Date: 25-04-24  Time: 13:10 pm

Author Topic: I've stopped crying but I think my FZ1 G2 has water in the oil... Help!  (Read 913 times)

GazEssex

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TDM900
    • View Profile
Bike is a 2011 faired FZ1, previously good on all fronts, use it last in September, started it yesterday and it was a pig to get going (not like it or any other Yam left for a while), got it started but rough as a badgers armpit.

Let it warm up and then noticed the smell of coolant, 83-93C, condensation on the fork leg, thought the cap gasket was leaking or something. After it got hot, it was revving ok but running lumpy. Decided it needed a service so went to put it back on the drive as it was raining but thought I'd quickly check the sight glass, not the nice clear oil it was in September, now it's melted Crunchie or mayonnaise. Fook it, I thought, cylinder head gasket.

So I phoned Woodford Motorcycles and spoke to a mechanic who was really helpful and said he didn't think it was the head, he thought (in order of likelihood):

1. Water/Oil pump in the sump
2. Oil Intercooler
3. Leaky rad cap

This is all fine but in my old head it still says head gasket.

What do you guys think, are other coolant issues suspects?

Is water in the oil not that much to panic about (I am panicking)?

TIA :)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: I've stopped crying but I think my FZ1 G2 has water in the oil... Help!
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2020, 10:17:56 am »
It's probably just condensation built up in the crankcase over time and lack of use, possibly because the breather has become restricted and due to the damp conditions on the day.  How often is the bike used and I mean ridden for at least 30mins?  Is or has your bike been rarely used but you wheel it out once a week/month and start it on the drive to warm it up?

One of the biggest falsies is doing the above, all it does is builds up condensation and over time this blocks the breather system, holding the water vapor/moisture in the crankcase, which in time emulsifies, turns white and collects in the sight glass or on the oil filler cap. 

Check the coolant expansion tank, if it's oily, black/brown it's likely the head gasket has gone, check the rad for the same, if it's clean and no oily smell or residue on the surface, it's not a blown head gasket.  Check the crankcase breather system, look up the pipes if it's thick with emulsified oil (mayo) clean it all out and I mean all of it from the whole system, if it's just slight, clean the pipes and any trapped elsewhere should just burn off over time.  Give the bike a really good run like couple of hours, do that a few days on the trot, the problem should disappear, if it doesn't you've got a likely head issue or other issue just starting.

The first two of other possibilities your chap mentioned would give you serious other issues, like overheating and the emulsification would be bad so very unlikely in my experience.  The last wouldn't do anything to the oil just overheat due to lack of pressure and serious loss of coolant. 

Hopefully the problem is just condensation build up, moral of the story don't wheel out the bike every week or so and start it, hook it up the battery charger every few weeks or so and just leave it alone.   :D               
Later

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: I've stopped crying but I think my FZ1 G2 has water in the oil... Help!
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2020, 07:00:06 pm »
I reckon this guy should sod off.
He's asking for help elsewhere too from people who don't know the first thing about bikes.
Isn't that right Gaz? 😁😎😊🤐🤪
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!