Date: 27-04-24  Time: 04:24 am

Author Topic: Headlight not working  (Read 10728 times)

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Headlight not working
« on: 09 September 2014, 11:19:13 am »
There was a thread similar to this here, but I can't find it now... guess I am starting to lose my interwebz skillz!

My poor and long suffering Fazer's headlight hasn't been too well since my minor accident some two years ago. But it was never a problem as it was stuck ON. I always leave it on on road anyway, so it suited me. However, after I did the engine coolant flush last month, the headlights behaved differently for a day - that is I could turn it off and on as I please - and then a day later it broke again and this time it on the OFF setting. This was almost okay as the days were bright and long, but now that it's starting to change... I really should get this fixed.

So the symptoms are that the main/dip beams are not coming on. Side lights can be turned on and off. Rest of the lights are all working. I can flash the headlight using the "pass" button on the left hand control, so the bulbs are fine too. Yesterday I opened the right hand switch gear and predictably it was pretty grim in there. So I tried cleaning it with some WD40 and some brake cleaner (probably not my brightest moment - in my defense, I was very very jet-lagged). Anyway, it didn't help.

Could this be that '5-pin relay' thing that was mentioned in the other thread? Or should I try changing the right hand switch gear first (easier to get than the relay).

Thanks a million!

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight not working
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2014, 11:38:31 am »
Check back through my posts for the thread posi, I had it up a while ago.

My problem - which had the exact same symptoms as you - was down to a faulty relay. If you want I can try meet up with you so you can plug mine into yours and see if it fixes it for you (i'm almost 100% positive it would)

I got a replacement relay from City Spares for a tenner I think it was, not the exact same relay but one that did the job.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2014, 05:04:45 pm »
Thanks a million redthunder, I found that thread:

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,6986.0

We might have to meet up! Meanwhile, what is that relay yoke called, is it the 'flasher relay', 'ignition coil relay' or 'main relay'? There are dozens of 'flasher relays' on eBay, but very few 'main relays'. Actually I have only found one so far, and that's from an 99 model, and 16 pin.

Would any/generic 12v "5-pin relay" do the job?

Thanks!

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2014, 07:19:36 pm »
Where exactly do you think the relay for headlights is... For the lighting system .  I don't believe a relay is used in lighting, save the indicators such us the flasher relay r/h side of bike. This relay had nothing to do with main headlights.

Sound more like water ingress to me... Or wiring/loom. The switches and looms for lighting are easy to test. See page 8-29 of the shop manual, downloadable from this site.
Three lefts make a right

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2014, 08:19:09 pm »
I would be looking under the tank to see if you disturbed anything whilst changing the coolant , the manual has instructions on testing the headlight relay and headlight switch , you will need a multi meter and a suitable jumper leads .

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2014, 08:41:02 pm »
tweetytek, all I know about bikes can be written into the back of a matchbox, with plenty of space left... I picked up something about 'relay' from the other thread I mentioned (link in my previous post). I "gathered" that there is some sort of 'relay' that sits helps bring together the dim/high switch and the headlight on/off switch.

Thanks for the pointers to the manual - I will have a look thru the manual. I have a multi meter, not sure about 'suitable jump leads', I am sure I could fashion something with a piece of wire... Thanks again.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2014, 08:56:00 pm »
Where exactly do you think the relay for headlights is... For the lighting system .  I don't believe a relay is used in lighting, save the indicators such us the flasher relay r/h side of bike. This relay had nothing to do with main headlights.

You are right for the 1998-2001 box-eye 600 but for the 2002-2003 fox-eye there are two relays used in the lighting system.

Positron. Assuming yours is a fox-eye. When you press the pass button (I don't know why they call it that?) you are by-passing the relays, so the problem could well be as you suspect with one of those relays. But it could equally be you are not getting power down the Blue/Black wire that goes from the light switch to the "four pin" headlight relay.  The five pin relay controls between dip or main beam and comes after the headlight relay in the power circuit. If you are getting power to the Black/Blue wire at the five pin terminal then the four pin relay is working o.k. All gleaned from the wiring diagram so I hope it makes sense and helps.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2014, 01:22:33 am »
Above he said his model was '99 I think?
Edit: just seen the bike on his profile..03... Sorry
« Last Edit: 10 September 2014, 10:04:39 am by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2014, 09:28:32 am »
Its an 03 foxeye model. So I will follow thru the manual PDF and will try and diagnose what's up. Good to hear it could be the four pin relay, I think that's easier to find than the five pin one.

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2014, 11:55:57 am »
The relay I had the problem with was just behind the clocks, remove the windshield and you have full access.

