Date: 30-04-24  Time: 12:00 pm

Author Topic: A lovely day to be sat at the side of the road !  (Read 1496 times)

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
A lovely day to be sat at the side of the road !
« on: 27 June 2013, 03:32:02 pm »
Well it had to happen eventually

2003 gen 1 thou  abit strange this one last night I went to check the bike as I haddent used it for a couple of weeks and the battery was flat (just clicling when I hit the starter button) jumped it of aanother battery  and she started first time warmed her up left her to run for a good 20 mins , stopper her , no warning lights or rev counter error codes . but still the battery was flat .

I left it connected to the other battery overnight and again this morning it was still flat but jump started easily

As I pulled away all the lights went out the speedo and rev counter all died ! the only thing working was the multigauge !

but the bike was running fine ! I did a half hour run still nothing every now and then all would burst into life then die again !

stopped the bike and it was still flat !

I went to my appointment and jumped the bike still easily  but still no lights or speedo and rev counter !

I road for about five minutes the the bike started to pop bag and slowly dies till it got to tick over speeds at which it ran fine !

I then got to spend a lazy hour and a half waitting to be recovered !

anyway , My thinking is the battery has died but still had a bit of life in it , but is no longer accepting a charge so once the battery power level got so low it could no longer run the bike ?

My question is if its why wasnt the charge from the bike alternater keeping it going , ( as yet I havent been able to test to see if it is sending out a charge )

anyone have any other ideas ? some thing I might need to check ?

I will check and clean all the connections as well as charge the battery   

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: A lovely day to be sat at the side of the road !
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2013, 04:45:16 pm »
Aside from confirming that the battery will take and hold a full charge, next check this:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/eskortsdefectiveconnectorreplacement.shtml

:)

Mike

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2013, 09:33:19 pm »
If the battery is THAT flat that it can't hold a charge, your alternator won't be able to run the bike. The bike runs off the battery, so irregardless of how that is being charged if it can't output a decent supply then the bike will conk out. Bit strange that the engine was still running though without the clocks and that on!

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2013, 10:35:45 am »
My blackbird did something similar, I fitted a new battery and no problems after, annoyingly the battery wasn't that old,the optimate killed that battery.

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2013, 12:43:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies

Mike I did look at that mod but checked mine last year cleaned it and it did seem fine so left well along The old addage ( if it ant broke don't fix it )  maybe I should now though

Solo Mines a fairly new battery , one of the motobats glass mat ones but I don't have power to my garage so I can only connect it to another charged battery  with some small jump leads I made !

hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to have a route around clean and check the bits and bobs and try charging the battery

need to fine a electrical tester as well

« Last Edit: 28 June 2013, 12:44:07 pm by snapper »

fazer-rat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thunderace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2013, 09:42:27 pm »
My blackbird did something similar, I fitted a new battery and no problems after, annoyingly the battery wasn't that old,the optimate killed that battery.
glad its not just me,, used to charge my batteries once a month,, then plugged an optimate in and totally killed the battery
best thing is to take it off the bike when parking it up.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2013, 02:23:45 am »
Get your battery "load-tested" (a load test is NOT a voltage test).

Reg / rec is worth checking too (bear in mind a failed r/r can take a battery with it).

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2013, 07:55:32 am »
Get your battery "load-tested" (a load test is NOT a voltage test).

Reg / rec is worth checking too (bear in mind a failed r/r can take a battery with it).
....yep defo chk the reg/rectifier my mate had a very similar prob with his bandit 12 replaced battery and still did it 2wks later and that ended up being a very green" plug connector to the reg/rec, but he put a new one on anyway!! ;)