Date: 08-07-20  Time: 11:57 AM

Author Topic: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...  (Read 38302 times)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...
« Reply #2400 on: 29 May 2020, 04:04:50 PM »
Just got back from Asda. Complete chaos! You'd think somebody had given the go ahead to do whatever they like.

With a current official R number of 0.9, we are heading for trouble.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: 29 May 2020, 06:43:01 PM »

Dunno, I think its suck it and see.  We are now heading rapidly towards summer, and we continue to have a dryer and warmer than average spring.  We know flu viruses tend to retreat in warmer, dryer and brighter conditions – so it is possible covid will do the same. 

There is so much we don’t know.  We don’t seem to have much of an idea as to how many people have had covid – different analysis and modelling seem to throw up widely differing figures.

We don’t know what sort of immunity people who have had it will have.

The key thing remains to be to do what we were not ready to do at the start.  Keep building up the ability to test,test,test, trace and isolate. 

So lets hope things become more normal through the summer.  But summer, autumn or winter – we need to be prepared for a possible second wave.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: 29 May 2020, 06:45:58 PM »
For some people - nothing will ever change;

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: 29 May 2020, 07:02:13 PM »
Well we don't seem to be 'following the science'

Coronavirus: Relaxing lockdown 'risky' and 'political decision' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52849691

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: 29 May 2020, 07:34:48 PM »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: 29 May 2020, 07:35:30 PM »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: 29 May 2020, 07:51:27 PM »
So you think it is.......

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2407 on: 29 May 2020, 09:14:52 PM »
As someone who (ahem) in the past would have had to implement this.... the only way to have done this quickly for employees is through the payroll. So employers had to be the vehicle for furlough and payment.

The problem is that some decided it was optional... :(

On a similar note, a mate of mine has just said his sister and in law have just been given notice of redundancy by British Airways..... and offered their old jobs back at 45% of their previous salaries. This is what the country has to look forward to.

Someone wrote in the FT that, because the number of deaths hadn't been as high as during the Black Death, there wouldn't be a shortage of workers and "fortunately"(!) workers wouldn't have the power to demand higher wages as happened back in the 14th Century...

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: 29 May 2020, 09:16:51 PM »
And should of course lead to higher wages, because of rent etc savings made by the employer..... but I'm not holding my breath  :rolleyes [/font]

I think you mean "Higher income for the bosses"...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: 29 May 2020, 10:00:48 PM »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: 30 May 2020, 07:53:22 AM »
Well we don't seem to be 'following the science'

Coronavirus: Relaxing lockdown 'risky' and 'political decision' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52849691

This really does make you wonder doesn't it, we're following the science?  Testing is at best poor, results take anywhere between 24hrs and 10 days, new cases of the infection per week (ONS) 54k. BBC is quoting 8k per day which is 56k, all is based on poor testing so is likely to be far higher, test and trace hasn't been proved yet, I read it already had issues yesterday.

And Boris has let the genie out of the bottle as of Mon, I think we have a recipe for disaster :(
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: 30 May 2020, 11:07:37 AM »
Just read in the newspaper that when they were listening to Cummings in the Number 10 garden, and asking questions, the journalists had all their phones confiscated.
Treating him like the PM he really is.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: 30 May 2020, 07:08:53 PM »

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: 30 May 2020, 11:40:35 PM »
Remember, we have a "World Beating" Track and Trace system... :(

Why I quit working on Boris Johnson's ‘world-beating' test-and-tracing system

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: 30 May 2020, 11:51:34 PM »
And quite a clear Covid-19 status guide

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: 31 May 2020, 12:08:12 AM »
Dominic Cummings' father in law talks about eugenics and the inherited right to lead. What a nice chap :o
https://youtu.be/OWwxiiuIv_A

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: 31 May 2020, 09:57:07 AM »

Dunno, I think its suck it and see.  We are now heading rapidly towards summer, and we continue to have a dryer and warmer than average spring.  We know flu viruses tend to retreat in warmer, dryer and brighter conditions – so it is possible covid will do the same. 

There is so much we don’t know.  We don’t seem to have much of an idea as to how many people have had covid – different analysis and modelling seem to throw up widely differing figures.

We don’t know what sort of immunity people who have had it will have.

The key thing remains to be to do what we were not ready to do at the start.  Keep building up the ability to test,test,test, trace and isolate. 

So lets hope things become more normal through the summer.  But summer, autumn or winter – we need to be prepared for a possible second wave.

It's on the rampage in India at the moment and they're going through a 43 degree heatwave. Australia is just coming out of summer, and Africa is being hard hit too.
Don't think this particular virus cares too much about the weather.

