Date: 04-06-20  Time: 14:45 PM

Author Topic: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...  (Read 30070 times)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki KL250
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...
« Reply #500 on: 24 March 2020, 11:24:55 AM »

The advice may change, it things continue to get worse, it may be only key workers continuing to travel to work.  That will include myslef - unless my employer sends me home.

+1. We've been defined as Key Essential Frontline Workers.
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: 24 March 2020, 11:40:58 AM »
 Does seem to be some confusion – yet again. :rolleyes
More informal, briefings are often featuring the word essential.
My mate says he’s had a text from the government and it uses the word essential.  My response is how do you verify a text?
But the document published on the government web site does not use the word essential. 
And documentation is what you go by at the end of the day.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 91/2 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: 24 March 2020, 12:26:32 PM »
Yes so far the SE have been left out of any help apart from you do not have to pay Julys tax until Jan.

Julys payment is worked out on last years tax bill for the year (18-19 ), July 2020 is a payment on account for what your 19-20 will actually be, sort of half payment towards what your actual properly worked out tax bill will be for 19-20.     

I do not see how deferring Julys payment will help. The final payment in Jan will be based on your actual earnings for 19-20 but as your earnings have now gone through the floor your January tax final payment is most likely going to be covered by the payment you would of paid in July, so you can not use that Julys tax you have been putting by as you are going to need that to pay your final amount in Jan.

Any other benefits for the SE are means tested.

The gov needs to pay the same amount to the SE on the same basis of the PAYE which is up to £2500 pm, and based on last years earnings on a pro-rata basis for each effective lockdown week starting 1st March. 

As has been said that would be sweet justice for all those SE claiming they were only earning x amount when in fact they were earning xxxx amount but only told the tax man about x amount.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2020, 12:28:53 PM by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki KL250
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 24 March 2020, 01:03:29 PM »

Does seem to be some confusion – yet again. :rolleyes
More informal, briefings are often featuring the word essential.
My mate says he’s had a text from the government and it uses the word essential.  My response is how do you verify a text?
But the document published on the government web site does not use the word essential. 
And documentation is what you go by at the end of the day.

We got told at a briefing held, adhering to the social distancing rules I may add, by the management this morning. They used the term Essential Service mostly.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: 24 March 2020, 02:04:31 PM »
The gov needs to pay the same amount to the SE on the same basis of the PAYE which is up to £2500 pm, and based on last years earnings on a pro-rata basis for each effective lockdown week starting 1st March.  As has been said that would be sweet justice for all those SE claiming they were only earning x amount when in fact they were earning xxxx amount but only told the tax man about x amount.

Absolutely. The government is claiming difficulty, but it isn't. They know who is self employed (they register as such). They know their NI numbers and they know how much profit they made last year from the tax return they submitted by the January 2020 deadline. How difficult is that. As for those not registering for tax, or taking cash in hand and not declaring enough income,well.....  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: 24 March 2020, 02:19:50 PM »
The gov needs to pay the same amount to the SE on the same basis of the PAYE which is up to £2500 pm, and based on last years earnings on a pro-rata basis for each effective lockdown week starting 1st March.  As has been said that would be sweet justice for all those SE claiming they were only earning x amount when in fact they were earning xxxx amount but only told the tax man about x amount.

Absolutely. The government is claiming difficulty, but it isn't. They know who is self employed (they register as such). They know their NI numbers and they know how much profit they made last year from the tax return they submitted by the January 2020 deadline. How difficult is that. As for those not registering for tax, or taking cash in hand and not declaring enough income,well.....  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yep, I think the issue here is who's going to do it!  They've cut HMRC/DWP/MOD/HHO to the bone, many other government Depts either no longer exist, or are contractors, it's the same with local authorities cut.  Many of these depts were set up during the wars and after to cater for serious issues, successive governments over 40 odds years have cut them.  In recent years they've been getting away with moving people from one Dept to another when things get bad, but now all the Depts are up to their necks and they just can't coupe with it all.  Especially as it all needs doing like now......... it's not happening, the government is writing cheques, they can't cash, in the time scales.

