Date: 28-04-24  Time: 17:44 pm

Author Topic: Another one bites the dust!  (Read 19483 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Another one bites the dust!
« on: 20 August 2013, 11:56:27 pm »
I've got a suggestion for the forum-the i've just binned another fazer section...poor fazers!..do they really deserve such abuse?.....no...but like many recent foccers ive decided to try out the whole crashing thing :rolleyes ,except i broke pretty much most of the rules i usually stick to.. & learned the hard way! :'(

The bikes been in the garage for 2 weeks supposedly getting the swingarm bearings done, bit of a wait & i finally picked it up today after it sat outside for days because they couldnt be bothered phoning me.

Totally focced after 4 hours kip from nightshift my mate says he'll take me to the garage & he's outside waiting so I quickly grab my helmet, gloves & jacket.

I get the bike & im almost all of the 3  miles home when i decide that the brakes are a bit dodgy & guess its prob due to being sat at the garage,anyway they still arent warmed up so i stupidly ride straight passed my house & continue through the village to give the bike more of a run & test things out.

I get stuck behind a woman in a 4x4 honda crv who keeps slamming on the brakes for everything but im trying to be relaxed & find my feet so I choose to stay behind her.im not far enough behind her though.

She slams on because a car is parked outside the post office,even though the road is clear on the other side....i stall..what a twat i am!..i get it started again but soon catch her up,its now a 40 mph limit going outta the village.her driving is still a bit up & down so i decide that i need to get passed her asap,we come to a corner that i know is followed by a straight, both go around it,theres no oncoming traffic....but theres a guy on a push bike on the left,tight in, no problem.i expect the 4x4 to just go passed him..we both pick up speed...then bam she slams on the brakes again, i make the stupid split second decision to pass them both, i go well wide & im almost in line with the car & it swerves out,not only a enough to pass the bike but taking up the whole opposite lane.

So im then looking at crv boot with nowhere to go, i roll off quickly, not good enough, pull the front brake, not good enough...pull it a bit more, front locks up,down i go at a mere 40 mph,scrape along the floor & end up in the ditch.

Im ok, broken pinkie finger,my knee is badly graised,broken toe & im generally in pain& stiff i cant blame the driver because i broke my own rules & thats the end of it regardless of how much of a complete fanny she was.at the end of the day im the bigger fanny & ive learnt the hard way but come off pretty lightly.my bikes pretty focced in my eyes anyway.its in some old guys garden & to be fair it's pretty salvageable from what i remember but ill checkit out tomorrow & come up with a plan.

Early doors but i think ill either buy a cheap fully running fazer & use mine as spares as im sure its gonna cost more trying to get it back on the road in comparison or ill save up for a gen 1 thou.my confidence hasn't been dented & im not traumatised, im just pissed off & getting back on it will cheer me the foc up!

Another foccer down...but not for long!

Fras

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Another one bites the dust!
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2013, 12:46:39 am »
All the poor 600's are being swatted off the road like mosquitoes :(

Glad to hear you are ok, both physically and mentally. I was the same, didn't really feel any shock or trauma - hell I was riding Exups bike 20 mins later :P (brave man!)

Any idea on the damage? Did it go down on the left or right? I'm guessing mostly fairing damage and scratches / dents on the tank. Should be easily repaired - the cost comes from getting it back to perfection, but if you want it as a runner it should be ok for very little cost :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2013, 06:39:29 am »
Cheers desdeye

Well the bike locked up with hamdlebars twisting left & right hand side taking the damage,from what i remember there was just a bit of fuel on road from the overflow pipe, no oil.

The front fairing is totally focced preventing the handlebars going full lock so hopefully theres no issues when the fairings out the way,the brake pedal is bent inwards,dented tank.it has crash bungs so i hope hey took the brunt.

It went into neutral easy enough, ill have a look later today but i need help getting it home so my mate will help me thursday afternoon with the trailer.

Im pretty confident shes a runner but with my leg & finger i wont be bike ready for a few weeks, no doubt at the start of monsoon season.

Hey we live & learn

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2013, 07:02:51 am »
Oh dear Noggy the Noggin,  do you mean you crashed it? well that's a pity , glad you are ok. got a push bike? get it out. :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2013, 07:29:47 am »
Glad you're not in a bad way fella and the bike sounds like it will still be a runner - like they say, you never stop learning....buuuuut, I reckon a lot of us would have made the same call to overtake in that situation and avoid her piss poor driving - shame some people can't judge their own vehicle's width.

