Date: 28-04-24  Time: 10:42 am

Author Topic: new 12mm nut and 14/48 new sprockets and chain  (Read 4024 times)

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
new 12mm nut and 14/48 new sprockets and chain
« on: 16 July 2015, 10:28:29 pm »
I have changed my sprockets and chain. Here is what I have used:

32mm socket for the front sprocket nut
27mm socket for the wheel axle nut
24mm spanner for the wheel axle bolt

New 12mm nut and washer from here:

THE KIT CONTAINS:

90179-18006 UPGRADED NUT

90215-21290 WASHER

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141276105948?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Breaker bar, 60cm breaker bar I've got was not enough for the old nut, I bought FFA Concept Steel Round Tube, (W)30mm (L)1m from B&Q:

http://www.diy.com/departments/ffa-concept-steel-round-tube-w30mm-l1m/254227_BQ.prd

The best £9 I've ever spend. Removing the old sprocket nut was very easy with it.

Here it is in action:

Draper 30-210nm torque wrench - have used it to do the new nut to 90nm.

Note there are two types of chains: soft-head pins which are hollow and much more easier to rivet and the good rivet tools for that are about £30, and hard-head pins need expensive Whale tool.

For example I am looking for Tsubaki chains because the price matches the cheapest low strength chains and the quality and strength matches expensive ones like D.I.D.

I also found Tsubaki chain installation videos very helpful.

http://www.tsubaki-rider.com/en/installation2

Tsubaki Alpha XRG X-ring 530 110 is £83 soft-head pin connector rivet link hollow:

http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/buy/Tsubaki-Tsubaki-Alpha-X-Ring-Gold-Drive-Chain---530---110-links/530APX-110.953#eq1

Tsubaki Omega O-ring 530 110 is £61 hard-head pin connector master rivet link needs whale tool!

Hence I decided to go for Alpha XRG because I am lazy and want to do the things easier.

Bought Warrior rivet tool:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/chain-tools/warrior-heavy-duty-chain-riveting-vice

Initially I was thinking to go 14/49. The 110 chain was too tight with 49. Hence I have installed 14 front 48 rear.

When you untighten the front sprocket you will need somebody on the rear brake or a big hammer with a wooden handle and a T-shirt. Make sure the handle rests well on both swimgarm legs and move the wheel forward to press the hammer handle agains the swingarm below the handle. Using right foot keep the wheel pressed against the hammer handle. Then use the breaker bar to untighten the front sprocket. With your left hand you press on the socket against the nut and also with the left hand you push down and backwards, so that you DO NOT overturn the whole bike when you pull up and forward with your right hand the breaker bar to untighten the nut. Do not forget to straighten the old washer on the front sprocket first like me. 

For the old chain I have used a dremmel tool to grind off the pin heads first and than RYDE HEAVY DUTY MOTORCYCLE CHAIN BREAKER to brake the chain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220962786642?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Make sure you grind off the pin heads very well, also when using the Ryde tool go back and forth in order to brake the chain not the tool  :)

Than used the warrior tool to rivet the new chain:

! No longer available

« Last Edit: 17 July 2015, 12:12:41 am by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: new 12mm nut and 14/48 new sprockets and chain
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2015, 11:29:04 pm »
Cool post :)
I'm thinking of doing this change over at some point either soon or during winter, not decided yet, but think I'll be keeping to standard size sprockets

A question or two, if you don't mind....

Did you look into a unbroken chain?
I believe, (not fully looked into it yet) I'll need to take off swingarm but was going to do that during winter anyhow as routine maintenance :)

Will you be posting pics of your finished job?

« Last Edit: 16 July 2015, 11:32:45 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2015, 11:55:41 pm »
Cool post :)
I'm thinking of doing this change over at some point either soon or during winter, not decided yet, but think I'll be keeping to standard size sprockets

A question or two, if you don't mind....

Did you look into a unbroken chain?
I believe, (not fully looked into it yet) I'll need to take off swingarm but was going to do that during winter anyhow as routine maintenance :)

Will you be posting pics of your finished job?

Actually all the chains I have found for sale has been split. Have not found any 530 110 chain sold unbroken.

Based on that you do not need to take off the swingarm at all. I have not. Initially was thinking to take off the swingarm and to grease all the bearings. Than changed my mind. Too much hazzle.

Sorry haven't got any more pictures. First day I have removed the old sprockets and the old chain. Then I took few pictures. Next day when I was doing the new sprocket and the new chain I was all over with grease and had not any pictures taken.

Sprocket and the chain were easy. Assembling the rear wheel was a pathetic scene.

The spacers were falling off all the time. And I forgot to put the brake caliper hanger on the axle bolt the first time.

The  second time I forgot to put inside the swingarm the offside chain tightening bracket with the bolt thingy  :'(

Third time lucky  :lol

I also bought this chain alignment tool:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/chain-tools/demon-tweeks-profi-laser-c-a-t-chain-alignment-tool

After I have assembled the rear wheel axle and have used the alignment tool there has not been any need for alignment whatsoever - the chain was perfectly aligned and tight with 40mm slack without any alignment whatsoever. How lucky is that?

I just have tighten the bolts for chain adjustment/alignment. And then axle nut to 115nm. Job done.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2015, 11:57:51 pm by Val »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2015, 10:27:24 pm »
All's well that ends well, maybe that's why you had the hassle at the beginning to make up for the ease at the end :)
Glad it all worked out though, we all need a bit of luck with these sort of jobs.
I always think if a job goes too smoothly,  what the heck is wrong :b
Understand about the greasy hands and taking pics, but now it's done you can show it off :)
Colin
----------------------

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2015, 06:15:42 pm »
Understand about the greasy hands and taking pics, but now it's done you can show it off :)

No need to ask twice when not riding I am spending a lot of time in the garage anyway close to her  :lol

Here it is the chain after the change. Warrior rivet tool is actually 100% the same tool the Tsubaki guys are using, except the call it Alpha tool and I found it for about £100. Warrior tool is £30  :)

Warrior tool has made perfect riveting:

And here is my permanent connection for the Optimate 900 charger:

Till my China levers arrive I honestly have the intention to only ride the bike without any DYI for at least two weeks LOL

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2015, 06:20:47 pm »
Ha ha, sorry :(
 just realised that I done that, I thought first one didn't post as I couldn't see it, but that was maybe the drink :lol

Looking good, giving me inspiration to what mine will look like eventually :)
Colin
----------------------