Date: 01-06-24  Time: 19:33 pm

Author Topic: kilometres to mph  (Read 4150 times)

redman

• DAS Born Again
  • You will make the corner lean in throttle on
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - BMW s1000rr/1200gt
    • View Profile
kilometres to mph
« on: 12 April 2012, 09:39:50 pm »
Is there anyway of changing the digital milage and trip 1/2 to show Mph instead of kilometres. I beleave my bike was destind for holland  :wallbut never got there. Would i have to replace clocks kms are doin my head in????
Damn those racetecs grip like glue

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
Re: kilometres to mph
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2012, 11:22:05 am »
I can't find anything in the owners manual.  I'd have thought that there is a jumper on the instruments circuit board (like you used to have to set on PC sound cards and the like).
Other than that it's new clocks I guess.

redman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - BMW s1000rr/1200gt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2012, 12:18:43 pm »
Thanks for your help Andy. Sorry for stupid question but what is a jumper and how would i find it if i bought second hand clocks can the milage be adjusted to match whats on my bike now cheers karen.

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2012, 01:27:24 pm »
A jumper is a link which (in the old days) was used to select options on circuit boards.  I'm not saying that the Fazer clocks use them, I don't know, they could use a different chip for MPH or even a totally different instrument cluster.

No, sorry, the mileage on new clocks can't be changed.  This is intentional to prevent fraud ("clocking").  Unless you know some shady characters?
« Last Edit: 13 April 2012, 01:28:05 pm by Andy Clap »

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2012, 09:33:41 pm »
Mine was destined for France in 2000 and it has been converted (by the importer) to read Miles instead of Kilometers.

It was done with a little electronic module that sits in the connection box under the tank and has the speedo sender wire cut and soldered to each end with 2 wires to the +12V and earth wires. The module (I suppose) simply outputs 5 pulses for every 8 that it receives.

It has a "MPH" sticker crudely placed over the "KPH" on the dial. - It works fine except that you can't really tell the difference between 30MPH and 35MPH cos the resolution is poor at low speeds.

Oh, and the speedo reads up to 240MPH ....  :rollin

I tried to google for a similar module but it failed to find anything. You might get lucky if you persevere. :\

redman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - BMW s1000rr/1200gt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2012, 01:51:35 am »
Thanks guys I guess il just have to persevere what a bummer :'( .

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2012, 08:45:36 am »
If you get hold of some mph clocks that have an odometer reading of less than your bike has it would be fairly straightforward to "clock' it to match. Anyone with a bit of electronics knowledge could knock up a pulse generator to add miles to those recorded, it's subtracting them that's difficult. :)

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2012, 09:32:57 am »
If you get hold of some mph clocks that have an odometer reading of less than your bike has it would be fairly straightforward to "clock' it to match. Anyone with a bit of electronics knowledge could knock up a pulse generator to add miles to those recorded, it's subtracting them that's difficult. :)
I like that, good idea.
Just make sure that if you do fit clocks with less miles, they show more miles at your next MOT than the old ones did at the last MOT (i.e if your last MOT showed 10,000 miles, the new clocks must show at least 10,000 miles at the next MOT).  If not your bike will forever flag a Mileage Discrepancy on HPI checks.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2012, 09:33:48 am by Andy Clap »

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2012, 10:33:02 am »
The chances are none these will work but here goes.

It seems the answer (if it works on your model) is to hold down the select and And other button down for 2 - 4 seconds. This is from a non Uk sight but it does not seem to work on all models.

Instructions in this thread

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6/307060-km-h-mph-conversion.html

If this does not work

Tools to change speedo here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=speedohealer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#q=speedohealer&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&ei=2kSJT9S0I4qa8gPs27TDCQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=6ad55de9bcad4c7&biw=768&bih=900

Manual for here so you can see whats what

« Last Edit: 14 April 2012, 11:14:17 am by Oxygen »

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2012, 11:09:55 am »
Tools to change speedo here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=speedohealer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#q=speedohealer&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&ei=2kSJT9S0I4qa8gPs27TDCQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=6ad55de9bcad4c7&biw=768&bih=900

From the site above:"Recall your true top speed to your factory speedometer by press of a button mounted on the handlebars (Did you wonder just how fast you were going on that track day?)"

Oh, Derbyshire police would love that on every bike!  Save them a fortune in batteries for the speed traps they use on every little straight at the weekend.  They could just go to Matlock Bath and press all of the little buttons and issue fines!

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2012, 11:55:09 am »
I hope you are not insinuating that any fazer owner would ever consider exceeding the much respected national speed limit  :eek I am deeply shocked  :rolleyes
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2012, 01:35:50 pm »
ever consider exceeding the much respected national speed limit
Oh, we dream of the national speed limit!  The dead straight A515, very few junctions, and "It's 50 for a reason" signs every 200 meters.  The Cat and Fiddle, 50MPH with rear-facing average speed cameras put in at a cost of millions specifically to catch bikes.  The Via Gellia, lovely road with a surface neglected by design to kill us all...
Still wouldn't live anywhere else though  :)

redman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - BMW s1000rr/1200gt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2012, 01:44:19 pm »
Cheers guys Oxygen im going to buy the speed healer thanks for the link to the site etc.  When I need a new chain and sprocket im going to go one down at the front and one up at the back (I think thats right) :rollin to get a little more economy when in 6th gear with all the petrol price increases i think its worth the change. A few of us went to Betws y coed llanberris snowdon etc last night and we werent hanging about  :car and I got 57mpg so not to bad. Can anybody reccomend a good sprocket chain kit thanks Kazz  ;) .