Did the soppy cow stop ?? I'm guessing she didn't even realise what she'd done!
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2013, 08:41:26 am »
Cheers chaps,well i put the whole thing down to 1 factor- tiredness...i had only had 3 hours kip & i was rushing around that day to get things done...it led me to make uncharacteristic decisions & i wasnt on the ball.

She did stop as i remember seeing the car parked up but by the time i got the bike into the old chaps drive she was gone again.another lady kindly stayed & dropped me home.

I really dont understand her actions, maybe she thought i was gonna pass so she slammmed on instead of just passing the guy,then when i commited she just went for it,was she trying to block me & then it went wrong,ill never know.

Ive been through some pretty small gaps in my bike, the cyclist was well into the side yet she completely blocked me out.i cant help thinking my brakes wouldnt have locked if they were more warmed up,who knows maybe i just grabbed too much.

Oh heres a cheery pic for yous! :b ,yum yum!!!!
« Last Edit: 21 August 2013, 08:42:41 am by noggythenog »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2013, 10:17:58 am »
Bad luck Noggy, glad you're ok. Was looking forward to meeting you on a ride out soon too. Oh well, another time. We all make bad judgements now and again, especially when tired, but it sounds to me as if the vast majority of the blame lies (once again) with an incompetent cager. You really have to wonder how some of these people get their licenses. If it hadn't been for her stupid and dangerous driving, you wouldn't have been pushed into making such a decision in the first place. I got done for speeding in a similar situation once - dopey cager woman on her mobile, doing 15mph in a 30 limit, all over the road, late at night, no other traffic, got tired of sitting behind her so zapped past - oh shit, speed camera! Too late. :\
Oh, and give up the McDonalds processed cardboard, and as soon as you're back on the road get yourself along to Llandovery for a proper helping of grease!  :lol
Keep smiling mate  :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2013, 10:54:13 am »
Cheers nick! :thumbup , i remain positive at all times, & yes slim ive got a mountain bike & im a dab hand at falling off it n'all :b

Just been to see my bike, the old guy turns out to be an old TT racer from Leeds, stopped in the 60's,didnt get his surname but first name Malcolm,he had me looking through his old photo album of the TT with all the old legends .

Had a look at the bike & not too bad, i need a new fairing, fairing bracket,engine cover scuffed but all the way through,brake pedal,indicator, mostly cosmetic but i just hope the frame is straight.

Her she is & heres the scene, yep a silly place to pass but yep i succumbed to a bit of biker rage. :evil

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2013, 11:03:48 am »
Your bike doesn't look too bad, as you mentioned get frame /forks etc checked, but I reckon it'll be easy enough to get back on the road without too much expense. Hell, if you ripped the fairing off it looks like you could just jump straight on it again! But better safe than sorry of course (don't we get boring as we get older?! As a youngster, I'd have probably done just that  :rolleyes ).
Hmmm, unusually steep camber - how come you all didn't just fall off that road anyway?  :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2013, 11:12:57 am »
I wanted to ride it back last night but they sensibly stopped me.

Now im too stiff to ride it back.

Ive actually got an aftermarket fairing with a dodgy spray can paint job in my shed but im not sure whether to just try a streetfighter headlight instead, i never ride at night & wind blast isnt too much of a concern to me as long as im having fun.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2013, 11:17:40 am »
Gloves did their job,just!!!

& I've added that antique look to my jacket :D

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2013, 11:26:00 am »
Very Mad Max! Yeah, go on, streetfighter it Noggy, an accident turned into an opportunity!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2013, 11:31:34 am »
He he!!!!

Hakuna matata...............................Bitches!!!!!!!!!! :2guns 8)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2013, 12:46:29 pm »
Aw Noggy mate, I'm gutted to hear you had a fall... Sounds like the bint in the car was being a right knobber...

Glad the bike isn't too bad... time for foxeye fairing upgrade?? Looks like the crash bungs did a pretty good job, could have been much worse.

Hope you heal up soon!

