Date: 03-07-20  Time: 12:03 PM

Author Topic: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...  (Read 37137 times)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...
« Reply #1700 on: 10 May 2020, 10:01:56 AM »
To fix the pot holes requires work gangs/teams, as were going to find out social distancing will prevent much of any work were people have to work closely together.  It works if you can guarantee (all tested) those in the team are virus free, keep them together and isolated from others, that means effectively living together for a period of time with no contact with others i.e. living on the job bit like oil platform and ships crews.  Replacement teams or crews, would need to be brought in, isolated, tested and rotated.
But we've only had social distancing for 7 or 8 weeks. They've done foc all about pot holes for donkeys years now :rolleyes .

This and previous one especially over the last 10yrs just saved to money, or rather paid into the cooperations who now undertake most road repairs, on behalf of councils.  These use half the people take 3 -4 times as long and pocket the difference in profit, years of that and you get what we've got.   
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: 10 May 2020, 10:06:26 AM »
Well it certainly hasn't stopped the 10 man crew from knocking down the whole part of a semi detached house across the road from me, and start straight away at building it back up again.
No masks or PPE that i've seen since they started.

I have no doubt, the same is happening at the other end of my road a large extension is being built.  They stopped for a 5 weeks, but being self employed no doubt as many construction works are, even those working on the roads, the government scheme for these is as we know a farce.

They're all playing Russian Roulette it's just a matter of time. 
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: 10 May 2020, 10:15:11 AM »
To fix the pot holes requires work gangs/teams, as were going to find out social distancing will prevent much of any work were people have to work closely together.  It works if you can guarantee (all tested) those in the team are virus free, keep them together and isolated from others, that means effectively living together for a period of time with no contact with others i.e. living on the job bit like oil platform and ships crews.  Replacement teams or crews, would need to be brought in, isolated, tested and rotated.
But we've only had social distancing for 7 or 8 weeks. They've done foc all about pot holes for donkeys years now :rolleyes .

Absolutely true.
I will admit to quite regularly reporting potholes that i think are dangerous enough to bring a biker down.
The amount of conversations i've had with people that whinge about them then when i ask if they've reported it they're like "Errrm, no."

There's an app called Love Clean Streets you can keep on your phone, which works either by GPS if you're near the location, or you can just type in an address or Postcode, then move the map so that the pin lands exactly where you want it.
The good thing about it is that it then sends your report to the appropriate council, without you needing to figure out which one is responsible. It's quick and easy to do, but then up to the council to do their part.
Unfortunately some councils are a lot slower than others to respond, or fix things, and i mean months rather than days. It's quite shocking when some potholes i've reported before are genuinely life threatening.

https://lovecleanstreets.com/reports/home
« Last Edit: 10 May 2020, 10:22:30 AM by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: 10 May 2020, 10:46:11 AM »
South Korea has started to re lock areas after only a week or so, we're talking about one, if not the most advanced country in the world at dealing with Covid19. 

Over the next few weeks, I'm fairly certain we'll see the same in other Western World counties, it's all too fast too soon.  We're are weeks behind some of these and Boris wants to start unlocking now................... :eek as our pathetic testing is slowly gathering pace we are finding more and more cases the rate of infection isn't slowing it's growing and that's while lockdown is in place.  The cases are more than likely in care homes or other heath workers and their families. 

But this is while lock down is full on, allow more out and about and................. you get a 1918 San Francisco, the similarities are striking.  They too had introduced lockdown, social distancing, flattened the curve and face masks ect.  More cases and still people dying, then a dip as the social distancing measures really started to work and pressure from the money men, things were released, after almost 2 months which included Christmas it all went down hill fast.

One thing history teaches us is it's all happen before and we never ever learn, mainly due to greed................... this is going to go horrible wrong I feel :(
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 91/2 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: 10 May 2020, 11:52:59 AM »
Quote from: YamFazFan on Today at 03:41:39 PM<blockquote>https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8195339/Left-wing-online-trolls-target-stricken-Boris-Johnson-saying-hope-dies.html
</blockquote>
Forget the political side of things here, but why should ANYONE think they can get away with saying things like that?
I know at my firm we'd be jumped on from a great height for saying, or worse still writing that on social media.
But these are people in prominent positions, I just don't get why they think it's even remotely acceptable?

Darrsi, why do you think your meme is acceptable, particularly considering the widespread concern over racist abuse directed at Diane Abbot?

Why do you keep bringing up the race card?

