Date: 28-04-24  Time: 00:33 am

Author Topic: Uk Euro headlight First Gen Fzs  (Read 3602 times)

thom_1991

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Uk Euro headlight First Gen Fzs
« on: 20 January 2012, 07:01:05 pm »
Right can anyone tell me how to identify a Uk spec from a euro spec headlight unit on the early shape Fzs600. Is the difference only in the reflectors inside or are the bulbs at different sides?

On main beam mine lights up the rh/side of the road as opposed to going off to the left as it should. Run the chassis number through at a Yamaha dealers and apparently it's a Norwegian bike. Bought a headlight unit checked with the seller it's from a uk bike which i was told it is. Looked today and i can't see any different markings from the one in my bike at the moment, the bulbs are the same way around although the right hand bulb on mine says Germany at it's base where the voltage and wattage is printed and the new one says France. The one marking i haven't found is the part number given in the part's catalogue i downloaded from here. Every other component in the headlight has only part number except the whole unit which has number 5DM-84310-00-00 or 5DM-84310-10-00. Help!

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Uk Euro headlight First Gen Fzs
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2012, 09:23:56 pm »
The reflector units are different. The major difference is in the shroud that covers the left hand (dip) H1 bulb. Its the shape of the cut-outs in that shroud that form the diagonal line between light and dark that is "up at the right" on imports and "up at the left" on UK bikes.

I think the actual silver reflector pattern is also different - but I'm not absolutely sure.

The "country of origin" mark on the bulbs is irrelevant.

Basically- if you light up the left hand H1 and it makes an obvious diagonal that is "up at the right" - you have an import module.

I'm pretty sure that the 5DM-84310-00-00  is the continental (majority) version and 5DM-84310-10-00 is the UK (minority) version but without taking my bike apart, I can't tell. My bike is French, BTW - it has an "outrageous accent"  :) 

Beware ... dealers can lie to you ... they lied to me

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2012, 09:33:30 pm »
I just found the shroud that I extracted from my "up at the right" headlight module.
Last time I tried pics on here I screwed up - so I'll use words.

There are 2 cutouts in the shroud. 1 each side.
If you look into the headlight as if you were standing in front of the bike a "non UK" shroud has cut-outs at both sides that taper to a point on an anti-clockwise direction

In the clockwise direction. One cutout ends as a rectangle and the other tapers but not very much.

I amagine that the UK version is a mirror image of that.

thom_1991

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2012, 12:45:09 pm »
Thanks very much will have a look on Monday.

thom_1991

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2012, 02:09:49 pm »
Right should you be able to get the front glass lenses off away from the unit or did you have to tear it apart to remove the shroud? From what i can see the shroud i have on my new apparently "uk" one is the same as the current one and also when plugged in it lights up the right hand side so i'm pretty sure it's also an import unit.

Also the numbers on the back for Housing "PP-T20",  reflector "UP-M60-GF20" and Lens "PC" are the same between the two units. If anyone has a uk unit could you let me know if these numbers (on the back in the middle between the two rubber bulb holders visible when your sat as you would riding the bike) are the same i'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2012, 10:44:56 pm »
I'm not suggesting you should take the shroud out (it could fail an MOT without the shroud - not sure abut that).
(If you DO want to take the shorud out then you need to get it loose by unbending the tabs and then shake it free and then extract it through the large opening for the H4 bulb on the right hand side... you will never get it back in place unless you split the headlight unit - and that is a whole other subject involving an oven at 80C and a screwdriver! :'( .)

If you stand in front of the bike and look into the headlamp unit the cut-outs will taper to a point in an anti-clockwise direction on an import unit.

As said - the acid test is if it makes an obvious 'up at the right' beam pattern.