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2013, 02:12:33 pm »
Pish and tosh.  My bike looks like that and it's sound as a pound :-P

Heal up, get it checked over and get out on it :-)
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 August 2013, 02:19:58 pm »
Pish and tosh.  My bike looks like that and it's sound as a pound :-P

Same here :D  Bit of fibreglass, bit of filler, rattlecan, jobs a good 'un :D

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2013, 02:22:01 pm »
Thanks chris, & simon i think you set therecent trend of falling off, you should campaign for a section  :lol , Stupid question:-

If im cought riding it without the front fairing will i get done? :rolleyes , at daytime.

Like obviously i need indicators but do you have to have lights in place?

Most of the damage is repairable & yep. Chris the crash bung did pretty well but then its mount bent so much that the casing took it but pretty good all the same. :)

I really think i'll just get a streetfighter headlight stuck on there although im no good with electrics so someone will need to do that for me, i might still end up with a headlight more powerful than the original.

Ill ask jodie where he got his on his wheelie bike as it looks cool

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2013, 02:31:30 pm »
not good m8
at least you are still in one piece.
get well soon.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2013, 03:50:23 pm »
You can get a daytime only MOT for a bike without h/lights, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum, not so sure how you stand if you change it midway thro' your current MOT. Phone up your local bike garage and ask, I'm sure they'd be willing to answer.
As I understand it, you don't even have to have indicators, but if you remove them you have to remove/blank off the switch too?
Of course you're far better off on the road with both, although there'll always be those that wouldn't see you if you mounted a friggin Nightsun on the bike!  :rolleyes

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 August 2013, 03:57:23 pm »
I'm not sure I understand tbh.

The fairing doesn't look too bad to me (compared to mine).  Got a close up of the damage ?

It must be easier to massage the fairing bracket and fairing.in to place than remove it completely ?

Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 August 2013, 04:03:42 pm »
Maybe something like this fairing repair? Piece had come off completely. Not pretty but workable, and never thought about it afterwards. Just pop-riveted on.

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 August 2013, 04:15:13 pm »
Not sure how easy a new Mk1 fairing is to come by, but I would either fibre glass that missing corner, or find a local crash repairer.  There seem to be plenty of people to will repair plastic motorcycle fairings.  Not sure how cost would stack up vs a new one. 

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 August 2013, 04:22:09 pm »
Genius Nick, although im sure you could've fitted another bag on there :lol , Cristo would have!!!

My bike was in really good condition before this & now its destined to look a bit more of a rat bike,ill have a look at the bracket & who knows with a bit of bendy bendy i might get riding.still thinking streetfighter lamp though,anyone know of any fuss free examples that i can easily clamp on?

Its my broken pinkie thats stopping me as i cant get it into a glove, actually i need new gloves also.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 August 2013, 04:28:37 pm »
Not sure how easy a new Mk1 fairing is to come by, but I would either fibre glass that missing corner, or find a local crash repairer.  There seem to be plenty of people to will repair plastic motorcycle fairings.  Not sure how cost would stack up vs a new one.

Hey hamos, ive actually got a spare fairing in my shed,its not a yamaha part,aftermarket fibreglass, but its in 1 piece, i knew if my bike ever went over id need one.

But the thing is it needs a proper spray job & ive i just buy a small streetfighter lamp/fairing it could go straight on without spraying as it'd prob be black so im thinking that could still work out cheaper.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 August 2013, 04:32:27 pm »
Genius Nick, although im sure you could've fitted another bag on there :lol , Cristo would have!!!

My bike was in really good condition before this & now its destined to look a bit more of a rat bike,ill have a look at the bracket & who knows with a bit of bendy bendy i might get riding.still thinking streetfighter lamp though,anyone know of any fuss free examples that i can easily clamp on?

Its my broken pinkie thats stopping me as i cant get it into a glove, actually i need new gloves also.
I only had mine done that way cos it was free! (and I needed it back on the road quickly). That bike is now sold and gone. Yours looks a bit worse, but I'm sure it could be fixed up if you want to.
Hmmmm, choices, Noggy!
Back to standard? (and if so, repair or replace?).
Foxeye it?
Streetfighter it?
What will he decide - the suspense is killin me!  :lol

That was a few years ago, and my kit is now down to a tailpack for all my camping gear including tent etc, plus a small tank bag for bits and bobs.
The photo shows my "glamping" rig - 3-man tent, folding table and chair, etc, etc! All now replaced with my backpacking kit.