Date: 18-04-24  Time: 12:36 pm

Author Topic: MCE modifications policy update  (Read 9182 times)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
MCE modifications policy update
« on: 26 October 2015, 04:07:08 pm »
Here's an interesting and refreshing approach from MCE insurance with regards to modifications -

Policy Update:

We are writing to remind you of MCE’s unique approach to modifications.

MCE understands that many bikers like to change, improve and generally tinker with the look and feel of their bike. Our approach is to accept the majority of these modifications without any need for you to tell us.

In the event of a claim, what we will do is simply replace parts back to the manufacturers standard or value your motorcycle as if it was a manufacture standard machine. To avoid any confusion we have made some changes to our terms and conditions in relation to modifications to your vehicle. 

Your current terms and conditions state that you must notify us of any modifications you make to your vehicle. From the date of this communication, our terms and conditions are changing as follows: 

Cover will not be provided if the modification involves the fitting of a Turbocharger, Supercharger, Nitrous Oxide or the frame of Your Motorcycle is being modified in any way.
Cover will be provided for any other modification and there is no longer a requirement to notify us of these changes.
Where modifications have been made, we will only value your motorcycle, or pay the cost of replacing parts or equipment needed, using the manufacturer’s standard specification.
If you wish to talk about these changes, then as always the friendly team at MCE are on hand to talk. You can email, go to our website and live chat or simply call us on 0870 4207 509
Some say...

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Re: MCE modifications policy update
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2015, 04:09:47 pm »
My car insurer gives discount for turbo charging, one of the lads fitted one to his MX5 and saved £3.00 lol
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2015, 05:15:06 pm »
That's a refreshing stance for a change, let's just hope all the other daylight robbers follow suit.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2015, 05:46:46 pm »
They understand drivers who spend many hours and hundreds of pounds modifying their cars tend to look after them and drive more carefully.
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2015, 06:49:57 pm »
Depends how modded your bike is I s'pose, if it's heavily modded/upgraded then you will lose out if they only replace as standard.
The main point is that they won't try and refuse a payout with some shit excuse like you never told them about your tank pad or heated grips.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2015, 07:40:11 pm »
Genuine parts often cost more than the bits you put on.
If you make a claim you negotiate for the xyz  part instead of the standard part.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2015, 07:05:21 am »
The main point in this to me is that if you do have mods (exhaust being most popular) your premium wont be bumped up anymore, and when MCE were cheapest for me to start with mods declared then this is a very good thing!
Some say...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2015, 07:31:54 am »
Genuine parts often cost more than the bits you put on.
If you make a claim you negotiate for the xyz  part instead of the standard part.

The downside to this is if the parts are that expensive i'd imagine they'll write the bike off, due to age and book value.
They'll sting you one way or another.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2015, 01:27:59 pm »
I do like MCE for this as they are basically the only company that will actually insure me with the major modifications noted

the cueball

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - zx12r, H2, RC51, MT09, Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2015, 01:49:16 pm »
when did this happen?

I'm with MCE and haven't heard anything from them...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2015, 02:21:59 pm »
Well sod that--------- I have just got a quote from them and they want £575 compulsory excess  :eek , my current insurers Are £250 excess and are also £30 cheaper for the insurance 
« Last Edit: 27 October 2015, 04:50:51 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2015, 04:24:38 pm »
Well sod that--------- I have just got a quote from them and they want £575 compulsory excess  :eek , my current insurers Are £250 and £30 cheaper for the insurance 
when did this happen?

That's one of the reasons I plan to leave them in December. I wanted to add a Honda Innova to my policy, for 4 months ins they wanted £240 with a £800 excess. guess what I told em.  :lol

Me neither but Bennets are offering 16 modifications without an increase in price.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2015, 04:47:24 pm »
Well sod that--------- I have just got a quote from them and they want £575 compulsory excess  :eek , my current insurers Are £250 and £30 cheaper for the insurance 
when did this happen?

That's one of the reasons I plan to leave them in December. I wanted to add a Honda Innova to my policy, for 4 months ins they wanted £240 with a £800 excess. guess what I told em.  :lol

Me neither but Bennets are offering 16 modifications without an increase in price.

I'm with Bennetts, and declared my exhaust, £89 comprehensive cover.  :thumbup

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2015, 12:31:04 pm »
when did this happen?

Received email last week!

Yes- excess is ridiculous, I have a bike that's worth about a grand so would never claim on the insurance anyway- 5 years of declaring a claim and then paying a premium on it makes it not worthwhile (I've learnt that the hard way!)
Cheapest way for me to be legal with all my mods!
Some say...

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2015, 12:47:30 pm »
I  declared my FZs1000 caliper, R6 shock mod, and my upgraded springs, and new end can.....first year of insurance, about 200$, i have no no-claims as its my first bike

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2015, 02:55:39 pm »

Good. It had got ridiculous. I've been declaring the most trivial of things... downpipes, silencer, heated grips, front mudguard extender etc., despite declaring the bike's total value as less than the excess.
My current cover is from Zenith. When the documentation came through I found the small print insists on their being told of any accident within one hour of the event. Seems like a good get-out clause if you're more concerned about vehicle recovery, injuries, getting to your destination etc., and don't remember to call them in time.
Has anyone else noticed their insurer imposing that sort of condition? (Just wondering if it's an industry-wide thing now.)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2015, 02:59:10 pm »
So as well as ICE on your phone you need one that your paramedic uses to call your insurance company inbetween a bit of CPR
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2015, 03:11:30 pm »
when did this happen?

I'm in the same situation :b

Need to scroll through the spam filter I think,  or even call them :(
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2015, 03:20:03 pm »
So as well as ICE on your phone you need one that your paramedic uses to call your insurance company inbetween a bit of CPR
Yep. Still, it keeps the premiums low if the company doesn't have to pay out to those who are badly hurt or otherwise distracted after an "off".

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: 30 October 2015, 09:21:15 am »
 small print insists on their being told of any accident within one hour of the event. Seems like a good get-out clause if you're more concerned about vehicle recovery, injuries, getting to your destination etc., and don't remember to call them in time.

I don't think that would stand up in court as it is unreasonable.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #20 on: 02 November 2015, 01:36:23 am »
I found the small print insists on their being told of any accident within one hour of the event. Seems like a good get-out clause ow.)

If they tried that one on me, I'd tell them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine and point them at the Unfair Contract Terms Act which states:

4 Unreasonable indemnity clauses.

(1) A person dealing as consumer cannot by reference to any contract term be made to indemnify another person (whether a party to the contract or not) in respect of liability that may be incurred by the other for negligence or breach of contract, except in so far as the contract term satisfies the requirement of reasonableness.

I doubt you'd find anyone (who isn't an insurer) who'd agree that that one hour window was "reasonable"!

the cueball

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - zx12r, H2, RC51, MT09, Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 November 2015, 10:15:44 am »
I've just phoned MCE and the girl on the phone has no idea what I'm going on about...she maintains that all modifications must be declared.

:rollin

this isn't unusual for MCE mind you, the last time I was on hold, their message stated that people no longer needed to inform them if using the bike abroad.... as I was about to leave on a trip, I double checked with the person I spoke to, and they claimed they had no idea what the message was all about and had never heard that before...  :eek :eek