Date: 01-05-24  Time: 12:05 pm

Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 1508 times)

dano

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Hello all
« on: 24 August 2012, 03:16:47 pm »
hi i have recently brought a fazer 600 `99.. from a reputable dealer..
i got it home and fuel was leaking onj the floor..
i had 1 months guarantee on the bike so returned it to the dealer for repair, to find out the tank had a rust hole in the base and they were/ are still trying to fill it with hole/crack repair compound.
would tyhis be condsidered a bodge to get the bike outside the month guarantee period or is this a suitable repair?
will the compound give way within a few months or should i insist on a new tank...
any comments or help appreciated - cheers in advance.

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2012, 04:06:08 pm »
I wouldn't accept that as an acceptable repair.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2012, 04:25:01 pm »
No, I wouldn't accept that either. When that happened to mine I brazed a steel patch over the area and lined the tank.
Asking for a new tank is a bit optimistic, but they ought to be able to get hold of a decent secondhand one without wiping out all their profit.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2012, 06:26:08 pm »
no...no...no...dont accept this as a acceptable repair,it will eventually leak again,and yes it is a bodge.best option is second hand tank as suggested by FAZERIDER.ask on here if anyone can help sourcing the right colour tank...ebays worth a check too and local breakers  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2012, 06:46:52 pm »
you say you bought it off a reputable dealer??...well if he,s what he,s supposed to be?...he would NOT be bodging it?...and would be trying to locate another tank for you?...under no circumstances accept that sort of repair on a motorcycle!!!! :eek ....i once saw a old bsa 650 burst into flames and nearly kill the rider!!!! and that was fuel leaking from a bodged repair!!!!....with it being a second hand bike you wont get a new one?..but ime sure they could track a good used one down!!!!!!!!!

dano

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2012, 09:34:29 am »
Thank you peeps for your comments i shall be talking to the repairer today.... D

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2012, 09:57:32 am »
Use the term 'Not of merchantable quality' when describing it. This means that not only can you expect a replacement/properly repaired and repainted tank, but should this not be forthcoming you also have the right to hand the bike back for a full refund. Filling the hole with clag does not constitute a proper repair any more than filling a tyre with foam repairs a puncture.

If the dealership is reputable they should source a used replacement tank under warranty, if not ask for your money back as the deal is not what they represented it to be. Also watch out for the replacement tank being 'free', but labour charges for fitting it coming to in excess of £100. That's another trick they often use.

dano

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2012, 10:25:38 am »
Thanks everyone for your comments/input... i have just spoken to the dealer and aired some of the concerns mentioned, and they have agreed to source a `new` tank.. thank you all for your input.
Soon to be back on the road wehay... :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2012, 12:00:52 pm »
Thanks everyone for your comments/input... i have just spoken to the dealer and aired some of the concerns mentioned, and they have agreed to source a `new` tank.. thank you all for your input.
Soon to be back on the road wehay... :)

well done dano.....thats the right solution  :D .....lets us know the final outcome  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....