It's not my fault she's black is it? And there is no mention of any racial slur whatsoever.
So go and do one.
Just post memes about Priti Patel he will have no problem about those and suddenly Priti's colour wont even be mentioned.
If Abbott was white she would still be a national joke and an embarrassment to the labour party the only difference would be is that people would be allowed to say so without being called racist.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2020, 03:18:32 PM by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: 10 May 2020, 11:58:32 AM »
 :D

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: 10 May 2020, 06:38:12 PM »

Over the next few weeks, I'm fairly certain we'll see the same in other Western World counties, it's all too fast too soon.  We're are weeks behind some of these and Boris wants to start unlocking now................... :eek as our pathetic testing is slowly gathering pace we are finding more and more cases the rate of infection isn't slowing it's growing and that's while lockdown is in place.  The cases are more than likely in care homes or other heath workers and their families. 

As far as I am aware the rate of infection is falling.  What we will see is more cases reported simply because there are more tests being carried out, but the rate of infection should still be falling.  It’s for the statisticians and scientists to determine what R currently is.  We can see the death rate falling.

Obviously, testing is key to getting the economy going.  Economic activity is slowly increasing in any case.  Many businesses that shut down at the beginning of the lockdown are reopening now that they have a Covid19 social distancing in policy in place. 

I don’t think Covid19 is going anywhere for some time.  So businesses have to continue to figure out how to continue going about their business without increasing R.

More and more testing, faster testing, contact tracing and isolation, combined with smarter working can go a long way to getting much of the economy rolling again. 

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: 10 May 2020, 06:48:59 PM »
The government has admitted sending about 50,000 coronavirus tests to the US last week for processing after "operational issues" in UK labs.

The quicker the test the more effective the test.
But meanwhile here in blighty……...
The government has admitted sending about 50,000 coronavirus tests to the US last week for processing after "operational issues" in UK labs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52603566

Absolutely foccin hopeless.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: 10 May 2020, 07:21:44 PM »
Summary of Johnson's broadcast, for those who didn't see it :

1. He waved his arms about a lot
2. It could have been worse
3. It's important that the 4 nations of the UK work together, even if they are ignoring him
4. Everything is in 'fives' including plans and lists. Some of which are in colours
5. Things will be relaxed, but if they aren't it's all our fault
6. Go back to work because we're running out of money, but you've got to walk or cycle, however far away it is
7. The pubs will open, eventually
8. Oops, he forgot to mention garden centres

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #1709 on: 10 May 2020, 07:31:09 PM »
Boris and most of the West is just trying to save money for the super rich, who's investments are plunging, they're terrified of a new world order where big isn't best!     

Remember the FT published this article where they observed that:

The Black Death is often credited with transforming labour relations in Europe. Peasants, now scarce, could bargain for better terms and conditions; wages started to rise as feudal lords competed for workers. A thankfully much lower mortality rate means such a transformation is unlikely to follow coronavirus.

Seriously? They're thankful that the lower mortality rate means that the "peasants" (ie most of us) won't be able to bargain for better terms and conditions, so they can keep screwing us!

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #1710 on: 10 May 2020, 07:33:30 PM »
Citizens! A message from your Friend the Computer...

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: 10 May 2020, 07:39:45 PM »
On the plus side we can now go out and ride our bikes (alone of course) and not be breaking any rules 👍👍

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: 10 May 2020, 07:52:05 PM »
  • From Monday, people in England who "can't work from home" will be "actively encouraged to go to work''
  • The government says it is working on guidance for employers to make workplaces "Covid-secure"
How about completing point 2 before Monday? :rolleyes

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: 10 May 2020, 08:05:19 PM »
A joint statement issued later by Johnson and the French president, Emmanuel Macron, said the quarantine would not apply to those travelling between the two countries “at this stage”.
[/size][/color]
[/size]Anbody with other ideas made up as they go along, please submit them on the back of a fag packet..... [/color]

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: 10 May 2020, 08:30:25 PM »

This and previous one especially over the last 10yrs just saved to money, or rather paid into the cooperations who now undertake most road repairs, on behalf of councils.  These use half the people take 3 -4 times as long and pocket the difference in profit, years of that and you get what we've got.   

Not sure where you got your info for that statement. I worked for almost 40 years in the Highways industry, firstly for a local authority in the Highway Maintenance Department, then for Materials suppliers, Road Construction and Surfacing contractors and latterly in an Infrastructure business that runs local authority Highways Term Maintenance Contracts. I can categorically tell you that  a) they don't use half the people (althougthey usually do use less people, but work more efficiently), they have to identify operational sand staffing plans as part of their bids and b) they most definitely do not take 3-4 times as long to do the work. The councils only award the contracts on the basis that they can get more work done for the money the spend.

The reason the Infrastructure companies can make money is because they are more efficient at managing the operations overall. If councils managed their workforce and their workload as well as the Infrastructure companies (they certainly didn't when I worked for them!!), then they would get EVEN MORE work done for their money, because the "profit" could be ploughed straight back into getting more work done.

