Date: 06-06-20  Time: 00:00 AM

Author Topic: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...  (Read 30530 times)

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...
« on: 28 February 2020, 12:08:15 PM »
If you believe the way the media are portraying this, we're only one step away from the Zombie Apocalypse!

But if you look at this page: www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/ you'll see that the highest probabilty of dying from COVID-19 is if you are over 80 years old, followed by the 70-79 year old age group.

This is entirely unsurprising, since people in those groups are most likely to be susceptible because they have other, underlying medical conditions and/ or have weakened immune systems.

Frankly I think the scaremongering by the media is grossly irresponsible, especially because it's feeding back into government policy with mass quarantines, schools being closed and, even more regrettably, resulting in racist and xenophobic attitudes towards people from China etc as if they're plague carriers.

If you compare COVID-19 to the effects of Flu *every year*, you get a sense of how much this has been blown out of proportion:

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 81,322 cases worldwide; 59 cases in the U.S. as of Feb. 26, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 2,770 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 26, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

agricola

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 AKA Coronavirus - A sense of proportion...
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2020, 12:14:11 PM »
If you believe the way the media are portraying this, we're only one step away from the Zombie Apocalypse!

But if you look at this page: www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/ you'll see that the highest probabilty of dying from COVID-19 is if you are over 80 years old, followed by the 70-79 year old age group.

This is entirely unsurprising, since people in those groups are most likely to be susceptible because they have other, underlying medical conditions and/ or have weakened immune systems.

Frankly I think the scaremongering by the media is grossly irresponsible, especially because it's feeding back into government policy with mass quarantines, schools being closed and, even more regrettably, resulting in racist and xenophobic attitudes towards people from China etc as if they're plague carriers.

If you compare COVID-19 to the effects of Flu *every year*, you get a sense of how much this has been blown out of proportion:

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 81,322 cases worldwide; 59 cases in the U.S. as of Feb. 26, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 2,770 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 26, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Yes, and the focus now appears to be sliding from health to economic effects

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 91/2 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2020, 12:26:12 PM »
There's no brexit and the imminent demise of the government to report, HRH Andrew has dissipated, the Australian fires are out, disastrous floods are sadly old news. So the 24 hour news needs somthing to report.     
But what you are missing is that the death rate appears to be a lot higher than flu. That's the rate - not the total. What's the point in quoting the total death rate of a virus that is 2 months old and comparing it with yearly totals of the flu that is already world wide.
Anyway its a long planned agenda to reduce the world population.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2020, 12:27:51 PM by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2020, 01:08:16 PM »

Infections

Deaths

Yes, and the focus now appears to be sliding from health to economic effects

That's because once again the wankers in the financial industry are manipulating share prices to make money for themselves, in the real world nothing has changed.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
About 4% mortality rate for Covid-19 at the moment. For Flu, I have seen figures everywhere from 0.1% to 10% but I suspect it is about the same as Covid-19
The big difference between the two is we MAY have a vaccine for this years Flu but we don't have one for Covid-19 which means people who are most at risk are more likely to get ill. this is base don the fact that the higher risk people get the Flu vaccine normally.

Part of me thinks lets just get on with it, the worlds population could do with a bit of thinning and it would be survival of the fittest. Another part of me thinks I wont make it :rollin but hey ho. Life's a bitch. Other friends and family members would go too but the alternative is to shut down global transport etc for two weeks and force people to self isolate themselves. Apart from fresh stuff, many households could survive for a week or two without stepping out the door if they were forced to. They wouldn't like it and global business would suffer but who gives a foc about them?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

agricola

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2020, 05:34:45 PM »
I guess there are a numbers of foccers who (like me) are in the "zone". Given the number of utterly irresponsible folk in the UK today, self isolation is unlikely to work so my feeling is we are in for many cases of the virus to appear.  I don't think the medics have quite got a handle on how the virus operates yet, it may be that the 14 day period is not long enough and that the virus can hide itself sufficiently to fool the checks

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2020, 06:59:32 PM »
From Private Eye...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2020, 07:08:57 PM »

The big difference between the two is we MAY have a vaccine for this years Flu but we don't have one for Covid-19 which means people who are most at risk are more likely to get ill. this is base don the fact that the higher risk people get the Flu vaccine normally.

Absolutely on the money BBROWN.  As far as I am aware this years flu vaccine has been a success.  The other thing is, that even if it is wrong, it can I believe be relatively quickly re-jigged and a new updated vaccine can be issued.  Whereas Covid-19 is a new for humans virus. 

