Date: 30-04-24  Time: 17:39 pm

Author Topic: Help please!! Hate riding on motorways.......  (Read 15428 times)

N A Chess

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Help please!! Hate riding on motorways.......
« on: 30 July 2013, 05:01:45 pm »
The reason??  I get battered to f@ck by the wind - and that, along with the resultant noise comparable to sticking my head out of a car window at 100mph means I get no pleasure from motorway riding and try to avoid if I can.

It seems that the laws of physics and mathematics has resulted in my 6'3" frame and double bubble screen creating a perfect collision area of wind blast direct to me at face level.   :'( [size=78%]  [/size]
[/size]
[/size]If I lean forward, it eases slightly, but I cannot ride like that permanently.[size=78%]

I'd welcome the views and advice of similarly tall riders who have a set-up that is more comfortable than mine.  I currently have a powerbronze double-bubble.

Many thanks. Ride safe.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Help please!! Hate riding on motorways.......
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2013, 05:25:05 pm »
Im 5'10 and have the standard screen on mine and have exactly the same problem.

I find it boring, loud and uncofortable on motorways. Luckily most of my journeys are in town so its not that bad.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2013, 05:28:37 pm »
Hiya fella,

Same height as you and to be honest suffer the same with my boxeye. I fitted a double bubble thinking it would improve matters and it made feck all difference.....may have made it slightly worse to be honest. Solution in my mind is to fit a touring screen but don't know anyone who has one fitted to ask. It worked on my other bikes so should do the same on the Fazer.

My main commuter is a Tiger and is more comfy. The only way I can reduce the chest buffeting on the Fazer (i ride at 90mph on the motorway) is to tuck in a bit to the tank.

Not much help I know but you're not alone. I've got my eye on this which is taller [size=78%]http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Yamaha_FZS600S_Fazer_1998-2001_MRA_Motorcycle_Touring_Screens.html[/size]

Best of luck [size=78%][/size]
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2013, 05:50:03 pm »
Wear earplugs and keep it at 70. If that is still too annoying for you then find an a road alternative :)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2013, 05:55:12 pm »
Yup ear plugs a must for motorway, reduce fatigue and protect from hearing damage

The mra vario screens do look good, milk try myself when can afford

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2013, 06:03:19 pm »
Yup go with ear plugs and maybe a standard screen.
I'm 6'2 and don't have much of an issue, just try to avoid them as they are boring anyway. :lol
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2013, 06:31:54 pm »
I'm 6'1" and had the same problem to begin with. Guess I've just gotten used to, cos it just doesn't bother me anymore.  :lol  I'm just more bored with driving on a straight motorway, so I stick to small roads anyway.

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2013, 06:37:17 pm »
I spend an hour on the M1 every day and wouldn't dream of doing it without earplugs.
I'm 5'11" and if I'm riding at 80 (which I usually am) then it helps a lot to crouch down behind the screen. I've just got a standard screen.
But earplugs do make a huge difference to your perception of the wind. If it's quiet then you don't notice the buffeting nearly so much

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2013, 06:44:18 pm »
I used to do 30k/year on my old boxeye, 75% m/ways. I had an unknown d/b screen and I'm 6'1". I found it bearable at 70-80, but over that speed you just get fatigued very quick because of the wind blast.
Find a set of effective earplugs, and use them EVERY trip! And don't forget to relax, very important!!
enjoy. :D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2013, 06:57:17 pm »
I'm 6'1 and commute 50 miles along the M6 every day so can sympathise.

Firstly, I can't recommend a good set of earplugs enough, and apparently helmet choice makes a big difference though I have no experience of that, having only ever owned one.

As for the buffeting, I only find it a problem if going over 90 or being too close to the car in front.
The turbulence from a car, van or lorry has a much greater effect on me than higher speeds, does anyone else find this?
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2013, 06:58:50 pm »
I think I've just got used to it. Had a 650 Bandit for a while and it was a bugger for the wind but eventually got used to that but the engine and fairing on the foxeye is better.

A good lid (Shoei XR1000) and ear plugs make a massive difference

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2013, 07:28:25 pm »
I feel your pain, I'm trekking over the M62 twice a week now and the old head's suffering a bit. I'm stuck behind a Puig DB screen and frankly I don't think it's doing anything for me. Tempting by the MRA X-creen add on thing but would like to try a bog standard screen just to see if the DB is making any difference.

