Date: 08-07-20  Time: 10:44 AM

Author Topic: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...  (Read 38295 times)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...
« Reply #2375 on: 27 May 2020, 11:09:29 PM »
Opinion poll just shown on Newsnight - 62% of the people polled are less likely to follow government guidelines, because of the actions of Dominic Cummings  :o

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: 27 May 2020, 11:18:46 PM »
OK then. Back to the main subject

Thank god for that the Brexitiers have left the building, :rolleyes now where was we.

Oh yer County Dom  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: 27 May 2020, 11:40:03 PM »
Oh yer County Dom

One 'o' too many  :)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: 28 May 2020, 09:39:52 AM »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: 28 May 2020, 10:13:24 AM »
Johnathan Pie on the Prime Minister, I mean Cummings

https://youtu.be/tDnGQemzf2s
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: 28 May 2020, 11:05:21 AM »
Now 44 Tory MPs wanting Cummings to resign, and another 17 critical of him. Some famous names in there.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/27/list-grows-of-tory-mps-calling-for-cummings-to-resign

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: 28 May 2020, 12:22:08 PM »
This'll wind them up  ;)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: 28 May 2020, 06:41:54 PM »

Let's raise a tinnie to Brewdog...!

Ye cannae wack quality Scots scuds!

Slàinte mhath! 

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: 28 May 2020, 06:50:00 PM »
And the same  ;)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: 28 May 2020, 07:22:03 PM »

Now the noise has gone away......we could have a proper debate.
Party politics aside, despite seemingly to have closed down the Cummings issue, I think this will have done lasting damage to Johnson's image. The public are realising he is too dependent on Cummings, and they won't want to be run by any unelected person. Johnson likes to be liked and tries to connect with the 'ordinary bloke'. Cummings' personality shown to us in the Number 10 was quite the opposite. So how easy will it be to hide Cummings in the background from now on? I think the public is much more wise to Johnson's limitations.

When all this is over there will be an enquiry. The UK will not come out of it well. The overall message will be we were not prepared and started too late. People will argue about the reasons, but that will be the overall conclusion. How much of this damage will stick with Johnson until the next election, I'm not sure, but it will be the issue of the decade.

I must admit to some congratulations for their financial packages. Yes there are some things that could have been better, and we don't know how it will be paid back, but furloughing all employees that needed it for so long deserves credit. Look at the unemployment queues for Welfare in the USA. That could have been us.

So I'm not sure where this government is going next. Going to be interesting

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: 28 May 2020, 07:40:33 PM »
 The only honest thing Johnson has said is in admitting that we did not learn the lessons from SARS.
We need an enquiry in Scotland too. 
Scotland hasn’t performed any better than England, though the devolution arrangements do impact on our NHS.  Nor am I entirely clear what aspects of pandemic preparation are devolved and what are not. 
But yeah the big question to be answered is why has the UK as a whole been ignoring the advice and warnings issued by the WHO. 
Not being prepared has not only potentially cost tens of thousands of lives, but also not being prepared made a full-on lockdown inevitable with the economic cost being almost incalculable.
And here we are now facing the likelihood of crashing out of the EU.  The poorest performing nation in the EU in terms of dealing with the pandemic, crashing out because ‘we’ think the EU is dysfunctional and holding us back – what a sad sick joke.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: 28 May 2020, 07:42:07 PM »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: 28 May 2020, 07:52:35 PM »
And here we are now facing the likelihood of crashing out of the EU.
Personally I don't think Johnson wants that. I think he wants a 'special deal' exclusive to the UK. He is playing brinkmanship. It's part of his personality, but I think when push comes to shove, he won't let 'No Deal' happen. I see an extension coming despite what he says in public

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: 28 May 2020, 08:15:13 PM »
Personally I don't think Johnson wants that.
Yeah sure, but what does his boss want? :lol

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: 28 May 2020, 09:03:22 PM »
I think a lot of those who voted Tory for the first time aren't likely to do it again.

