Date: 20-04-24  Time: 04:21 am

Author Topic: fzs600 carb removal  (Read 6960 times)

jackw96

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
fzs600 carb removal
« on: 23 February 2016, 09:31:07 am »
Recently bought a fazer at a steal! Only problem is that it's running a bit lumpy low down. Going to start at the carbs. Was just wondering what's involved in removing them? Assume it's tank off and airbox out. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated
Cheers

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: fzs600 carb removal
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2016, 12:09:05 pm »
Yes, tank off (easy enough, 2 screws, detach fuel line and gauge wire)
Battery out, remove side panels and rubbers, loosen rubber boots on back of carbs, slide airbox backwards. Remove choke, fuel pipe, coolant tubes, loosen rubber boots that attach the carbs to the engine and then a right faff removing the throttle cables as you slide the carbs out to one side.

It's not rocket science and takes about half an hour, a bit longer and a bit more swearing to get back in, pushing the carbs into 4 rubbers and reconnecting throttle cables is a bit fiddly. it'll be worth getting yourself a Haynes manual.

Brett
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2016, 12:15:18 pm »
... I might be the exception rather than the rule, but whenever my bike has ever ran lumpy it's always been something electrical, plugs, caps, battery.. or she generally just wants a good run and a bit of redex in the tank.

My bike spends most of winter sat out in the rain and periodically goes rough. I serviced the carbs just before Xmas and they were spotless, looked like nothing could go wrong with them, no residue inside or blockages. Slides seemed free moving, I don't know why I bothered other than to tick it off the list when fault finding.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2016, 12:51:28 pm »
If it's running lumpy under 3000rpm it may just need a carb balance, which would be a lot less effort to begin with.
Just make sure your air filter is in good nick (or replace) before doing it.
I would also do a TPS check and make sure that it is in the right position as well 'cos that can cause ropey running at low revs, although that would eventually be part of the carb balance procedure too.
As suggested, a good run may help, and I would recommend using some STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner to run through the carbs, I normally use half a bottle per full tank of fuel, some others on here just lob the whole bottle in though.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Brettholmes89

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2016, 07:22:56 pm »
Does it Rev out ok? Might be mucky jets?
I had a nightmare trying to get the carbs back in and the throttle cable reconnected. I was ready for binning it!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2016, 09:18:07 pm »
Start with simple stuff first, plugs caps, air filter, plugs,once they are fine and you still have an issue delve deeper.

There is a simple knack to the replacing the carbs.
Ensure all the hose clamp bolts are screwed flush with the nuts.
Push  the Air box straight back and tighten the 2 side bolts. this give max space and prevents the air box moving around.
Get a lint free cloth, wet it with WD40 and rub it on the inside of the manifold rubbers, air box rubbers and the edges of the carb mouths, doesn't need much.
I find jamming the throttle open full helps me put the front cable on, but make sure you guide the cable in through the carbs correctly.
I usually put the carbs in from the top, left side down first taking care not to catch the coolant pipes.
Then push it on the rubbers manifold rubbers.
Be careful, I have seen fellows push bikes of stands because the carbs were not positioned properly before pushing.
Undo the airbox bolts and push it on the back of the carbs.
Check everything is seated correctly before tightening the hose clamps.