isn't marked "not for road use" then it was legal. Since there isn't a specified dB that they must meet, you're then in the hands of the mot man as to whether it's too loud!

I  had a scorpion can, which was straight through and quite "lively", which was marked not for road use, but there are plenty louder that aren't stamp the same. Go figure!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2013, 04:10:36 pm »
There's a fella at my work that has a Soft Tail Harley and when he starts it up you could have 10 of my bikes next to it and you wouldn't even know the engines were running!
It's LOUD  :eek

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2013, 04:22:56 pm »
I do love my Blueflame can. Lovely sound and with the baffle in it is quite civilised.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 September 2013, 04:45:48 pm »
I have a Carbon Can Co oval road legal can fitted. I find its a love hate situation, on a long ride the extra noise can be tiring, despite earplugs!
On a short ride the 4 cylinder howl is quite cool.
Don't expect a power improvement . A race can will totally kill the mid range throttle responce.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 September 2013, 01:53:27 am »
Decided to contact SP Engineering myself and see what they had to say, this is how it went:

Hello there, there’s been a bit of a discussion on a bike forum I use about the legalities of your exhausts on the road and was wondering if you could give me a definitive answer?
I know your website says “BSAU marked Road Legal” and I purchased one of your Moto GP end cans because of this, but rather than having that nagging doubt in my mind I thought I’d ask the question direct.
Many thanks
Darren Silvester

Hi

Many thanks for your email, Please confirm the make, model, and exact model of exhaust we have supplied?

I bought the stainless Moto GP (stubby) for my Yamaha FZS 600

These are not marked road legal although have db killer for MOT use. The XLS range is slightly chunkier, (100x300) these are BSAU marked.

Hope this helps.

Mine does have the BSAU markings.I haven’t had any problems with MOT’s and I’ve never ridden on the road with the baffle out as it sounds a bit too lively, as you know.I wasn’t aware of any exhaust can actually being marked as “road legal”, or are you saying that the BSAU marking is enough as far as the police are concerned?

Exhausts are very GREY area! no stamp is required for MOT, would need to check with law, each application or view of policeman can vary!

Kind regards

David Pepler
 SP Engineering Motorcycle Exhausts & Accessories Ltd
 Unit 5 Keyford Court,
 Frome,
 Somerset,
 BA11 4BD

So, pick the bones out of that?

Not really the definitive answer i was looking for but i do appreciate that some police will overlook things, whereas if you've just flown past them at 140mph then they might not be as forgiving!
I think having the BSAU markings is a huge bonus if they do get a bit funny though, and i will continue carrying my paperwork stating that it's okay for road use with the DB killer fitted.  :smokin
That's interesting Darrsi. Like you say, it's not really a definitive answer from SPE. I bought mine through Ebay from SPE and I distinctly remember the advert stating that the exhaust was BS stamped and road legal. I guess SPE are now suggesting that although it is BS stamped its not marked 'road legal' ? I don't know any bike exhausts that are  :rolleyes . In fairness, my MOT tester didn't say it was illegal he just said it was too loud and gave me an advisory.
confused.com  :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 September 2013, 06:19:01 am »
I've read quite a few times that replacement exhausts should be no louder than a stock exhaust in which case the mass majority should fail an MOT but it's down to the discretion of the tester.
As i said earlier my work mate's Harley takes the piss as far as noise levels go, as do most Harley's, but they still seem to be riding the streets legally with admiration for their noise so yer man from SPE isn't wrong when he says it's a very grey area.
I think the trick is to be as polite as possible to Mr Plod and maybe carry fresh doughnuts as a peace gesture.  :b

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 September 2013, 12:40:32 am »
The reason that Harleys scrape through the noise regs is due to the firing order of the engines and therefore the tone of the exhaust. Its due to the fact that it is not a constant drone and is more intermittent. Whereas an inline 4 has a constant exhaust note at any given rpm.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 September 2013, 08:29:29 am »
The reason that Harleys scrape through the noise regs is due to the firing order of the engines and therefore the tone of the exhaust. Its due to the fact that it is not a constant drone and is more intermittent. Whereas an inline 4 has a constant exhaust note at any given rpm.

Noise is noise as far as i'm concerned!  :look 

I can honestly say my neighbours would hate me more if i owned matey at work's Harley than my bike!

« Last Edit: 28 September 2013, 10:24:39 am by darrsi »

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 September 2013, 02:00:43 pm »
Must admit I don't see the fuss that people have with cans. It's now entirely up to your MOT tester what he'll pass, providing of course that the can doesn't have "race use only" stamped on it. I've had some pretty damn loud bikes over the years, and as most of my MOT testers have been sensible types, provided I stick the baffle back in before I go they're absolutely fine (the proper type of MOT tester that isn't fussed about slightly smaller plates and aftermarket exhausts, but instead checks the important bits of the bike that actually make it road worthy).
Only bike I've ever had that I thought I might not get through an MOT as it was SO bloody loud was my ZX9R, it started off with an SP Engineering tri oval stubby with a removable baffle - I used to run it without the baffle as it had been jetted to suit and lost about 8hp with it in, but that was loud. Stuck that in for its first MOT and it went through as the baffle was in, although the MOT tester did ask me to take it out just so he could hear how it sounded without! Then got the chance to pick up a full akrapovic racing system for it off eBay, with one of their race (no baffle fitted) cans. It did originally have a "not for road use" strap on it, so took that off and fitted a blank, then took it to the MOT centre to get it checked out (can was also slightly cut down, so by god that roared), and he said as it didn't have a baffle fitted as standard, but wasn't marked "not for road use", it'd be fine!

Just depends where you get your MOT done to be honest, I'm of the opinion that get whatever you like the sound of, and just find an MOT tester that isn't a bit of a nob!