Date: 30-04-24  Time: 14:30 pm

Author Topic: Filtering  (Read 6726 times)

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
Re: Filtering
« Reply #25 on: 24 July 2013, 12:45:21 am »
See here -> http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,8995.0.html

I don't usually commute and I haven't been past my DAS that long, but anyway was filtering like a good un the other morning. I must have passed 2 miles worth of traffic in and around Leeds. I was being courteous, taking it easy and all that. Lots of cars / vans / trucks / buses moved over. (Thanks). Just the 2 jokers that spoilt it.

Anyhoo, I was mostly along the centre line between 2 lanes and noticed the back end was well lively over white lines, cats eyes, rubbish concrete joints, etc. heart in the mouth stuff when you've got vehicles either side.

DBo.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #26 on: 24 July 2013, 06:49:15 am »
If they're going to fine motorists/motorcyclists for breaking the rules, then they need a major clampdown on cyclists who do. I know it's a generalisation, but cyclists seem to think they can do any bloody thing. Course it's always somebody else's fault if they get knocked off :rolleyes

When on a bicycle:

A yield sign = what it says.
A stop sign = a yield sign.
A green light = a yield sign.
A red light = a yield sign.

That's how I behave. Neve had any problems, except when considering green light as a go sign, instead of a yield sign. Some cagers don't like it, but I don't care, as long as I don't get fined. I DO make sure not to give any trouble to anyone - don't run in front of cars, do it only when it is free from crossing traffic. I even make sure not to scare the crossing traffic: if I can fly by before they arrive, I never do it because it will make them scared, perhaps brake or swerve. But when the traffic is clear... like I said: red light is a yield sign on a bicycle.

Fair enough. My post was based on IAM guidelines and avoids the idiots who think that Amber means "go" or problems such as you accidentally bogging down when you pull away and having someone run into you from behind.

I will, depending on circumstances "assertively position" myself in front of cars (eg if I'm turning right) or if there's traffic parked on the left just after the lights meaning that I'll have to try and merge into a moving stream of vehicles which are going faster because they've had time to accelerate from the lights.

Makes sense. I move in front but stay to the side of the car when possible - so they can move past me in the same lane. Do it on the motorcycle, wouldn't do it otherwise on a bicycle. Just to be safe.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 July 2013, 08:57:47 am »
Slaninar, why would you not stop for a red light if riding on the road? A red light is an IMPERATIVE for ALL traffic. Also see far too many cyclists coming to a red light and just bombing over the pavement, scaring the life out of pedestrians. I know it's not ALL cyclists, but as with thoughtless motorcyclists, it gives the rest of you a bad name.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #28 on: 24 July 2013, 09:25:54 am »
Slaninar, why would you not stop for a red light if riding on the road?

Because nobody is coming across - why wait?

A red light is an IMPERATIVE for ALL traffic.

But if I don't get fined, AND don't cause any harm - who cares.  :)

Also see far too many cyclists coming to a red light and just bombing over the pavement, scaring the life out of pedestrians. I know it's not ALL cyclists, but as with thoughtless motorcyclists, it gives the rest of you a bad name.

I don't sweat about that much. "Haters gonna hate" as they say. Stereotypes and so can't be avoided - some like (motor)cycles, some hate them. This morning at the bank, a very nice female clerk was explaining how she was scared of motorcycles and how she doesn't like 'em. I said that I'm nice and she shouldn't fear.     :rolleyes          :lol
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 July 2013, 10:39:21 am »
I once stopped at a red light in a bus / cycle lane in London. I don't usually jump red lights on a bicycle but on this occasion there was no reason for me to stop - except for the bike cop stopped at the lights. He looked over, nodded at me and said "Don't be silly - get on your way"
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24 July 2013, 11:51:02 am »
When driving my truck if its safe to do so I drive down the centre line and keep as close to centre refuge areas as possible, the amount of debris that comes up is amazing. I do the same when it snows too, trying to keep the bits the bikes use clear of grit building up. You can do this in cars too.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 July 2013, 11:59:06 am »

I wouldn't recommend that, it's aggressive and can lead to problems (as you've noticed). I prefer to filter up to the gap behind the first car stopped at traffic lights etc and then wait for the lights to change. If they've seen you and wait, then go ahead and give them a nice "thank you" wave,

In London you really don't want to do that, instead filter to the front and if you get there early in the traffic lights phase and there is room before the pedestrians bit, manouvre your bike on front of one of the cars at the head of the queue, this allows other bikers to filter to the front and get in 'pole position' as it were. I know this might sound aggressive and maybe it shouldn't be reccomended, but bikers in London do it anyway and cagers are resigned to it.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #32 on: 24 July 2013, 12:22:44 pm »
The only other issue with being aggressive and filtering right to the front, is if you are prompt in setting off as the light change, watch out for other cars jumping the red light and crossing in front of you! I've now got into the habit of doing a double take left/right, before flooring it. Loads of times I've done this but the scooter boy beside me has just hammered it and narrowly missed a red light jumper!