Wait until October/November though when cold/flu season kicks in and people won't have a clue what's really wrong with them, that's when the real fun and games will begin.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: 31 May 2020, 10:43:44 AM »
I think the cracks are beginning to appear between the scientists and the ministers if yesterdays briefing is anything to go by.  I sensed from the things Van-Tam said he's not entirely happy with the speed and what's being unlocked and the measures around their control.  He cited about meeting 6 persons, but only one group of 6 should meet in any one day, not meeting a series of 6 over any one day, "tearing the pants out of it" he said.  We all know that's exactly what's going to happen there, as with football matches.  Leaks from members of SAGE are also starting to happen, 8k a day of new cases and that's with our crap testing, whats the real figure, I wonder and Boris wants to unlock large parts of society, this is going to go very wrong I feel.  I really hope I'm wrong.     

The last questions asked by the Telegraph was about who should follow the guidance, and Cummings was mentioned, he said he was happy to answer (he didn't have to) and said it applies equally to all.  The second question was, are the government listening to the people?  He mentioned, the ever increasing emails into Troy MP's inboxes demanding Cummings is sacked and a Change.org poll to remove him which is now over a million.  The minster answered with the normal, not answering, the reporter stated he hadn't answered, restated the government isn't listening as Cummings is still in post, minster said of course we're listening.............but blah blah, Cummings is not safe yet. 

I also see Labour Whip Rosie Duffield has resigned due to braking lockdown rules and rightly so, looks like Starmer's got a grip. 

Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: 31 May 2020, 12:16:19 PM »
The last questions asked by the Telegraph was about who should follow the guidance, and Cummings was mentioned, he said he was happy to answer (he didn't have to) and said it applies equally to all.
Van Tam also said the rules have been very clear from the beginning. He emphasised 'the beginning'. Also after he finished answering the question he gave the minister a killer look  :D

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: 31 May 2020, 02:27:38 PM »

It's on the rampage in India at the moment and they're going through a 43 degree heatwave.
They have the makings of a possible major outbreak.  Don’t forget that India has a population of 1.3 billion.  Numerous large cities, poor health care etc.  I’m just saying it could spread in India in warm conditions whereas it might not do so in other countries.   But so far it hasn't done too much damage.

Australia is just coming out of summer,
Yeah so far its been almost a non-event in Australia. Maybe that will change as they move towards winter.

Its doing some damage in Brazil, and I think this is their cool season.

So far across the African continent there was been 81,000 confirmed cases, and 2700 cases.  That’s small beer.
Wait until October/November though when cold/flu season kicks in and people won't have a clue what's really wrong with them, that's when the real fun and games will begin.
I guess its late autumn when we will finally know where we are.  Right now studies have tried to predict what % of people have been infected.  I’ve seen figures from well under 10% to 60%.  And of those who have been infected we have no idea of how long their immunity will last.

Worldometer is a good source of stats.  Just as long as you remember everybody is doing different things, the differences in population, living conditions, health care etc..

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: 31 May 2020, 09:10:51 PM »
Vulnerable people (like my girlfriend who has severe asthma) are being told they can go out again.
Sporting events are restarting.

Somehow we've managed to go from Level 4 to Level 1 in just a few days...
(Oh, and my girlfriend's response was "Yeah, that's not going to happen!")

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: 31 May 2020, 11:45:56 PM »
It's all about Johnson being able to give out 'good news'.

Oh, and it's all about the economy too

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: 01 June 2020, 12:13:50 AM »
This is the Science the Tories *should* be listening to...

(From the Association of Directors of Public Health)

Directors of Public Health are increasingly concerned that the Government is misjudging this balancing act and lifting too many restrictions, too quickly. 

https://www.adph.org.uk/2020/05/adph-presidential-blog-a-time-for-steady-leadership-careful-preparation-and-measured-steps/

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: 01 June 2020, 08:35:09 AM »
It will be interesting to see what actually happens, will people believe what their being told?  I think many now, are really starting to question much of what they're being told is really the truth.  Take testing, as with the 100k target hit on the day after deadline, we magically hit the 200k test target, after them struggling to get even close to a consistent 100k per day, now they wont tell us actually how many :rolleyes

We also discover that a test which has 2 parts nose/throat, is now being counted as 2 test  :eek they are seriously taking the piss and treating us like idiot's.  All these lies, Cummings and ever more underhanded ways of counting things is just further underminding trust.  The test will be, people actually start unlocking at the rate Boris wants and will will see the second spike worse than the first. 

I guess only time will tell, the genie is now out of the bottle!

Later

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: 01 June 2020, 10:53:57 AM »
 They still talk of 50,000 new nurses etc.
It is known, that if you repeat a lie enough times it can become a truth.
This seems to be one of the core principles of the Johnson government.