Date: 25-04-24  Time: 07:13 am

Author Topic: Gen1 thou - still getting error code 7 after EXUP service  (Read 7168 times)

Ddddaveeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
After getting error code 7 on the rev counter, I've done the EXUP valve service as described on the excellent website here (http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html), but am still getting the same error code.
I've had the valve out, it was slightly sticky around the bracket, nothing major, and wasn't returning to the correct position - but now it's all greased up and moving great, I can rotate the valve fully by hand, the servo returns it to the correct position on turning the key. No major corrosion down there - all looks pretty good. Only I'm still getting the error code 7. Just ridden it for two hours. Still getting code 7.
When I start it up the valve moves open by about 10-15 degress or so, on tickover. Rev it up to about 6-7000 on the centre stand in neutral and it moves a little bit further - at most about 30- degees from the starting position (11 o'clock), moves quite slowly, nowhere near the maximum I can move it by hand (to about the 2 o'clock position), though I don't know how far it's supposed to turn itself. Turn the engine off and it stays slightly open, but then returns back to line up with the hole again next time I turn on the ignition.
Only thing I can think of is cable tightness - I can tighten them more, but then the servo struggles to move it. I am getting near the end of the adjusters, so wondering whether the cables can't get quite tight enough. I've tried tightening more, and loosening off, but still getting number 7 on the rev counter.
The only way I can test the tightness is by pinching the two cables together on the pulley - they both move about 1mm at most, which I thought was supposed to be about right.
Any ideas? Don't really want to resort to taking it to a garage!

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Gen1 thou - still getting error code 7 after EXUP service
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2012, 07:40:17 pm »
sounds like the exup controller is goosed,easy enough to change yourself

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2012, 07:43:35 pm »

Only thing I can think of is cable tightness - I can tighten them more, but then the servo struggles to move it. I am getting near the end of the adjusters, so wondering whether the cables can't get quite tight enough. I've tried tightening more, and loosening off, but still getting number 7 on the rev counter.

There's your problem, the cables are too tight, not too loose. :)

You should be able to deflect each cable about 1.5 - 2mm on its own.

Jazoli

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2012, 07:46:42 pm »
There's your problem, the cables are too tight, not too loose. :)

You should be able to deflect each cable about 1.5 - 2mm on its own.

Yup this, slacken the adjusters off and I bet the code will go away :)
« Last Edit: 13 May 2012, 11:53:43 am by Jazoli »
sigs are shit

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2012, 07:49:38 pm »
It should definitely open further than you describe, (roughly 1 o'clock if not a shade more).
It sounds cable related and therefore cheap (free) to sort.
Try loosening the bottom pulley cable (the black one, under the tank on my 2002 Gen1) so it offers no resistance and see if it at least allows the top cable on the pulley to open the valve to a wider position.
You should at least know then, whether top cable is able to fulfill it's half of the bargain.
Before doing that though, I'd suggest double checking your cable adjusters.
I (really) heavily greased the threads on my cable adjusters so they turned super-freely. When tightening them, I then found it much easier to feel the increase in tension as the slack was taken up.
In my limited experience, the difference between an ok EXUP operation and a perfect one can literally come down to a quarter of a turn on the adjusters.
The fact that you can, doesn't always mean you should.

I NEVER watch Emergency Bikers for the emergencies...

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2012, 07:53:57 pm »
WOW! Three replies to your post within six minutes..... must have been the break on Britain's Got Talent  :lol
The fact that you can, doesn't always mean you should.

I NEVER watch Emergency Bikers for the emergencies...

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2012, 08:31:26 pm »
WOW! Three replies to your post within six minutes..... must have been the break on Britain's Got Talent  :lol

No, not me ... I'm on a permanent break from that crap!  Britain's got talent?  Where are they hiding it, then? ;)

You won't see the pulley move to its fully open position no matter how much you rev it on the centrestand because the EXUP takes inputs from the ECU based on revs, throttle position, and gear/road speed.

Just re-visit the instructions on Pat's Site and set the cable tension correctly this time. :)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2012, 08:05:37 am »
well being as a dog won it , its the end for any wannabees singing or dancing ....unless one is of the canine persuasion !    :lol

Ddddaveeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2012, 08:34:02 am »
Spot on - thanks, just what I needed - loosening them off even further looks like it might have done the trick, and greasing the threads really helped. Looks like it's quite a fine balance getting the cables just right.
It's now running at tickover in the garage without the error code, and the valve looks more open, nearer 30 degrees / 10 oclock. Didn't want to rev it up too hard and wake the neighbours, so I'll take it out for a blast later and see how she runs.
Seems to have used a lot of fuel yesterday, nearly half a tank for the 40 miles back from the garage - maybe affected by the EXUP valve not fully open? (I was also riding quite enthusiasticly!)
Afraid I missed Britains got Talent - sounds like it was a howler

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2012, 10:30:50 pm »
+1 for the advice on getting the slack right on the Exup cables. My valve also had a slight lip after many miles of use which I took down with a file, but it was still slightly sticky. I though the end plate might be bent, but I loosened the cables a little and bingo, no error codes.

God, I love this forum.