Date: 03-06-20  Time: 06:57 AM

Author Topic: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...  (Read 29665 times)

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...
« Reply #900 on: 09 April 2020, 04:41:13 PM »
In reference to the lockdown movement restrictions I keep hearing in the media this phrase..."Here in the UK we have policing by consent".
What the foc does that mean?

It means that everything that is not specifically forbidden by law is permitted.

Essentially, as explained by the notable police historian Charles Reith in his ‘New Study of Police History ‘in 1956, it was a philosophy of policing ‘unique in history and throughout the world because it derived not from fear but almost exclusively from public co-operation with the police, induced by them designedly by behaviour which secures and maintains for them the approval, respect and affection of the public’.

It should be noted that it refers to the power of the police coming from the common consent of the public, as opposed to the power of the state.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/policing-by-consent/definition-of-policing-by-consent

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #901 on: 09 April 2020, 04:48:56 PM »
Farmers fear for the harvest as 80,000 workers are needed to keep food on Britain's tables

workers who usually come from overseas to work on the harvest have been held back by COVID-19
Apparently there aren't enough immigrants around to do the picking...

... so says the Daily Mail...!!! :rollin :rollin :rollin

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 91/2 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: 09 April 2020, 08:28:06 PM »
workers who usually come from overseas to work on the harvest have been held back by COVID-19
That reminds me two days in a row I have witnessed groups of eastern Europeans who do not seem to give a toss. One group of 8 helping wash each others cars (2 cars ) in a supermarket petrol station. And another group of 6 having a BBQ in a back street lock-up, in full view of passers by. 
« Last Edit: 09 April 2020, 08:29:17 PM by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #903 on: 09 April 2020, 08:46:55 PM »
That reminds me two days in a row I have witnessed groups of eastern Europeans who do not seem to give a toss. One group of 8 helping wash each others cars (2 cars ) in a supermarket petrol station. And another group of 6 having a BBQ in a back street lock-up, in full view of passers by. 
To be fair, they probably all live together anyway
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: 09 April 2020, 09:27:01 PM »
Quote from: Grahamm on Today at 04:48:56 PM<blockquote>workers who usually come from overseas to work on the harvest have been held back by COVID-19
</blockquote>That reminds me two days in a row I have witnessed groups of eastern Europeans who do not seem to give a toss. One group of 8 helping wash each others cars (2 cars ) in a supermarket petrol station. And another group of 6 having a BBQ in a back street lock-up, in full view of passers by.     « Last Edit: Today at 08:29:17 PM »

I know I know.  Bloody immigrants!
Here's some more........well six of them are.....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: 09 April 2020, 09:59:57 PM »
Quote from: Grahamm on Today at 04:48:56 PM<blockquote>workers who usually come from overseas to work on the harvest have been held back by COVID-19
</blockquote>That reminds me two days in a row I have witnessed groups of eastern Europeans who do not seem to give a toss. One group of 8 helping wash each others cars (2 cars ) in a supermarket petrol station. And another group of 6 having a BBQ in a back street lock-up, in full view of passers by.     « Last Edit: Today at 08:29:17 PM »

I know I know.  Bloody immigrants!
Here's some more........well six of them are.....

What has a photo from 2016 of NHS workers got to do with Eastern Europeans having a BBQ during lock down. They are neither Eastern European nor having a BBQ in a back street lock up.  :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 09 April 2020, 10:07:26 PM by fazersharp »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: 09 April 2020, 11:33:36 PM »
I think you'll find Greece, and possibly Germany are in the east of Europe :rolleyes

Anyway, how did you know yours were 'eastern europeans'? They might have been Robert Jendrick  :pokefun

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: 10 April 2020, 05:42:19 AM »
 East Europeans are thought of as those from behind the old iron curtain. Thought a man of your all knowing ands seeing knowledge would have know that. 

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki KL250
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: 10 April 2020, 07:21:43 AM »
Report that shopping may be searched to check for non-essential items...
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/09/police-threaten-search-shopping-trolleys-check-buying-essentials-12532339/
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki KL250
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: 10 April 2020, 07:35:49 AM »
Emily Maitlis on Newsnight debunks the myth that Coronavirus is the 'great leveller'...
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/09/emily-maitlis-says-coronavirus-not-great-leveller-powerful-newsnight-speech-12532031/

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: 10 April 2020, 08:37:36 AM »
My country is in Central Europe, technically. Most of the top class engineers, mathematicians, doctors, mechanics, handy men, nurses... have left to work in Germany, UK and USA over the past three decades.

