Date: 27-04-24  Time: 20:15 pm

Author Topic: Rear shock  (Read 7510 times)

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
Rear shock
« on: 25 November 2012, 04:07:02 pm »
Is there another shock that can be fitted to my 600 fazer...
I mean from another bike, rather then spending big money on an aftermarket one??
Something with more adjustment..
Also, what grade oil are you lot using in the forks 10w or 15w?
Also are those progressive fork springs any good or do they mess up the dampening and rebound.. Just cant get my head around them changing rate upon compression with rebound and dampening staying the same.. How does that work in real tearms, any one running them??

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
Re: Rear shock
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2012, 05:19:41 pm »
I have just found a post that mentioned using a fazer 1000 shock with a 600 spring..
Does anyone have any input on this??

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2012, 06:23:38 am »

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2012, 01:24:28 pm »
Yes and no.
A diversion 900 shock will fit, apparently. But the spring and damping characteristics are not the same, possibly way off....and not many Divvy 900 shocks left with life still in them.
The Fazer 1000 shock can be made to fit with modifications, it is not a straight swap.
On the horizon.....'Bwizz' is going to try & fit a 2010 onwards Yamaha R6 shock into his 600 this Winter, as it transplants very well onto the Fazer 1000, so plenty of hopeful, optimistic 600 owners out there waiting for the results to come in.

Although progressive springs are the cheapest option, and plenty of people go for Hagon's springs, I'd go with linear rate springs matched to your weight. Don't go heavier than 15w oil, even if you're... 'big-boned'

Hyperpro springs fitted to a Fazer 1000 below....not the same bike I know, but the blurb may partially explain how they work:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/hyperprosuspensionupgradereview.shtml

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2012, 08:24:13 pm »
Thank you for the replys :)
So from what i have read the thou shock has the same centres @ 300mm, and am i right in thinking the preload ring fouls the expansion tank?

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2012, 08:13:42 am »
Think I will be going for a post 2008 R6 shock... I really want a twitchy back end for all the twisties I have around here!! I want the back wheel to skip not wallow as it is at the moment.. once fitted and the front suspension sorted I shall take it for a professional setup... then hopefully when im riding the mountain on th IOM in June it should give a few of the other carb 600's a run for their money!!  :evil  the shopping trolley will prevail!!  :lol 
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2012, 10:18:20 am »
Don't be too quick...this rear shock hasn't yet been confirmed as definitely fitting the 600 (tho it *should* fit)

Also, from memory a lot of Gen 1 1000 owners bought the WRONG R6 shock - make sure it's one with a SINGLE blue & gold anodised adjuster up top as per Luke's thread below:
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,936.0.html

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2012, 09:37:53 pm »
Cheers for the tip Kebab... Post 2008 shock it is then!!  :lol
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2012, 12:11:47 pm »
I've still not round to fitting the R6 shock on my 600 yet "massive home issues intervened" but I can still report thet the thou shock is much better on the 600,. I never think about what the rear suspension is doing now ,(which is a good sign that all is well) ! After cosmetic repairs the 600 is nearly back on the road now so as soon as things settle down here I will try out the R6 shock on my 600 and repoart back. Lots of surplus 1000 shocks around so thats a bonus (Unlike thou rear calipers)!

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2012, 09:34:08 pm »
I've still not round to fitting the R6 shock on my 600 yet "massive home issues intervened" but I can still report thet the thou shock is much better on the 600,. I never think about what the rear suspension is doing now ,(which is a good sign that all is well) ! After cosmetic repairs the 600 is nearly back on the road now so as soon as things settle down here I will try out the R6 shock on my 600 and repoart back. Lots of surplus 1000 shocks around so thats a bonus (Unlike thou rear calipers)!

I went for the thou shock with 600 spring and i would like to say a big thankyou to bwizz for his help in sorting it out :)
I havent rode it yet but i have set the sag and sat on it , it feels much better already!
Cant wait to to have a play dialing it in tomorrow :) 

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2012, 10:42:51 am »
That's handy, as there are plenty of 1000 owners getting shot of their standard rear shock...for an R6 shock

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2012, 01:25:37 pm »
I used to have a XJ900 Diversion, when the rear shock went,i fitted an FZS600 Fazer shock to it & to be honest there wasn't that much difference! well i didn't notice,they are a straight swap no mods are needed.