It may piss off those behind you, but it's better to hesitate on setting off, than have to put the anchors on half way across the junction and have the car behind up your ass

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 July 2013, 12:46:25 pm »
Being a derbyshire/yorkshire dales kinda rider  (country bumpkin) I don't have much cause to, but on trips into sheffield/york etc its pretty much a given or you sit there marinating in your kit. Practice practice practice, but never put yourself out of your comfort zone - and NEVER assume that they have seen you. Don't go any faster than you can stop in a hurry and be prepared for right turns/uturns out of nowhere.

I have to give massive props to the london riders out there that filter as they must have their testicles surgically enlarged to fight through that mobile carpark the M25 and the inner city traffic.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 July 2013, 03:09:50 pm »
If they're going to fine motorists/motorcyclists for breaking the rules, then they need a major clampdown on cyclists who do. I know it's a generalisation, but cyclists seem to think they can do any bloody thing. Course it's always somebody else's fault if they get knocked off :rolleyes

Unfortunately, cyclists can pretty much get away with anything, seeing how there's no way to positively identify them.

Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 July 2013, 03:18:05 pm »
DNA testing from the blood you scrape up ?  :eek

Unfortunately, cyclists can pretty much get away with anything, seeing how there's no way to positively identify them.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 July 2013, 06:19:06 pm »
DNA testing from the blood you scrape up ?  :eek

[/size]Might have to, dental records won't help once I've finished with the fuckers. [size=78%] ;)

Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 July 2013, 07:00:10 pm »
I was filtering leading up to a roundabout the car on my right moved over so I had to move and was hit by the car on my left, my leg and arm/hand took the impact so no damage to the bike, the cars mirror folded back, so no damage there, so quite lucky all told :D

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 July 2013, 07:41:42 pm »
I was filtering leading up to a roundabout the car on my right moved over so I had to move and was hit by the car on my left, my leg and arm/hand took the impact so no damage to the bike, the cars mirror folded back, so no damage there, so quite lucky all told :D

Always got to be careful when filtering up to junctions/roundabouts etc, as cars often change lanes at the last minute as you know!

I tend to slide back in line with traffic, 5-6 cars early when filtering down in that situation

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #39 on: 25 July 2013, 01:12:46 am »
Slaninar, why would you not stop for a red light if riding on the road?

Because nobody is coming across - why wait?

Because whenver I or any other cyclist get into discussions of the subject with other on the internet or Councils or others start considering cycling safety etc it's the cyclists who ignore red lights that get brought up and the rest of us get tarred with the same brush.

And it's all very well saying "nothing was coming across" apart from the time when you didn't spot that someone *was* coming across...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #40 on: 25 July 2013, 01:14:32 am »
In London you really don't want to do that, instead filter to the front and if you get there early in the traffic lights phase and there is room before the pedestrians bit, manouvre your bike on front of one of the cars at the head of the queue, this allows other bikers to filter to the front and get in 'pole position' as it were. I know this might sound aggressive and maybe it shouldn't be reccomended, but bikers in London do it anyway and cagers are resigned to it.

I have only rarely ridden in London, but when I do, I just make sure I get out of the way of the bikers who want to do this sort of thing.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 July 2013, 06:50:17 am »
60+ million people; 35million road vehicles- with the biggest percentage in Greater London/SE England. As a Londoner(by birth) & a Midlander by circumstance I am very glad I don't have to commute by any means of transport anymore. I am one lucky f****r who can ride for pleasure nowadays-mostly heading west of Brum for the joys of Welsh roads. As a retiree(& ex long distance cage,van & truck driver & two-wheel rider-including cycles & reluctant pedestrian!)) I can see the difficulties each group of road users has to face. Sadly its impossible to remove the selfish thoughtless incompetent & downright dangerous road "sharers"-but as motorcyclists we are at least aware of the dangers out there & guess we need to be entirely selfish regarding self-preservation. Theres no hard & fast rules that cover every scenario. Just have to apply commonsense! :eek

helen

• Lab spammer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati M800 S2R
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25 July 2013, 05:33:15 pm »
I don't have to filter very often, but have noticed that these days more and more cars do seem to move over, create more space for you and generally acknowledge the presence of motorbikes on the road. Dunno if it's because they spend more time in traffic jams these days or what, but it has made riding the bike much more pleasurable  :)
The lab spammer returns