Date: 27-04-24  Time: 23:34 pm

Author Topic: Throttle cable routing  (Read 612 times)

Tortoise

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Blackbird
    • View Profile
Throttle cable routing
« on: 07 January 2024, 03:36:15 pm »
If anyone can please help. Had the throttle cables out months ago, before finally getting round to valve adjustment and ais removal. Now its time to put back together,. when fitting the coolant pipes that go into the cam cover. The piece at the top which the throttle cables cross, do the throttle cables go over or under the tube/hose. Or does one go over and one under neither really looks right . Any help much appreciated.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle cable routing
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2024, 06:28:52 pm »
@Gnasher will correct me if Im wrong, but  think they go over those pipes and then through a guide loop bolted to the righthand side of the steering column and then info the handlebar assembly.

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2024, 07:07:26 pm »
If you go to the download section of this forum there’s a FZS1000 Service Manual with diagrams showing the correct cable routing.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2024, 02:13:33 pm »
@Gnasher will correct me if Im wrong, but  think they go over those pipes and then through a guide loop bolted to the righthand side of the steering column and then info the handlebar assembly.

Sounds about right to me.  Make sure you go under the frame cross member, which is above and forward of the where the cables joins to the carb linkages.  Over the top of the engine and over the front rad hose, up through guide loop, up through the back of the fork yokes, around the right fork tube and up to the handle bar and throttle housing.

Once connected and adjusted, start the bike and with the engine at idle, turn the bars fully left and right.  If the revs rise/fall the cable is either incorrectly routed/adjusted or both.  There should be no change is rpm and you should have full throttle movement/return at full lock both sides.
Later

Tortoise

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2024, 02:23:35 pm »
Many thanks for that Gnasher it was just the part whether over the coolant pipe or under. I can now fit cables over the top knowing its the correct way.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2024, 04:02:25 pm »
This my help you further, courtesy of PATs page. If you know what you're looking at the throttle cables are obvious.

https://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/images/cscarb12-34screwdriver.jpg

Later

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2024, 04:17:09 pm »
If you go to the download section of this forum there’s a FZS1000 Service Manual with diagrams showing the correct cable routing.

What a complete pr#@t! Just noticed what bike it’s for. Only excuse I have up is that I had man flu when I posted 😳😳😳