Date: 04-06-20  Time: 03:42 AM

Author Topic: Sloppy Gear Lever  (Read 651 times)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Sloppy Gear Lever
« on: 27 January 2017, 10:13:43 PM »

Just wanted to confirm that this is the right spring to be looking at if my gear lever seems a bit sloppy in that it doesn't return to it's proper position as it used to making gear changes a bit less positive - http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11875&highlight=shifter+spring

There was talk of trying to find a stronger spring that would fit or even fitting 2 springs instead of the one, has anyone had any success with either of these options? Any other things I should be looking at to help with the gear lever action? I've greased up the rose joints.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Sloppy Gear Lever
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2017, 04:53:08 AM »
Finally got round to replacing the spring which was only a couple of quid from the stealers. The old one was still in tact but the whole assembly came off with the cover so I don't know if it had somehow become detached. Having replaced it gear changes are a lot more positive and the gear lever is a lot less sloppy. I also believe that there is less rattle when in idle switching between clutch in and clutch out, but that's only after a single test ride.

I had bought two springs with the intention of possibly fitting both as I'm sure I had read that this had been done before but on inspection this would require enlarging the retaining hole on the mechanism which I wouldn't want to do in case it weakened it, so the second spring has been passed on to a good home.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2017, 08:28:25 AM by PieEater »