Date: 18-05-24  Time: 05:09 am

Author Topic: Speedo sensor cable diagnostic?  (Read 784 times)

Le Roi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Voxan Roadster
    • View Profile
Speedo sensor cable diagnostic?
« on: 29 July 2014, 05:19:49 pm »
Hi,

The speedo stopped working, and when I fiddled with the cable while riding it came on again and sometimes stayed on other times it stopped again. Took it off just now, rotor is fine so that's not it.
So I figure it is a cable break. I stripped all the black protection off but the black, white and red cable look fine.
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to check the cables with a multimeter? I would really like to fix this cheaply as the sensor is so expensive.

Thanks,

Martin

Le Roi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Voxan Roadster
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo sensor cable diagnostic?
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2014, 11:57:56 am »
I found something in Hot Poop.
I'm going to give it a try.

keratos

Re: Speedo sensor cable diagnostic?
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2014, 07:37:39 pm »
there should be a self diagnosis.

switch on and idle engine. the rev counter needle should alternate between engine speed an 4000RPM if there is a speed sensor problem detected electronically

if the electrics are fine and no speed is showing when riding then the issue is more likely to be a duff speedometer or clogged up sensor

to test the sensor you will need to remove it and uncouple it at the harness. connect a 12v supply, +ve to the blue/yellow sensor side terminal, -ve to the black sensor side terminal. connect your meter set for DC VOLTS , COM to black sensor side terminal, RED to white sensor side terminal. slowly SLOWLY turn the spindle in the sensor. The volts should alternate between ZERO, and two volt readings - three sets of readings all together. the readings will be like 0V, 1V and 12V alternating. If you dont see this then the sensor is knackered.

EDIT: Make sure you disconnect the bike battery when doing this !! use it for this test by all means but do not have it operating the bike electrics
« Last Edit: 30 July 2014, 07:50:44 pm by keratos »