Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

02 Fazer 1000 cutting out

(1/3) > >>

chaz46:
Ive read through a couple of threads here. very informative but Im partly confused.
I picked up the fazer as a spare engine for my 02 R1 track bike, only difference tuning and carbed against the Fi R1.

,the bike was stood for a couple of years had some rust in the tank which Ive cleaned out and had two filters, now just the one. Carbs had been off and cleaned.
The bike will cut out after standing for 10 mins or on a short ride. Will then start right up again, straight away.

The ECU is cool, the battery gets 14.5v dropping to 13.5 with all lights on  and heated grips. BUT, the fan cuts in after 30 seconds, the motor isnt warm yet and the voltage then drops just below 13v.
could the fan sensor be faulty? would that cause the engine to cut?

robbo:
The fan cutting in after 30 secs is about right and is quite normal. Think I read somewhere that the fan blades, being made of plastic could otherwise become distorted if the engine is left ticking over for a lengthy period. It also proves all’s well with the fan operation.  Will have a check for the definitive reason.

chaz46:
thanks Robbo, the R1 only comes on when temp hits around 100 degrees, more or less same engines.

robbo:
It’s just part of the normal start up “procedure”, to protect itself, which one wouldn’t notice if the bike was started and ridden away immediately. Fairly certain the fan will stop when the bike’s put in gear, but have never checked myself.

PieEater:
Fan behaviour is normal as detailed in the FAQ - "The radiator fan on the Gen1 will switch on once the engine has been started and the bike left in neutral for a short time, the fan will turn off once the bike is put in gear. This is by design, Yamaha have said it is to prevent the fans blades from warping due to heat from the header pipes."

If the engine is cutting out around the same time you'd probably be looking at fuelling, what are you doing with the choke during start-up / idle? I would also check the FAQ regarding carb issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version