Ray

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2013, 11:32:51 am »

I went for the thou shock with 600 spring and i would like to say a big thankyou to bwizz for his help in sorting it out :)
I havent rode it yet but i have set the sag and sat on it , it feels much better already!

Wez, did you do any of the grinding suggested by Brian in the old thread? Did you make many or any adjustments/alterations to accommodate the thou shock? 

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2013, 09:05:32 pm »

Wez, did you do any of the grinding suggested by Brian in the old thread? Did you make many or any adjustments/alterations to accommodate the thou shock?

Hello mate,

You need to replace the thou 73.6 N/mm (7.5 kg/mm) spring with the 600 147 N/mm (14.7 kg/mm) spring.

The preload ring needs to be ground down a tad to clear the expansion tank..

The expansion tank needs to be moved forward by way of mounting it on the opposite side of the mounting brackets..

The shock top mounting lug on the frame needs a little grinding out on the underside because the shock fouls the bracket., (a millimeter or so) to get the bolt in.

Then just touch up the frame with black enamel, mount the shock, set the sag and jobs a gud'n

Its a massive improvement for little money..

I am 100kg geared up and my setup looks like this;

Front rider sag is 38mm with wilbers springs, 135mm air gap and 10w oil.

Rear rider sag is 32mm with compression @ 3 clicks out and the rebound @ 4 clicks out...

Holds the line brilliant no squating or wallow..

I have just topped it all off with renthal 758 ultra low bars :)

« Last Edit: 31 January 2013, 09:06:57 pm by wezdavo »

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2013, 07:31:40 am »

Hello mate,

You need to replace the thou 73.6 N/mm (7.5 kg/mm) spring with the 600 147 N/mm (14.7 kg/mm) spring.

The expansion tank needs to be moved forward by way of mounting it on the opposite side of the mounting brackets..

The shock top mounting lug on the frame needs a little grinding out on the underside because the shock fouls the bracket., (a millimeter or so) to get the bolt in.

Then just touch up the frame with black enamel, mount the shock, set the sag and jobs a gud'n

Rear rider sag is 32mm with compression @ 3 clicks out and the rebound @ 4 clicks out...

Wez, You are a diamond geezer!! I have opted for the thou shock over the R6... coil compressors arrive today, so will hopefully get the 'new' shock stripped down tonight... Im about the same weight with gear on too... so I shall follow suit with your dial in and adjust from there.. already got the renthals fitted!!  ;)  If I get any probs I will inbox you.  :rollin

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2013, 09:38:56 am »
So.....R6 owners buy Ohlins shocks, FZS1000 owners fit R6 owners original standard shocks, FZS600 owners fit FZS1000 owners standard shocks.  Now all we need to find is another Yam whose suspension can benefit from several hundred redundant FZS600 shocks

Like all the Japanese manufacturers, a lot of parts from other models can be made to fit fairly easily. I had an old TRX 850 and the YZF750's rear shock was also a straight bolt-in.

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2013, 01:23:21 pm »

Hello mate,

Wez, You are a diamond geezer!! I have opted for the thou shock over the R6... coil compressors arrive today, so will hopefully get the 'new' shock stripped down tonight... Im about the same weight with gear on too... so I shall follow suit with your dial in and adjust from there.. already got the renthals fitted!!  ;)  If I get any probs I will inbox you.  :rollin

No probs mate, i too considered the r6 unit, but its undersprung for the fazer 600 linkage and i dont think the fazer spring fits the r6 shock, so thats why i decided against it..

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 March 2013, 12:29:42 pm »
Re underspung, you need also to take into account of the spring assistance from the gas on the r6  and thou units ,Revvs chap told me its around 50% of the spring
« Last Edit: 21 March 2013, 12:30:51 pm by bwizz »

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2013, 02:51:18 pm »
Well i've just test rode my 600 with the thou shock and 600 spring and it was excellent!! well worth the upgrade!! The bike really wants to corner now as before it felt like it was wallowing and didnt like going over in the corners!! I shall be working on getting my knee down this summer... oh and of course on a closed circuit track with no on-coming traffic!!  :smokin

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2013, 04:55:20 pm »
In my case I just forget about the rear suspension on the 600. But on the other hand .
I must say the thou unit on the 600 does not have as much control as the r6 unit fitted to my thou, the r6 unit can be set much softer and still has control, wheras at optimum setting the 600 tends to bounce me out of the seat at times ,  I can live with the difference as it no longer wallows! Some time soon I'll get round to trying the r6 unit on the 600 but I can't really see me spending another £100+ on another unit