Wrote some drivel on the topic a few months ago.  :)

https://blog.bikegremlin.com/185/where-do-you-see-yourself-in-five-years/
« Last Edit: 10 April 2020, 08:38:18 AM by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: 10 April 2020, 08:41:45 AM »
Report that shopping may be searched to check for non-essential items...
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/09/police-threaten-search-shopping-trolleys-check-buying-essentials-12532339/

I read about that one the other day and the Metro are just engaging in click bate - they missed out the part where the police cheif said

"To be clear on the shopping trolley issue: This is about essential and necessary journeys, not what's in your trolley. I have been clear that we will not be judge and jury on what is an essential item or not, but we may now probe the purpose of the journey."
 I see the accompanying pictures one woman has a trolley full of garden stuff that you can buy in your local supermarket in the "seasonal isle" might be a bit extreme going out just to buy that that but what is wrong with buying a box of grass seed along with your loo rolls, pasta, and hand gel. After-all the supermarkets are still selling these items.   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: 10 April 2020, 08:43:55 AM »
East Europeans are thought of as those from behind the old iron curtain. Thought a man of your all knowing ands seeing knowledge would have know that. 
Oh he knew alright  ;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: 10 April 2020, 08:45:35 AM »
My country is in Central Europe, technically. Most of the top class engineers, mathematicians, doctors, mechanics, handy men, nurses... have left to work in Germany, UK and USA over the past three decades.
Why have you included "handy men" along with top class engineers, mathematicians, doctors  :lol

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: 10 April 2020, 08:53:39 AM »
Why have you included "handy men" along with top class engineers, mathematicians, doctors  :lol

Because, especially these days, with the curfews and lockdowns (at least here) those skills are precious. You can do without a lawyer, or an engineer today, but if your pipes start leaking - good luck!
« Last Edit: 10 April 2020, 08:54:24 AM by Slaninar »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: 10 April 2020, 09:16:23 AM »

Because, especially these days, with the curfews and lockdowns (at least here) those skills are precious. You can do without a lawyer, or an engineer today, but if your pipes start leaking - good luck!
Oh I see - we call them plumbers here in the UK.  :D

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: 10 April 2020, 09:55:06 AM »
East Germany was behind the iron curtain. Thought you would have known that  :rolleyes

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: 10 April 2020, 09:59:48 AM »
Good program on BBC last night (Horizon) about the virus and how the body fights against it (or not). Lots of facts rather than guesses. Well worth watching on iplayer if you missed it.
Added bonus of Hannah Fry as one of the presenters  :)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: 10 April 2020, 10:02:40 AM »
Why is the Gov panicking about this weekend being a "bank Holiday" and extra people going out. Every weekend is a bank holiday at the moment.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: 10 April 2020, 10:05:17 AM »

What do you call guys doing other house repairs? Stuck/broken doors, windows, jammed locks, leaking heat pipes, broken light switches etc?
The "general small house repairs" guys (never seen a woman do that for money)?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: 10 April 2020, 10:24:56 AM »

What do you call guys doing other house repairs? Stuck/broken doors, windows, jammed locks, leaking heat pipes, broken light switches etc?
The "general small house repairs" guys (never seen a woman do that for money)?
I was  :pokefun .
 But
  • Stuck/broken doors = Carpenter
  • windows = glazer
  • jammed locks = locksmith
  • leaking heat pipes = heating engineer
  • broken light switches = Electrician.
Especially the Electrician, there are very strict rules here about who can work on electric items in peoples homes and only qualified people can do it.   

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: 10 April 2020, 10:59:18 AM »
We have a growing number of female plumbers here in the UK. They can get to places men can't reach  :D

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki KL250
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: 10 April 2020, 11:12:34 AM »
Added bonus of Hannah Fry as one of the presenters  :)
I got all excited and had to google her immediately...........you could have told us she's a ginger :wall

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: 10 April 2020, 11:31:01 AM »
I was  :pokefun .
 But

Stuck/broken doors = Carpenter
    windows = glazer
    jammed locks = locksmith
    leaking heat pipes = heating engineer
    broken light switches = Electrician.

Especially the Electrician, there are very strict rules here about who can work on electric items in peoples homes and only qualified people can do it.   

Yes all potentially within the skill set of a handy man, or should I say handy person.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: 10 April 2020, 11:35:47 AM »

I read about that one the other day and the Metro are just engaging in click bate - they missed out the part where the police cheif said

"To be clear on the shopping trolley issue: This is about essential and necessary journeys, not what's in your trolley. I have been clear that we will not be judge and jury on what is an essential item or not, but we may now probe the purpose of the journey."
  I see the accompanying pictures one woman has a trolley full of garden stuff that you can buy in your local supermarket in the "seasonal isle" might be a bit extreme going out just to buy that that but what is wrong with buying a box of grass seed along with your loo rolls, pasta, and hand gel. After-all the supermarkets are still selling these items.   

Really?  I think the response from most folks around here would be a polite no – followed by reminding the police to practise social distancing, and if absolutely necessary telling them to fuck off.

On the other hand I’m not convinced many police officers up here would be so stupid.