Date: 30-04-24  Time: 13:49 pm

Author Topic: How do you cope with glasses?  (Read 9851 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: How do you cope with glasses?
« Reply #25 on: 14 August 2013, 11:30:40 am »
yep...i struggled like you DEADEYE...fitting them for the first time in the shop...had trouble seeing to put the first one in,once i had it in i could see to put the other one in  :lol .....the girl in specsavers was really helpfull.they are great when on the bike if iam out all day but not worth the time fitting for a short trip to the shops  ;) 
One, is never going to be enough.....

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 August 2013, 11:42:08 am »
Agreed, I use them occasionally for long trips out on the bike, but more often than not I just don't bother with them anymore. I have no real issue with wearing my glasses thankfully but it would be nice to not have to

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 August 2013, 12:18:54 pm »
Ive always wore glasses for the 30 years ive been riding, back in the day when you could only get your specks from very expensive opticians it was always a case of getting the specks for me first and the fit in the helmet came 2nd, gradually I learned that I need thin frames with taller lenses which made it tricky to get ones that I like to be seen in the rest of the time. But now I use an online glasses seller, you get your prescription from wherever and then order (free) 4 pairs at a time to try, my problem has always been that I have a thin head and the last glasses I had were sponge bob square pants as they were a perfect fit. Now the online seller gives all the dimensions of width height of lens and length of arm so after trying 12 pairs I now have the ones to be seen in and a perfect pair for the helmet, which are wire arms but strong enough to push on, rimless on the bottom and an oval lens that drops down low, and they are actually women's glasses !!. The problem I always had is that I push on the glasses and then they pop up on my face and don't sit right. So now I have the perfect pair and very very cheep.
Never had a problem with misting on the glasses untill I used the mouth mask that came with the hat which just directed me breath to the glasses
« Last Edit: 14 August 2013, 12:22:10 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 August 2013, 12:45:39 pm »
Pinlock. No more fogging even with glasses. This in an Arai Chaser-V.
That and I now wear contacts - which admittedly adds up to more than glasses per year (circa £30 a month), but the money I've saved in petrol changing to a 600 fazer from a 1100 boxer twin more than covers that anyway. :) 

fazed600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 August 2013, 09:00:40 pm »
I've always worn glasses, last time I checked I was outside the tolerances for laser surgery due to my astigmatism. Didn't really get on with contacts so I'm stuck with specs for now. I've a got a Shoei helmet that has cut outs for specs I've also got specs with straight arms that don't rely on hooking over the ear. The Shoei has pin lock visor that prevents most of the misting.

As others point out you do need to move your head more at junctions etc so you are looking through the lens and not out the side but this isn't an issue.

The only thing I find an issue with is really dense fog that creates a film on the visor that constantly needs wiping off, without specs you would just be able to flick the visor up and blink but with specs this is no longer an option as the lenses just get coated in a fine mist. Thankfully pretty rare for fog to be that bad.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 August 2013, 10:23:57 pm »
Caberg flip front with glasses seating. Done me proud.  :)
The Deef's apprentice

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 August 2013, 10:33:56 pm »
So the glasses seating does help??

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 August 2013, 10:40:23 pm »
So the glasses seating does help??

Like mad.

I had (until a little shit dropped it) an Xpeed lid, which was lighter than my everyday, flip front Caberg. In better nick too. The Xpeed hurt my ears at anything over a 30 min run. And as only spec wearers know, sore ears are AGONY. My glasses have a smallish frame too, which helps.
The Deef's apprentice

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 August 2013, 09:05:50 pm »
Whether you wear specs or not a foggy mask can be really good on cold dark winter days, keeps your snout warm and you can see better at night without a pinlock insert and it's starring of headlights etc.

I bought a foggy mask at the weekend, and it's definitely worth the £13 I paid for it as it seems to have cut my glasses misting down a lot.
It's not perfect though, it still mists up if not adjusted properly, but it's 90% effective.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 August 2013, 09:57:39 pm »
Whether you wear specs or not a foggy mask can be really good on cold dark winter days, keeps your snout warm and you can see better at night without a pinlock insert and it's starring of headlights etc.

I bought a foggy mask at the weekend, and it's definitely worth the £13 I paid for it as it seems to have cut my glasses misting down a lot.
It's not perfect though, it still mists up if not adjusted properly, but it's 90% effective.

It's summer  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 August 2013, 11:00:01 pm »

It's summer  :lol

Still chilly when I leave for work at 4 in the morning.  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 August 2013, 06:48:08 am »
 :smokin

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 August 2013, 02:48:08 pm »
i wear contacts most for bike jouneys ,when wearing glasses i find they juder up and down over 70mph distorting vision .just think of eric morcombe jiggigiling them  up and down .! get the idea??

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 November 2013, 04:23:06 pm »
Pinlock. No more fogging even with glasses. This in an Arai Chaser-V.That and I now wear contacts - which admittedly adds up to more than glasses per year (circa £30 a month), but the money I've saved in petrol changing to a 600 fazer from a 1100 boxer twin more than covers that anyway. :) 

Caberg flip front with glasses seating. Done me proud.  :)

Sorry for the 'thread from the dead' here, but thought I'd share my pinlock experiences. I bought a Caberg Duke and so my foggy mask wasn't useable, but luckily it came with a pinlock. This worked a treat for the visor at first (frigging glasses fogged up straight away - will have to find some way of attaching the foggy mask), but when the recent cold weather hit us I found the visor fogging up inside the pinlock more than outside. Turns out there's a gap between the pinlock and the visor that I couldn't get rid of.