The other big reason why this is a worry, is we don’t fully know quite how this virus will behave yet.  The experts are still learning, and one fear, and hopefully this won’t happen, is that it will mutate. 

The country to watch right now is Tenerife.  There have been 4 cases, and they may have nipped it in the bud, but if it sneaks out of quarantine well………    Many experts reckon COVID19 won’t survive in warm weather, so the warmer climates are the ones to watch. 

Anyway don’t forget that the Spanish flu H1N1 killed 50 million people in 1918 through to 1920.  10 million more than the great war killed.

Another part of me thinks I wont make it :rollin but hey ho.
Indeed.  I get my flu jab every year cos I got a touch of asthma.  My asthma rarely bothers me, I go most of the year without using inhalers, but if I catch a cold it’s hell, and the last time I caught the flu I very nearly ended up in hospital. 

I guess we just have to wait and see, it might fizzle out, or do the rounds without too much damage.  It shouldn’t do the damage that Spanish Flu did, but that only cos we understand the basic techniques to prevent spread.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2020, 10:37:32 AM »

Infections

Deaths

Well that's me F85cked then

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2020, 01:24:27 PM »
Stay on the bike and you will be fine, its when you get off it the problem starts.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2020, 07:08:16 PM »
Stay on the bike and you will be fine, its when you get off it the problem starts.
When you stop, keep your hat on, do not open your visor. 

Grahamm

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2020, 11:52:56 PM »
Hmm...

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2020, 06:34:54 AM »
+1 for that Grahamm

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2020, 09:22:25 AM »
I agree it's all fecking hyped up out of proportion. Natures way of culling :eek
It's  pissing because MotoGp is being cancelled and now its rumoured that WSBK will be cancelled :\ .

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
I agree it's all fecking hyped up out of proportion. Natures way of culling :eek
Its not nature it is a pre planned reduction in world population.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 March 2020, 12:30:33 PM »
The only thing we can be sure of is the rich will get richer and the like so of us will pay for it and get worse off. 

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 March 2020, 02:03:29 PM »
Its not nature it is a pre planned reduction in world population.
Chinese trying to reduce its older population, but the doctor let the cat out of the bag and told everybody  :eek

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki KL250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 March 2020, 05:26:21 PM »
Heard an interesting point raised on the radio earlier regarding workers who are told to self-isolate at home for 2 weeks.
How do you get the doctor's sick note that's required by the employer after seven days if you can't leave the house?.
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 March 2020, 06:28:33 PM »

The only thing we can be sure of is the rich will get richer and the like so of us will pay for it and get worse off. 
The only thing the rich can do to escape it is to self-isolate until it’s over.
Hmm...
From your list there only SARS and Bird flu had potential as an out of control pandemic.  Fortunately, whilst there were concerns neither really took off.

So I don’t see this as hype.  The current situation is unprecedented.  Despite containment controls it does look highly likely we will have a pandemic.  I’m no expert but I thought the last true pandemic was 1918 – 1920.  Estimates are that it infected 27% of the global population and killed 50 million people.  They are estimates of course.  It is estimated it wiped out 2% of the world’s population.

Put it this way it did a shit more damage than ww1, and nobody claims that was hyped. 

So yeah, we face a situation where it looks increasingly likely that this virus will now run free across the globe and do its stuff.  Lets just hope that it doesn’t take hold as many are predicting – every week that passes tells us more……

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 March 2020, 06:51:17 PM »
Anyway I'm sure our wonderful new government will soon have this all under control.........

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 March 2020, 07:51:41 PM »
Listening to the radio.
WHO spokesperson explained that there are vacines available for seasonal flu for those at risk.Further many in the wider population have built up a degree of immunity to seasonal flu.Covid 19 is a new virus.  There is no vacine for the vunerable, and nobody has any immunity. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 March 2020, 08:14:15 PM »
IMO the best thing to do if you are a one of the % at high risk is go to a public area and lick the handrails :b and catch it now so that you can be treated before the NHS gets overwhelmed and can not cope at all.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki KL250
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 March 2020, 08:19:16 PM »
Anyway I'm sure our wonderful new government will soon have this all under control.........

Trust you to try and politicise it :rolleyes .  I'm surprised you haven't blamed Brexit yet. And there I was thinking what a lot of sense you wrote in reply #18 :wall
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 March 2020, 08:42:18 PM »
Trust you to try and politicise it :rolleyes .  I'm surprised you haven't blamed Brexit yet. And there I was thinking what a lot of sense you wrote in reply #18

You gotta have a laugh bud. :D

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 March 2020, 08:43:45 PM »