Date: 17-05-24  Time: 19:38 pm

Author Topic: Steering Head Bottom Bearing  (Read 1280 times)

Andy1970

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Steering Head Bottom Bearing
« on: 29 January 2017, 06:59:13 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share this, which I found in Homebase today. It's a furniture leg, it cost me around four quid and it's exactly the right size to install the bottom head bearing onto the shaft. It had a plastic foot on the bottom which you need to remove, and the top is a metal plate perfect for hitting with a hammer.

It also comes in a variety of colours.  :lol

Andy

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Head Bottom Bearing
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2017, 08:28:11 pm »
Installing them is the easy bit and can be done with a variety of persuasion sticks (hammers). ;-)

Getting the foccers out/off in the first place is the tricky bit. I think I pretty much used up all my swear words when I did mine.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Andy1970

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2017, 09:49:32 am »
Yeah, I took mine to a local mechanic who was willing to hit it much harder than I was.  :smash  He got it off in about a minute and charged me the price of a drink.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2017, 09:35:27 am »
I drifted the lower bearing out with a length of 10mm stainless round bar, no taper, three or four taps with a rubber mallet, job done, re seating the new one was a different matter, bastard took bloody ages even after leaving it in the freezer for a couple of days
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Andy1970

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2017, 09:48:32 am »
Yeah, getting the outer races into the headstock was more difficult than I'd expected. I'd planned to draw them in using a threaded bar and a couple of large washers that I'd ground to size. That worked, but only by winding on as much tension in the bar and washers as I could, and then tapping the washer with a hammer, then re-tightening the bar and repeating.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2017, 11:01:16 am »
Replaced my head bearings with taper roller ones a while ago but the new bearing shells don't project as far out as the original ball ones so not sure there's enough lip to be able to drift them out