Date: 18-04-24  Time: 13:57 pm

Author Topic: Help! electrical fault  (Read 5965 times)

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Help! electrical fault
« on: 16 August 2012, 06:10:08 pm »
Had a problem with my radiator fan on my FZ6S2 - it wouldnt come on- known about it for some time but got reminded on Friday after a 'spirited' ride on a warm afternoon I got caught at some convoy controlled road works.

At 117degC the temperature light came on and the temperature display started to flash- didnt know whether to shut the engine off or way for the convoy to come through. Got to 120 before I could move off and the temperature came straight down with diligent use of the clutch to get the air through.

Use dit since and had no problems. Booked it into the local bike shop (not Yamaha) this morning and rode into toen and dropped it off- no problems

Went to pick up the bike tonight and found that the mechanic couldnt start the bike. He wondered if I had damaged the key dropping it through the letterbox this morning- had my spare key but that made no difference.

Engine turned over but would not fire and the temperature display says HI and flashing although it was fine when I left it.

Mechanic had phoned the local Yamaha garage who suggested holding select and reset while turning on the ignotion gets you into some sort of mechanics test code- move it up to 54 and that starts the fan even if the engine is cold so you can test it.

There it is- engine is imobilised and wont start HISS red flashing light goes off with the igntion. normal washing its face and normal display apart from the temperature display saying HI and flashing. Assuming this is not a cheary greeting any ideas what is wrong?
59 going on 57

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Help! electrical fault
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2012, 10:15:17 pm »
The only *fault* code 54 I can find is an immobiliser fault (key code registration).

Not sure with the Fazer, but the R1 has an H1 immobiliser code (not HI) - but as your immob light won't work without ignition, I wonder if that's your problem?

Will go through the Haynes Book of Lies and report back shortly.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2012, 11:02:54 pm »
Diagnostic set-up (beware, it's quite long-winded!) - first off, unplug the fuel pump.

With IGN OFF and kill switch ON, press Select / Reset together, turn Ign ON (keeping Select / Reset pressed for at lest 8 seconds) - all displays should disappear except clock / tripmeter.

Press Select until DIAG appears on the clock display (CO adjustment appears as an option here). Pressing Select / Reset for 2 seconds confirms selection of DIAG mode.

Kill switch OFF.

Cooling fan relay is DIAG code 51 - (Select goes through codes upwards, reset goes through codes downwards); turning the Kill Switch ON should actuate the fan relay 5 times (you should hear it click; you may need to remove the back panel to hear it click).

As a quick check of your immobiliser transceiver (the black box near your ignition switch that reads your key), follow the wiring to the connector (six pins); with a test meter, go between black wire (on the loom side, ie the one connected to battery) and the red / white wire - you should have battery voltage. Then go from black wire to the red / green wire and again you should have voltage. If you have voltage, your transceiver is likely KO'd, if you have no voltage, you have a wiring / earth fault.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2012, 08:18:33 pm »
Its worse than that- see completely screwed  :eek
59 going on 57