I'm not keen of Starmer but he may pull them back.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: 28 May 2020, 09:37:33 PM »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: 28 May 2020, 10:13:08 PM »
Johnson shuts down Keunssberg asking about Cummings, labelling it a 'political question'.
So, suppression of the media. We have officially become a Banana Republic

Keunssberg will get her revenge
« Last Edit: 28 May 2020, 10:41:40 PM by mtread »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: 29 May 2020, 09:59:53 AM »

Party politics aside, despite seemingly to have closed down the Cummings issue, I think this will have done lasting damage to Johnson's image. The public are realising he is too dependent on Cummings, and they won't want to be run by any unelected person. Johnson likes to be liked and tries to connect with the 'ordinary bloke'. Cummings' personality shown to us in the Number 10 was quite the opposite. So how easy will it be to hide Cummings in the background from now on? I think the public is much more wise to Johnson's limitations.

I think it's too early to draw a line under Cummings, as much as Boris wants too and is now deliberately turning people off at interviews etc, the damage is done.  As with much in Tory politics they will not want to admit they've screwed up and are every fearful of loosing power.  Boris will be under serve pressure now from within, as you say what on earth has Cummings got on Boris and the gang.  The way Boris has conducted himself not only with the Cummings fiasco but his whole management of the crisis, has had MP's questioning him and will have costs the Tories support and most of all votes.  Many senior members of the Troy party and the 1922 committee will be looking to limit or reverse this damage and fairly soon.  Boris came to power mainly because of the collapse of the Labour vote in what was historicity Labour safe seats, mostly due to Brexit the other, Corbyn who has always been unelectable.  Many in these areas will view the Cummings fiasco as an example of the 'have's and have not's' and now Corbyn has gone they will have another choice.

I think Cummings is finished, it may take a few months to save face but I think he'll be gone, he's just too toxic.   

When all this is over there will be an enquiry. The UK will not come out of it well. The overall message will be we were not prepared and started too late. People will argue about the reasons, but that will be the overall conclusion. How much of this damage will stick with Johnson until the next election, I'm not sure, but it will be the issue of the decade.

I think the enquiry when it happens will be scathing of May, as she was in power when the decision was made to ignore 2016 and all other previous advice and warnings of a pandemic and failed to plan at any level for it.  How long the enquiry will take, if Grenfell is anything to go by, years and Boris will just try and blame May!  All that said many in the areas mentioned above have directly suffered during this crisis thus far and it's not over yet, far from it.  Many Troy supporters will have also lost elderly family or relatives and are suffering too.   The damage is done and it will stick.   

I must admit to some congratulations for their financial packages. Yes there are some things that could have been better, and we don't know how it will be paid back, but furloughing all employees that needed it for so long deserves credit. Look at the unemployment queues for Welfare in the USA. That could have been us.

Yes I agree, this was a no brainier had they not done it, Boris wouldn't be in No 10 now.  The economic fallout of this will be huge, sadly many I think short term will lose their jobs as a direct result of the crisis, which will put them into the employment system which is hopeless.  Many running small businesses or are self employed, will sadly also get caught.  I read this morning employers are going to have to pay 20% of any furloughed employees salaries, that will potentially be the death nail for many, how many who knows and will add to the unemployment already caused by the virus.

I think it's the B word above all and some crap deal with Trump, if he survives in Nov, to say nothing of all the fall out form all the above.  The thing is this virus hasn't gone many are talking now as if it's all over, few more weeks a back to normal.  That is exactly the same mistake that was made in 1918, three months later and the virus was back with avengeance and we'll be letting the genie out of the bottle on Mon.  We've also yet to see how this test and trace system will work, many are still testing positive and they now believe as many as 80% could be asymptomatic.  If the testing system such as it is, is anything to go by, the test and trace system will possibly go the same way, with disastrous consequences.  We are now approaching the most dangerous phase, get it wrong and we'll be in real trouble.   

The world has also changed and much will be done differently going forward, which will as you say, be very interesting,

Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: 29 May 2020, 10:33:31 AM »
John Crace summed it up well in yesterday's column

'to Tory MPs and voters, ever realised you've been had?'

Johnson without Cummings is nothing. Living close to London, I remember him as Mayor. A complete buffoon. What was interesting was that he was under Cameron's and May's watch, and there was no love lost there. The Tory middle ground does not warm to him.

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2395 on: 29 May 2020, 12:05:26 PM »

:thumbup

Party politics aside, despite seemingly to have closed down the Cummings issue,

In the papers today (I think the Daily Fail!) there's a story that Cummings might "retire from his job" in six months after an operation...