So here's my handy tip for pinlock owners: Get a tube of clear gasket sealant and, very carefully, lay a bead around the edge of the pinlock. I held the visor in a soft jawed vice for this as the last thing you want is to slip and get sealant everywhere. Seeing as it never sets solid, it's perfect for making an air tight seal.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 November 2013, 05:14:31 pm »
Don't forget that you can adjust pinlock!

Pinlock "pins" on the visor are eccentric so by turning them you can tighten or loosen the seal between the insert and visor. You should be able to achieve a tight seal by positioning the insert correctly and adjusting correctly.

Depending on the type of pin, you might be able to adjust with a small flat blade or philips screwdriver, small spanner/socket whilst the insert is in place. If the pins are blank, they might be the type where you have to remove the insert, push and then turn the pin before refitting the insert.

Thought I'd remind folks as I've met loadsa people who weren't aware of this design feature  :rolleyes Worth checking yours is adjusted correctly before going to the lengths Mr self destruct did, although I imagine that's a sure way to get a good seal too.

BorisTheThird

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 November 2013, 06:07:20 pm »
dont wear glasses personally, but HJC helmets have a groove for your glasses to sit in and not push into your head

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05 November 2013, 06:15:36 pm »
Don't forget that you can adjust pinlock!

Pinlock "pins" on the visor are eccentric so by turning them you can tighten or loosen the seal between the insert and visor. You should be able to achieve a tight seal by positioning the insert correctly and adjusting correctly.

Depending on the type of pin, you might be able to adjust with a small flat blade or philips screwdriver, small spanner/socket whilst the insert is in place. If the pins are blank, they might be the type where you have to remove the insert, push and then turn the pin before refitting the insert.

Thought I'd remind folks as I've met loadsa people who weren't aware of this design feature  :rolleyes Worth checking yours is adjusted correctly before going to the lengths Mr self destruct did, although I imagine that's a sure way to get a good seal too.

I should have mentioned I adjusted the pins the first time I got the helmet!  :o

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 November 2013, 07:00:48 pm »
I should have mentioned I adjusted the pins the first time I got the helmet!  :o

Sorry, wasn't aiming my comment at you personally, but thought I'd mention it for the benefit of those out there who might have missed that detail (or those guilty of not reading the manual  :b )

taurus66

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Kawasaki ZR7S
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 November 2013, 07:06:40 pm »
No problem wearing glasses with any of my helmets.

brewking

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 November 2013, 08:14:40 pm »
Caberg EGO no problem with glasses for me. Helmet has a flip down sun visor so good on the rare sunny days. Also has the essential Pinlock visor so no fogging.

You could get some of those memory metal spectacles that can bend so sit in any helmet nicely.

I think the armed forced have requirements somewhere that you cannot be selected for certain roles if you have had laser eye surgery. Must be something wrong with it? I would be worried about scar tissue etc..

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 12 November 2013, 08:35:29 pm »
Caberg EGO no problem with glasses for me. Helmet has a flip down sun visor so good on the rare sunny days. Also has the essential Pinlock visor so no fogging.

You could get some of those memory metal spectacles that can bend so sit in any helmet nicely.

I think the armed forced have requirements somewhere that you cannot be selected for certain roles if you have had laser eye surgery. Must be something wrong with it? I would be worried about scar tissue etc..

I believe it may have something to do with night vision, which can affect some people who have had surgery, which is kind of weird 'cos if you lost your glasses or contacts in the field then you'd be a lot worse off.

scratch it

• Cager in Training
  • if it itches scratch it
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13 November 2013, 07:22:10 pm »
I use glasses all the time , as i returned to biking after a few years away now wearing glasses i found helmet choice made a difference for me.

Tried all the leading brands and settled for AGV,    In the old days i used a spot of washing up liquid rubbed on the lens or visor always worked for me. 
it's a good life when your wife encourages you to go out and ride at the weekend, 

in wife speak ( get out of the house )

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 November 2013, 04:20:35 pm »
I've just ordered a foggy mask for €19.99 off a local site, should have it tomorrow.

I have glasses but never wear them, my Shark Vision R lid has recesses for glasses so with the foggy mask I may actually throw them on and see a bit better. I'm about borderline, any worse and I would need to wear them for my license but I usually wear them in the car.

Chin curtain may have to be removed from the helmet to let that warm air out of the helmet though  :o

Nero247

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 30 November 2013, 06:18:22 pm »
I've always worn glasses so it doesn't bother me one bit.
But with a bike helmet it gets annoying when you go to buy a new one and find one that fits, but the decider is if the padding will give for the glasses and if they are comfortable when you wear them. Another thing which is super annoying is when you stop at traffic lights or at a junction and your glasses fog up when you breathe. I just hold my breath for a minute lol

bristol banger

• DAS Born Again
  • smooth an silky
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 01 December 2013, 08:40:23 am »
I have been wearing glasses for 20 years, when I get a new set I take my helmet with me I narrow it down to a few pairs that don't make me look too stupid then try them with the helmet on. Fogging when sat at traffic lights is a pain but once on the move it soon clears.
Bollocks, bigger hammer required