Cheers,
Rob
a mere 6' and a bit  :lol

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2013, 07:42:38 pm »
The reason??  I get battered to f@ck by the wind - and that, along with the resultant noise comparable to sticking my head out of a car window at 100mph means I get no pleasure from motorway riding and try to avoid if I can.

It seems that the laws of physics and mathematics has resulted in my 6'3" frame and double bubble screen creating a perfect collision area of wind blast direct to me at face level.   :'( [size=78%]  [/size]

If I lean forward, it eases slightly, but I cannot ride like that permanently.[size=78%]

I'd welcome the views and advice of similarly tall riders who have a set-up that is more comfortable than mine.  I currently have a powerbronze double-bubble.

Many thanks. Ride safe.
[/size]
[size=78%]

The problem is that the air that the screen is displacing has to flow somewhere, at 6'3" you're going to need a pretty tall screen to try & deflect it over your head, so you would probably be better off going in the other direction & opting for a smaller screen in order to take it on your chest as that would be less of a discomfort than your present set up.[/size]

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2013, 07:51:42 pm »
I'm 6'1 and commute 50 miles along the M6 every day so can sympathise.

Firstly, I can't recommend a good set of earplugs enough, and apparently helmet choice makes a big difference though I have no experience of that, having only ever owned one.

As for the buffeting, I only find it a problem if going over 90 or being too close to the car in front.
The turbulence from a car, van or lorry has a much greater effect on me than higher speeds, does anyone else find this?
Yep, forgot about a good helmet making all the difference, and Transit vans! They create the most hideous turbulence. Get away from the buggers. Keep a bigger distance than usual from the car/van infront, or get past them >:D

N A Chess

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2013, 08:57:39 pm »
Thanks for all your responses.  Glad it's not just me........but you all have my sympathy.

Definitely going for the earplugs option and will try original screen again.

Agreed re overtaking large lorries. The turbulence can be pretty unnerving when combined with an already windy day/heavy rain etc.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2013, 09:05:11 pm »
5 foot 8 same thing,
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 July 2013, 08:47:54 am »
Definitely you want to be riding in earplugs at all times. Tinnitus is a real hazard to bikers with all the wind noise you get subjected to - even in a decent lid.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 July 2013, 08:53:44 am »
I'm 6ft and run the standard screen on my FZ6 - I find it ok up to 70mph, beyond that it gets irritating, at 90 it's intolerable (I seldom use earplugs).
That said, I did quickly learn to pipe the pace down a bit for that reason which saved me 3 points / £60 from a hidden scamera on the A1.

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 July 2013, 11:27:13 am »
Thought I would chip in,

I am 6ft to be honest I don't have a problem with it but I only ride a short motorway distance. One thing I will say is its nowhere near as bad as naked fazer!

Get yourself a decent helmet. Shucberth (dunno how to spell it) are the quietest helmets on the market. You can get a touring screen, givi or mra with the wind deflector on the top. Failing that tuck down behind the fairing like a sportsbike. If that don't work then I am affraid you might need to buy a car!! The joys of motorcycling!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 July 2013, 01:07:29 pm »
To be honest the Fazer isn't that amazing at motorway riding, the fairing (particularly on the boxeye I found) is quite small, so you don't really get a lot of protection! Best I've ever had was on my old ZX9R, had a lovely big fairing and that combined with a double bubble screen meant that cruising at about 120/130 was extremely easy, too easy for my liking! I'll definitely be having another one some day though - was possibly the most practical and day-long usable sports bike I've ever, or known anyone else to have owned!
If you want real fairing protection, probably best to buy a properly faired bike?

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 July 2013, 03:35:06 pm »
Or not ride at 130mph! Unless you want to loose your licence!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2013, 03:47:14 pm »
Or not ride at 130mph! Unless you want to loose your licence!

I didn't mean that he should, I was more trying to show just how big a difference a fairing could make!
Still, the M11/A14 late at night is one particular road that's rather useful for getting quickly from the midlands to London!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 July 2013, 07:46:11 pm »
I just move back on the seat and tuck down. If you're uncomfortable tucking down you could carry a bag with you and lean on the bag.

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2013, 08:10:37 am »
Earplugs help me relax a great deal when on the motorways, makes the background noise more of a quiet hum

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2013, 09:36:27 am »
I also have a set of speakers in my helmet for when I'm cruising on the motorway, that helps you chill out a bit, and you have to keep the speed down slightly so you can hear it. Useful on longer journeys.:D