Date: 28-04-24  Time: 16:40 pm

Author Topic: Fork Disassembly - Compression Damping Adjuster  (Read 1793 times)

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
  • wearing my tyres with pride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tiger 1050; YZF750/1000
    • View Profile
Fork Disassembly - Compression Damping Adjuster
« on: 10 May 2018, 06:56:52 pm »
Looking for some guidance on removing the Compression Damping adjuster assembly from the bottom of the forks. I’m planning on replacing fork seals, and getting the outer fork tubes painted while I’m at it (they’re looking rather shabby).
The Haynes manual gives me all the info on fork disassembly, (a procedure I’ve done before on other forks), but no insight into removing the adjuster – only has details on the actual adjustment itself. I expect that its not necessary to remove it for changing seals, etc. but I would prefer to take it out for the tube painting, rather than taping it up.
Is it just a question of undoing the main body (looks like a 19mm spanner) ? Whats behind it ?
Any info would help ! Thanks !

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
Re: Fork Disassembly - Compression Damping Adjuster
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2018, 08:43:57 pm »
I think it's a very fine thread,but there are fork rebuilds on this site that mention removal isn't a great idea..also somewhere a picture showing compression adjusters in cross section ( after removal from a seized unit )..I found out a lot about fork rebuilds on here before doing mine :) :)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2018, 09:47:19 am »
Looking for some guidance on removing the Compression Damping adjuster assembly from the bottom of the forks.

They just un-screw from the tube body, once you have them out just soak them in penetrating fluid over night to loose the brass adjuster you have mangled. Then clamp in a vice (with soft jaws) and with a large screwdriver of the right size to perfectly fit the slit unscrew the brass adjuster.

! No longer available

There a shot of the inside of the adjuster @17:03, which show it doesn't locate on/in anything (its job its just to process the flow of oil). If your adjuster is proper fubar'd (wont turn) them buy some bent forks of ebay and take one of the adjuster from those.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2018, 10:03:00 am by b1k3rdude »

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2018, 10:20:18 pm »
Be careful, I removed these from my zx9r forks as one was leaking. There was a bit I had to drill out, a plug if you will. Behind it is a spring and a ball bearing, the action of the adjuster rotating against the ball bearing gives the clicks. Once this was out it just unscrewed and I fitted ktec adjusters.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2018, 11:54:15 am »
Be careful, I removed these from my zx9r forks as one was leaking.
IMHO He has nothing to be careful about, I have removed the whole adjuster when I refurnished my forks. As I mentioned above the whole unit just unscrews from the lower fork tube and it doesn't link into or locate on anything - its only job is to control the flow of oil between the between the body of the fork and damping tubes