Just to note these are the exact same symptoms I had with mine - fox eye and all to boot.

I have a hat here and if your problem isn't fixed by replacing the relay I will eat it.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2014, 03:31:07 pm »
LOL, now that is confidence! :)

So after changing the oil & filter (first time ever..) I had a look thru all the fuses, box under tank and removed the screen and behind the clocks etc. Fuses looks okay. Cleaned everything a bit, but still no joy. There is only one relay yoke behind the headlight and it says:

OMRON
G8H-1C4T-D
12V DC
MADE IN JAPAN
1192D6

There's guy locally taking apart and selling a '98 FZS600 and he has this yoke, except it says:

OMRON
G8H-1C4T-D
12V DC
MADE IN JAPAN
10Y9D6

Same part number, so it should be okay right? I will try swapping out for that, if that doesn't work, I might take you up on that offer redthunder.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2014, 05:50:58 pm »
Quick correction! There is one more relay thingee behind the clock (two in total), and this smaller one has no part number on it, but it has a hole in it from being pushed into the back of the clock when I had the little bump. So that's probably the broken relay? I haven't figured out how to test these with a multimeter, so that's next.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2014, 05:51:31 pm by positron »

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2014, 06:05:35 pm »
Using jumper leads and putting voltage across the coil , if its working you should then have  continuity across the other terminals .

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2014, 09:22:33 am »
So these are the two relay yokes I found between the screen and clock.

First one. I don't know if this faulty, but just saying I can source a replacement fairly quickly if I needed to.

Second one.

This one appears to have a crack or something - so this is probably the faulty one. There is no part number or any details on this one, so I am not sure what this is and how to go about sourcing it.

RedThunder, did you change the first one or second to fix the issue?

Thanks a million!

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2014, 01:09:56 pm »
mate, both relays protect the switch gear. One relay controls main beam, the other dip/dimmer beam. You will know which relay controls which by looking at the wiring colour - or easier , by examining which beam isnt working  ;)  I dont have a Gen2 currently but I understand there is a dimmer switch on the left bar? Take out one of the relays and operate the dimmer switch. If there is no change to lighting then you have pulled out the dip/dimmer relay and by elimination the other relay must control high beam.
I did a mod for a guy using Gen2 harness on a Gen1 bike. I used two relays - the same - from Maplin. £3.50 each.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-40a-dc-spno-automotive-relay-n02aw
both yours  should use the same TYPE of relay. The above is not OEM but will work based on Volts/Amps draw and terminal connection type. Like I said, worked on my bike.
Hope this helps

EDIT: Check the relays for 4 or 5 terminals? I remember that one of them - I think  - had 5 terminals [the dimmer] on the OEM Gen2 whereas the other relay had 4 terminals [as per the Maplin unit] . The 5 pin  will require a different relay. Sorry for the confusion. I'll do some digging for a suitable alternative relay if its the 5 pin one you need ... let me know
« Last Edit: 15 September 2014, 01:37:07 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2014, 02:33:59 pm »
Thanks a million tweetytek, great help!

Yes, it's a FZS600 2002-03 fox eye, the dimmer switch on the left hand controls, and main off/side/on switch on right hand controls.

The headlight doesn't come on unless I  used the 'pass button' on the left. So would removing the relay tell me something? It might I suppose - I will try removing the second one (of the pictures above) and see if the lights come on high-beam or otherwise. I will report back.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2014, 08:05:29 pm »
Fixed!! Don't ask me how though!! :D

I went into have a look, tried to unplug the relay but it just wouldn't come off, tried to test it from the rear, noticed the red wire was a bit exposed, pushed it all back in, and light started working!! Just like that. Not sure if ITT was the loose contact or something else, I have wrapped it in a lot of tape and closed up everything and lights working perfectly now. :)

Well, its still throwing the light to somewhere up left into the sky, but at least I  more visible now. Alignment next.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 September 2014, 08:13:27 pm »
Cool.
I wss going to suggest spraying contact cleaner on the terminals and using self amalgamating tape to wrap it up in. Both can be bought from a local autospares shop. The amalgamating tape needs to be stretched and wrapped in an overlapping spiral to get best effect.
Three lefts make a right

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2014, 05:35:44 pm »
I have self amalgamating tape left over from earlier - didn't think of it. Sure it's tucked well behind the screen and clocks, hopefully will stay dry until I get to it next time!

Thanks again!

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2014, 05:50:25 pm »
I have self amalgamating tape left over from earlier - didn't think of it. Sure it's tucked well behind the screen and clocks, hopefully will stay dry until I get to it next time!

Thanks again!
Congrats.
Three lefts make a right