Don't believe everything you see/read/hear on Social Media  :(
« Last Edit: 10 May 2020, 08:36:23 PM by Millietant »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 91/2 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: 10 May 2020, 08:39:08 PM »
So the usual lefties moaning about Boris - it was Keir slimy starmer that was pressurising for an announcement for a get out of lock down plan - seems it was just so that they could then find fault with it. Opposition for the sake of it and a political point scoring set up. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs600, hon400/4, suzX7, honCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: 10 May 2020, 08:48:12 PM »
  • From Monday, people in England who "can't work from home" will be "actively encouraged to go to work''
  • The government says it is working on guidance for employers to make workplaces "Covid-secure"
How about completing point 2 before Monday? :rolleyes

well said (again) MTREAD........i`am back at work tomorrow , be interesting to see what changes have been made and how many people will take any notice of them...iam expecting a bit of disagreement  :rolleyes
One, is never going to be enough.....

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: 10 May 2020, 09:49:37 PM »
Not sure where you got your info for that statement. I worked for almost 40 years in the Highways industry, firstly for a local authority in the Highway Maintenance Department, then for Materials suppliers, Road Construction and Surfacing contractors and latterly in an Infrastructure business that runs local authority Highways Term Maintenance Contracts. I can categorically tell you that  a) they don't use half the people (althougthey usually do use less people, but work more efficiently), they have to identify operational sand staffing plans as part of their bids and b) they most definitely do not take 3-4 times as long to do the work. The councils only award the contracts on the basis that they can get more work done for the money the spend.

The reason the Infrastructure companies can make money is because they are more efficient at managing the operations overall. If councils managed their workforce and their workload as well as the Infrastructure companies (they certainly didn't when I worked for them!!), then they would get EVEN MORE work done for their money, because the "profit" could be ploughed straight back into getting more work done.

Don't believe everything you see/read/hear on Social Media  :(

Utter bollocks and you know it.  What happened 40, 30 or 20 yrs ago is nothing like what's been happening in the last 10 and you can't just catch up after years of neglect.  If you was correct the roads would be tip top, they're not nothing like it, motorways are better as they're funded by central government, local authorities which are often subsidiary companies of those who work for central government, it's a race to the bottom, Carillion ring any bells.  I know of quite a few people who work/ed for companies under the Highways agency banner and local authorities, they all mention about manning and as for efficiency, don't make us laugh.  It's taken longer to build a wall up the middle of the M1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 20 and bits of the M25 than in took to build the roads. I often as do may of us ride/drive round, up, down and around the M25, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 20, miles and miles of cones with no one doing anything for weeks even months on end, efficiency my arse.     

I don't do social media fella, these companies are in it for profit and profit first and above all.  I would also mention the amounts of roads resurfaced only to need repair with a year or two, cheap materials that just and I mean just pass spec many don't, a bit the Grenfill tower it's all about margin and profit.     

« Last Edit: 11 May 2020, 07:46:07 AM by Gnasher »
Later

Fazian

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: 10 May 2020, 10:16:35 PM »
Seems to me that no matter who is in charge or what the government propose there will always be people who don't agree (or moan) about the steps they've taken. I listened to Boris earlier and he clearly said from the outset that the lifting of these measures were subject to change if the R rate goes u

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: 10 May 2020, 10:17:31 PM »
Summary of Johnson's broadcast, for those who didn't see it :

1. He waved his arms about a lot
2. It could have been worse
3. It's important that the 4 nations of the UK work together, even if they are ignoring him
4. Everything is in 'fives' including plans and lists. Some of which are in colours
5. Things will be relaxed, but if they aren't it's all our fault
6. Go back to work because we're running out of money, but you've got to walk or cycle, however far away it is
7. The pubs will open, eventually
8. Oops, he forgot to mention garden centres

Oh yes Boris at his best, complete confusion taking utter shite, its going to go wrong big style  :evil
Later

Fazian

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: 10 May 2020, 10:27:50 PM »

Oh yes Boris at his best, complete confusion taking utter shite, its going to go wrong big style  :evil

Like in Germany and South Korea you mean?

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: 10 May 2020, 11:22:21 PM »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: 10 May 2020, 11:32:48 PM »
So the usual lefties moaning about Boris
So the usual supporters rallying around him, despite the continued evidence

This really is the 'stick or twist' moment for Johnson, and he knows it.
If all the numbers drop, then he will be the hero for saving the economy, and what has already happened will be glossed over.
If the numbers continue as they are, or get worse, he be reviled more than...... Tony Blair.

My opinion is, looking at Italy and Spain who were ahead of us, and are only just coming out of lockdown, is that Johnson is opening the country up about a month too early.

Fazian

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: 10 May 2020, 11:37:21 PM »
We went into lockdown a week after Spain so going by that why are we exiting too early?

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki KL250
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: 11 May 2020, 07:42:27 AM »

Did he say anything last night about garden centres reopening?.

I need to get a pair of shears. Not to trim the hedge, they're for cutting me hair :\
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.