It's all coming home to roost, they're are running into their own catalogue of horrors!   
« Last Edit: 24 March 2020, 02:24:13 PM by Gnasher »
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: 24 March 2020, 02:24:30 PM »
The Chancellor's statement a few minutes ago. It's pathetic. The solution is quite simple. Pay everybody enough to get by, then take it back in extra tax the following year from those where the declaration on their new tax return shows that they were earning enough not to need it. Jesus Christ, HMRC has gone to pot since I left! :

Looking at historic tax return data from a year-and-a-half ago gives absolutely no guide to whether someone today who is self-employed is in the situation that they are prosperous and indeed their income may be increasing versus someone who is not.

Of course I am sympathetic to those who are adversely affected by what is going on. is The issue is one of finding a way to target help at those, rather than having something that provides blanket cash subsidies to 5 million people, many of whom will not need it and will end up costing all of our constituents on modest incomes a considerable amount to pay.
So it’s about finding a way to target support on those who most need it and that is what is requiring time and thought.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2020, 02:25:13 PM by mtread »

agricola

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: 24 March 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
Quote from: VNA on 23 March 2020, 11:42:03 PM<blockquote>Quote<blockquote>But only if you're an essential worker  </blockquote> That is not correct.
The official guidance is here
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874714/Full_guidance_on_staying_at_home_and_away_from_others.pdf
The key line is
Quote<blockquote>●Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home. </blockquote>However I am classed as an essential worker.
</blockquote>

And your essential work is?

Cick the link.  Read the guidance. 

I quote - again;
1. STAYING AT HOMEYou should only leave the house for one of four reasons.●Shoppingforbasicnecessities,forexamplefoodandmedicine,whichmustbeasinfrequentaspossible.●Oneformofexerciseaday,forexamplearun,walk,orcycle-aloneorwithmembersofyourhousehold.●Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person●Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home
The critical sector list is to allow those key workers to continue to send their children to school.
The advice may change, it things continue to get worse, it may be only key workers continuing to travel to work.  That will include myslef - unless my employer sends me home.

And your essential work is?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #508 on: 24 March 2020, 03:01:08 PM »
My Mrs works for Gatwick airport so is classified as an essential worker even though her main role has naff all to do with keeping the airport open. Her second role as one of the incident response teams "could" be seen as essential if an a/c goes down or something. That said she was lucky (if you can call it that) in being told she was being made redundant as of 6th June and handed all the paperwork in on Thursday before this all went mad. Hopefully she will sit around at home handing over her stuff online for a week or two more then sit around on gardening leave until June when the big payday occurs.

Me on the other hand normally work from home but my job is deemed essential due to the nature of my customers who are critical (not essential) according to the government. At the moment, its getting very quiet as the customer gradually shuts down so I may be sitting on my hands in a week or so.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: 24 March 2020, 03:18:48 PM »
Seems about right....

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki KL250
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: 24 March 2020, 03:45:42 PM »

Jesus Christ, HMRC has gone to pot since I left!

Big Head :pokefun

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: 24 March 2020, 04:48:13 PM »
Big Head

:)  Not just me. As Gnasher pointed out, there's been as mass clear out within the Civil Service over the last few years, of the people who knew what to do. All fed up (like me) with 0% payrises for 7 years.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: 24 March 2020, 07:38:08 PM »

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: 24 March 2020, 08:08:25 PM »

The super rich are foccin' unbelievable.
  https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/coronavirus-fury-as-worlds-richest-man-jeff-bezos-asks-public-to-donate-to-amazon-relief-fund/ar-BB11E63u?ocid=spartanntp
"We are not and have not asked for donations and the Amazon Relief Fund has been funded by Amazon with an initial donation of $25 million. The structure to operate a fund like this, which hundreds of companies do through the same third-party, requires the program to be open to public contributions but we are not soliciting those contributions in any way,"