That sounds to me like he's going to get the push after (supposedly) B****t when he'll have done his job, whilst (they probably hope) letting all those who want him gone to think that they've won.

When all this is over there will be an enquiry. The UK will not come out of it well.

The Tories have handled this in an absolutely shambolic manner, but nobody is really going to get held to account and, unfortunately, with an 80 seat majority, any such enquiry is going to be an utter whitewash.

I must admit to some congratulations for their financial packages. Yes there are some things that could have been better

There were a *lot* of things that could have been done better.

For example, people shouldn't have had to rely on their employers to furlough them and too many people fell through the cracks and weren't catered for even after high profile people like Martin Lewis campaigned on their behalf.

Yes, a lot of people have been helped, but a significant number weren't.

What's going to be "interesting" (as in the old Chinese curse: "May You Live in Interesting Times"!) is what they're going to do about the B- thing.

They still have nailed their colours to the mast over that, but it would be an economic disaster given the state of the worldwide economy at the moment, yet they'd probably rather take the whole country down with them than admit that they're going to have to postpone it again :(

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2396 on: 29 May 2020, 12:21:10 PM »
The thing is this virus hasn't gone many are talking now as if it's all over, few more weeks a back to normal.  That is exactly the same mistake that was made in 1918, three months later and the virus was back with avengeance and we'll be letting the genie out of the bottle on Mon. 

Yes, my girlfriend works in H&S for a big company in London and they're talking about not getting everyone back to work there for *at least* three months.

Also, though, they've found that working from home is feasible for their company, so, even after this is all over, they're probably going to keep doing that for a whole bunch of their workers, because it's not actually necessary for them to be *in* the office.

I hope that a lot of other companies would do the same where possible, because things like the air quality improvement, reduction in road transport, less pressure on infrastructure etc will be such a positive benefit for many people :thumbup

We've also yet to see how this test and trace system will work

There are other countries who have already done this with great success, so maybe we could learn something from being three months too late to the party.

Unfortunately I think that we're going to be stuck with the Not Invented Here attitude of the Tories who want to have their *own* system (which is not compatible with anyone else's) and which is owned and run by their mates, because that suits their mindset :(

The world has also changed and much will be done differently going forward, which will as you say, be very interesting,

I hope that the changes *stay*, rather than just going back to "business as usual", unfortunately I think that those who control big businesses and the media won't care that they're squandering an amazing opportunity, because it doesn't make money for them :(

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: 29 May 2020, 02:12:30 PM »
For example, people shouldn't have had to rely on their employers to furlough them and too many people fell through the cracks and weren't catered for even after high profile people like Martin Lewis campaigned on their behalf.Yes, a lot of people have been helped, but a significant number weren't.

As someone who (ahem) in the past would have had to implement this.... the only way to have done this quickly for employees is through the payroll. So employers had to be the vehicle for furlough and payment. Likewise for the Self Employment Scheme, it had to be done based on recent tax Self Assessment returns. Yes inevitably some did not get anything. Some for the right reasons, some for the wrong reasons. Call out for HMRC who paid furlough on time, and the Self Employment Scheme 2 weeks earlier than promised. But I doubt whether the government will thank the Civil Service.

On a similar note, a mate of mine has just said his sister and in law have just been given notice of redundancy by British Airways..... and offered their old jobs back at 45% of their previous salaries. This is what the country has to look forward to.  :eek
« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 02:14:15 PM by mtread »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: 29 May 2020, 02:37:24 PM »
On a similar note, a mate of mine has just said his sister and in law have just been given notice of redundancy by British Airways..... and offered their old jobs back at 45% of their previous salaries. This is what the country has to look forward to.  :eek

Wille Walsh, another weasel.  He's been trying to screw BA employees for years, friend of the Mrs will no doubt be in the very same boat, she's worked for them for over 30yrs. 
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: 29 May 2020, 03:35:27 PM »
I hope that a lot of other companies would do the same where possible, because things like the air quality improvement, reduction in road transport, less pressure on infrastructure etc will be such a positive benefit for many people

And should of course lead to higher wages, because of rent etc savings made by the employer..... but I'm not holding my breath  :rolleyes