Date: 30-04-24  Time: 15:34 pm

Author Topic: Please help to diagnose a noise?  (Read 6135 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Please help to diagnose a noise?
« Reply #25 on: 25 October 2013, 08:26:47 pm »
What side is the noise coming from when you sit on the bike, when you sit on the bike & duck your head down towards either side of the tank then does it come from the right???, ive got a ticking noise from that areabut i presume it is just the cam chain so i dont worry about it....my bike still runs fine...does your bike run ok?...did the noise start soon after doing the sprocket nut?...& do you mean the chain moves 1 inch up & 1 inch down....or 1/2 inch each way???
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 October 2013, 11:11:00 pm »
by tractor i mean its a more gruff rumbly chugging noise than it is a sewing machine noise. it might be that the cam chain could be just on the way out, and its going to get more rattly if left unchecked.

Thanks for the rag tip. the exhaust is pretty loud so it does make determining location of noise a little awkward.

tried it on the centre stand in gear and yep, that chain does slap a bit.

Don't feel anything through my feet unfortunately so nothing there.

I will try and record it tomorrow and get it uploaded.

i've done the front sprocket nut upgrade so that certainly shouldn't be the cause.  good point about the sprocket being worn though. haven't checked that. will do.

also tried pulling the chain backwards off the rear sprocket and no budge at all there.

I was thinking on centrestand in neutral so can hear engine. Thinking if small ends or cam chain worn the noise should still be there and fade as revs get higher.
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 October 2013, 10:29:06 am »
Well I'll try the Chain and Sprockets first, its going to want them anyway if they're still original after 10 years. Front sprocket seems to be hooking a bit. Could be combo of hooking front sprocket and stiff link in chain causing it to jump/slip about under power.

At least that's what I've got my hopes up for now. and its a simple cheap straightforward fix to try.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 October 2013, 12:33:03 pm »
We reckon it might not be the C+S - as its doing it at idling. Which it wouldn't do if its the C+S.

What I believe it might actually be, is a vibration issue. The more I think about it the more it makes sense as well - its getting worse now as well so getting quite concerned about it.
It would account for it being worst at certain revs too. I believe it could be that one of the rubber engine mounts has perished and the engine is now vibrating against the frame or something. its booked into the garage for next week to check it out properly anyway now, as I still can't really be satisfied for definite as to what it is.

I recorded my ride home last night but it didn't sound right, the only solution I could come up with was to record from my phone whilst in my pocket - and the only noises I got were the phone moving about in my pocket  :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 29 October 2013, 01:06:58 pm »
Maybe just a broken mounting bolt, hopefully it's an easy fix.

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 October 2013, 05:50:28 pm »
Don't know if this is of any relevance but it seems more "fumey" than usual. as in when I get off now, I smell of smoke/fumes. but that might be the drop in temperature/short journey combination causing it to run richer.

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29 October 2013, 06:09:49 pm »
Loose down pipe?

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 October 2013, 06:45:35 pm »
Yeah I thought that but no wiggly going on there. Tried earlier and they're not shifting.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 October 2013, 07:24:20 pm »
Don't know if this is of any relevance but it seems more "fumey" than usual. as in when I get off now, I smell of smoke/fumes. but that might be the drop in temperature/short journey combination causing it to run richer.

Only smells you should be getting are fumes from the end can, other than that something doesn't seem quite right does it?

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 November 2013, 05:46:42 pm »
I'm pleased to report that this is sorted. One of the nuts on the header bolts had vibrated loose and escaped at some point. the exhaust header "collar" was vibrating and rattling around loose. New nut, noise gone. One very cheap and easy fix. Hurrah.  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 November 2013, 08:52:54 pm »
Cool  :smokin