Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:09 pm

Author Topic: Dreaded Front Sprocket  (Read 11595 times)

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Dreaded Front Sprocket
« Reply #25 on: 18 April 2012, 05:03:53 pm »
Just Emailed Yamaha with all bike info to see if I can get them interested in replacing nut FOC if not I'll buy one and fit myself. Has anyone had any luck with Yamaha recently?

Andy

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 April 2012, 04:34:09 pm »
I've been in contact with my dealer and with Yamaha. Please see below.
Reply from dealer;
The part you require for your FZs600 2003  model is available to order from us here at ########.
You can collect from our store, or we can send the part to you.
Total cost of the part including vat is £4.20 ( In store today ) Unfortunatley the Yamaha FOC replacement campaign has long finished.
We also have the locking tab washer £4.10 Inc vat
Many thanks
Parts Department

Reply from Yamaha

Thank you for your enquiry about your  Yamaha FZS600.
 The service note you have mentioned relates to a service check of the torque of the front sprocket nut.
 If your motorcycle has ever had a replacement chain and sprocket set, the fitting technician will have re-torqued ok.
 I hope this information is of assistance.

Best regards,
 ######
 Technical Service
[font=]
 Service Department
[/b][font=]
 After Sales Division[/font]
[/font]

My reply

[font=]Thank you for your reply but I’m more concerned about the actual suitability of the front sprocket nut as mine is only 9mm wide(original) and I’m lead to believe by several other people that Yamaha have found this nut to be inadequate and hence replaced it FOC with an upgraded 12mm nut and gearbox output shaft when required. I’m aware as you say the new nut is fitted with a higher torque setting but as mine is not the upgraded 12mm nut I feel that over tightening it may actually do more harm than good. At the moment mine seems fine but as ignoring it could lead to serious engine damage I’m anxious to get it resolved.[/font]
 [font=] [/font]
 [font=]Best Regards[/font]

And Finally from Yamaha

Hello Andrew,

The nut for the front sprocket has a different part number mentioned as it comes in a kit with the tab washer. The nut in the kit is the same as the standard. i.e no change.

I hope this information is of assistance
 Best regards,
 ########
 Technical Service
 Service Department

After Sales Division

So according to Yamaha the nut has never changed? obviously wrong.  I know I could just change the nut but I'm concerned if I touch it and find anything else...........  If I phone Yamaha who do I ask for and what do I say if they say nothings changed?

Sorry it's a bit long.

Help Andy

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #27 on: 20 April 2012, 06:46:23 pm »
If the nut is tight now all will be fine, if there was a problem it would have come loose and shagged the thread but as it hasn't just buy the new nut and fit it ffs, it's less than a tenner for the kit and it's a ten year old bike long out of warranty, they've done well to repair as many as they have out of warranty, if you ignore a problem you know about with a cheap fix you will only have yourself to blame for not doing it when it goes wrong.
The kit part number is 90891-10124, the nut is 12mm thick with slightly different recess depth and tab washer included, I can guarantee that as it's in my hand right now (still not fitted it :o ).
buy kit, fit kit, problem gone, go to pub! Simples.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 April 2012, 07:13:52 pm »
Clearly you're up against someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. While I can see a temptation to make him acknowledge that he's wrong, is it worth the effort? Saving eight quid if the cost is hours spent composing emails and getting wound up by obstinate twits at Yamaha doesn't seem like a good return on anyone's time to me.
Change it now if it bothers you, else just get in the habit of giving the back wheel a spin when the engine isn't running, if you hear a chink-chink noise  the nut's come off and you need to replace it, otherwise wait until the chain and sprockets need changing and do it then.

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #29 on: 04 May 2012, 09:23:09 pm »
Bike's booked in for Tuesday, new nut and washer courtesy of Yamaha.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 May 2012, 09:54:34 pm »
It must have been Yamaha (music) I contacted as they didn't even know there was an issue never mind about them sorting it FOC so it looks as if I'm going to have to sort it myself.

bomeister

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2012, 09:20:16 pm »
Hello to the Fazer club, I have just registered as I am in the process of trying to buy a good fzs 600. Somewhat alarmed by this news.  I will hopefully be looking at a pretty mint 2001 with low miles this weekend. As you are all familiar with the bike, can you tell me; is it possible to access the sprocket nut with the fingertips with the cover in place, at least to superficially check that everything is tight and present. I don't think that the seller would be very keen on having his bike dismantled by a potential buyer. The prospect of buying a new (to me) bike for nearly a couple of thou with such a fault is tending to put me off, even if Yamaha would fix it for free.
Thanks.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2012, 03:52:42 am »
No, unfortunately, as far as I'm aware you must remove the sprocket cover. To do this, first you have to remove the gear lever from the gear shaft - it only involves one (hex) bolt. Removing the cover is simple too, only involves 4 or 5 (allen) bolts, something like that. They are of various lengths so remember where they go.

Also be aware that originally there was a gasket beneath the cover that would likely need replacing - but unless the bike is very low mileage and never had the cover taken off, it's very likely to have been removed before and not replaced as it's basically a redundant part and nobody bothers.

It's a simple, 10 min job to do and there is no harm in asking the seller to do this so you can check it. Shame you have worry in the first place though as it's a cracking bike as all of us here know.

mattster

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Firestorm
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2012, 07:38:36 pm »
Hi folks,

The nut has come off my other half's fazer, and looks like it has removed the threads from the output shaft as well....

I'll try Yamaha to see if they'll do anything, but I very much doubt it!

If I don't want to split the cases (well, not yet anyway), what options do I have?

Can a new thread be tapped onto the output shaft and a smaller nut fitted?

At the moment, I'm considering getting the sprocket/nut welded onto the shaft so we use the bike over the summer, then stripping it down over the winter!

Typical... just had to happen 2 weeks after she passed her test when the sun's out!