As you were
~ it's just click bate
« Last Edit: 24 March 2020, 08:12:55 PM by fazersharp »

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: 24 March 2020, 08:17:04 PM »

The super rich are foccin' unbelievable.
  https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/coronavirus-fury-as-worlds-richest-man-jeff-bezos-asks-public-to-donate-to-amazon-relief-fund/ar-BB11E63u?ocid=spartanntp
"We are not and have not asked for donations and the Amazon Relief Fund has been funded by Amazon with an initial donation of $25 million. The structure to operate a fund like this, which hundreds of companies do through the same third-party, requires the program to be open to public contributions but we are not soliciting those contributions in any way,"

As you were
~ it's just click bate

Oops, sorry Jeff.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2020, 08:19:01 PM by vinnyb »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: 24 March 2020, 11:05:54 PM »
Odd thing I have noticed is that we have heard about countries all over the world but I have not heard 1 thing about Russia.

It has been mentioned that in the EU countries now suffering badly they have the standard greeting of kissing on cheeks, sometimes 3 times. Hopefully that is part of the reason the UK will not completely follow those countries. They also have bigger households with extended families and elderly under the same roof.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2020, 11:07:18 PM by fazersharp »

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: 25 March 2020, 12:00:55 AM »
Obviously not an important issue,but I'm doing some work on my house at the front and wondered if I can carry on ,I'm about 10/12 feet off the pavement,it's mainly woodwork and some painting.Didn't want to upset anyone is all.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: 25 March 2020, 07:21:01 AM »
Odd thing I have noticed is that we have heard about countries all over the world but I have not heard 1 thing about Russia.

It has been mentioned that in the EU countries now suffering badly they have the standard greeting of kissing on cheeks, sometimes 3 times. Hopefully that is part of the reason the UK will not completely follow those countries. They also have bigger households with extended families and elderly under the same roof.

There have been reports of the their usual methods of control media and shutting things down, people up, everything in Putin's Russian is perfect as we all know.  They claim they've been testing and have isolated all those testing positive and have it totally under control, basically the idea situation, one which no other country in the world has yet achieved. 

I think it's a safe assumption they are lying :rolleyes [size=78%]     [/size]
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: 25 March 2020, 08:37:34 AM »
Obviously not an important issue,but I'm doing some work on my house at the front and wondered if I can carry on ,I'm about 10/12 feet off the pavement,it's mainly woodwork and some painting.Didn't want to upset anyone is all.
I think you will be fine, do it now before things change.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: 25 March 2020, 12:06:31 PM »
 Yet another super rich dude, and big supporter of BREXIT turns out to be a total cunt.

ttps://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/wetherspoons-workers-hit-out-boss-tim-martin-outrageous-behaviour-a4396656.html

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: 25 March 2020, 12:37:36 PM »
A ligit way to ride your bike. Volunteer and opt for the transport of items between medical facilities.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: 25 March 2020, 12:41:02 PM »
A ligit way to ride your bike. Volunteer and opt for the transport of items between medical facilities.
Don't you think they'll take folks wi vans first - ya plumb. :lol
« Last Edit: 25 March 2020, 12:41:53 PM by VNA »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: 25 March 2020, 12:43:35 PM »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: 25 March 2020, 12:54:37 PM »
Yet another super rich dude, and big supporter of BREXIT turns out to be a total cunt.

ttps://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/wetherspoons-workers-hit-out-boss-tim-martin-outrageous-behaviour-a4396656.html

Sadly I think there will be a fair bit of this type of thing going on.  I don't use his pubs think I've only been in a handful of times and the last was many years ago.  I know they're popular with many due to pricing and I think it's fair to say they do offer good value.  That said it's very clear how it's run and what the priorities are money/profit above all, he/the business I'm sure could stand the staff's wages until the government assistance kicks.

Hopefully people will remember these acts post this crisis and vote with their feet.
Later