Date: 01-05-24  Time: 12:44 pm

Author Topic: Tachometer jumps to 5K, couldn't find any info on error  (Read 19310 times)

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Tachometer jumps to 5K, couldn't find any info on error
« Reply #25 on: 03 August 2014, 12:23:58 pm »
OK.

access the ignitor unit. Its under the rear cowling so you will need to take this off. Take off grab bars. (4 allen bolts). Take off cowling note the screws under the cowling (metal and those plastic type things) underneath on both sides of the cowling. The ignitor unit has several plugs (harness) going into it; one harness has three wires of colour: BLUE, YELLOW, BLACK/BLUE . Remove that harness. Remove the TPS harness  at the TPS sensor end (you've already done that if you have followed my instruction above). TPS Harness has the same colours. You now have two harnesses in your hand which are both ends of the TPS lead (one from TPS, one into Ignitor) Using the meter in CONTINUITY mode, check for continuity across all three wires. ie. touch BLUE on one harness end, touch BLUE on the other harness. "BEEP" ?? If three BEEPS (three colours) come back. If not then check your wiring for breaks/faults - which will be a nightmare as you will need to remove the TPS wiring from the bike so that you are holding these two harnesses on a workbench as one single end to end cable.

If you get three BEEPS, come back - wiring is good and the fault is likely to be the TPS unit which we can check simply and replace simply

As you own a fluke I'm presuming you are not a novice in electrics so am I ok to dispense with the electrical dumbing down - so as not to unduly patronise you and make this post much simpler  :b

I see one unit with two harnesses coming into it, is it this one?:

EDIT: Could it be that this TPS is not original?:
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 12:43:02 pm by arieljt »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 August 2014, 01:02:11 pm »
That is it.
Yes is is a standard TPS, it is made by Mikuni

Do you have the security torx to open the bolts on the TPS.

The yamaha service  manual has a section on the TPS, but needs to be searched  using Throttle position system and is on pages 6-10 and 6-11. It also explains how to test it off and on the bike.

I would be surprised if the ECU or Ignitor as Yamaha call it is faulty since they are extremely reliable and rarely fail.

keratos

« Reply #27 on: 03 August 2014, 01:06:06 pm »
Just picking this up on my phone now...
That IS your ICU (although there should be more than two harnesses going into it. Never mind. And that IS your TPS. Good. Right... There are Three colours coming out of the harness from the TPS. Look for a harness going into the ICU with same three colours... Then run the tests I gave above
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 01:08:12 pm by keratos »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 August 2014, 01:08:48 pm »
Just a minor point , an ECU = Electronic Control Unit as far as my electronic engineering MSc went - also referred to as ECM (Electronic Control Module) which are typically multifunctional and manage various logic circuits associated with automotive applications - new vehicles ECU are quite advanced and include all sorts of applications from tyre pressure to advanced driving modes. However this subject Fazer unit is - as I observe the simple wiring diagram - only preoccupied with the service of the ignition system so technically is an ICU (Ignition control unit) although yamaha termed it a Ignitor. Very minor point not changing the diagnostic for arieljt

Does the Acronym ECU also stands for Engine control Unit :lol

keratos

« Reply #29 on: 03 August 2014, 01:11:29 pm »
Possibly. Who knows. All I can deduce from the wiring diagram is that the subject unit I refer to as an ICU -ignition control unit-is only controlling ignition. Not the engine perse, not the other electronics, nothing else bar ignition
For example, an ECU on a given vehicle might control alarm,immobilser, instrumentation, RPM, braking, auto transmission, warnings, speed (limp mode)  Etc etc so in that context... not limited to engine only, hence Electronic Control Unit / module.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 01:27:34 pm by keratos »

keratos

« Reply #30 on: 03 August 2014, 02:07:20 pm »
I'm looking at the pics...

Could  it be that your TPS color leads are as follows

BLUE = your green
YELLOW = YOUR YELLOW
BLACK/BLUE = your white red

Lke I said ... check at the TPS end and at ICU end. Three colours will be the same at both ends... Then run the tests I gave advice on
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 02:10:14 pm by keratos »

keratos

« Reply #31 on: 03 August 2014, 02:19:59 pm »
+1 for the correct term ...'Acronymn' rather than using 'abbreviation' ... Perfect grammar !
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 02:21:13 pm by keratos »

keratos

« Reply #32 on: 03 August 2014, 09:37:02 pm »
so how is the testing going ??? is it a case of no news = good news

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 August 2014, 10:06:02 pm »
+1 for the correct term ...'Acronymn' rather than using 'abbreviation' ... Perfect grammar !

What else would you expect from an ex college lecturer of Management Information Systems  :rolleyes :)

keratos

« Reply #34 on: 03 August 2014, 10:34:48 pm »
 geek!  :book :sun
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 10:59:12 pm by keratos »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 August 2014, 10:52:39 pm »
Welcome to the club :lol

keratos

« Reply #36 on: 03 August 2014, 10:58:28 pm »
Welcome to the club :lol
I inserted some smileys into the last post but they didnt appear so the "geek" hopefully wasnt taken out of context. smileys reinserted
so we have student and lecturer - although admittedly 'twas a long time since I left uni  :deal
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 10:59:33 pm by keratos »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03 August 2014, 11:01:43 pm »
 :lol

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 04 August 2014, 09:24:52 am »
so how is the testing going ??? is it a case of no news = good news

I wish  :rolleyes and no, I wouldn't disappear like that  :)
I just tested the continuity and the cables are good. Even if i move them around there is no problem with them.
Now, for the resistance, I didn't understand where do I test it, can someone please clarify?

btw, you guys rock! thank you all for helping  :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 August 2014, 09:36:49 am »
Have you downloaded the service manual from here? Yamaha FZS600 1998 Service Manual 5dm1-ae1

Go to page 6-10 and follow the tests with the TPS on the bike.

Let us know the results

keratos

« Reply #40 on: 04 August 2014, 10:06:52 am »
I don't think the manual is going to help. The wiring colour codes are different.
See my post above.
Arieljt... Please read the posts before replying !

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04 August 2014, 10:36:01 am »
I didn't see you edited it, sorry for that.
I followed your guide and the manual now and its seems that the TPS unit is faulty, the resistance is 20-26 M ohm and it's the same between the black-blue and the black-yellow. I tested numerous times and even tested my fluke multimeter with simple resistors just to make sure its not the fluke fault.
Could it be that it's the TPS? because if I leave it disconnected and start ignition the tachometer still does the same thing as in the video i posted.

Now i'm wondering if I should buy a new TPS unit? (where in Germany?) or I should go to a bike service garage? (and possible have them overcharge and lie to me)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04 August 2014, 11:07:40 am »
I didn't see you edited it, sorry for that.
I followed your guide and the manual now and its seems that the TPS unit is faulty, the resistance is 20-26 M ohm and it's the same between the black-blue and the black-yellow. I tested numerous times and even tested my fluke multimeter with simple resistors just to make sure its not the fluke fault.
Could it be that it's the TPS? because if I leave it disconnected and start ignition the tachometer still does the same thing as in the video i posted.

Now i'm wondering if I should buy a new TPS unit? (where in Germany?) or I should go to a bike service garage? (and possible have them overcharge and lie to me)

Where does the needle go when you unplug the TPS with the ignition switched on (not with engine running)?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04 August 2014, 11:12:36 am »
Is this correct?

With everything plugged in and you turn on the ignition switch the rev counter goes to 5000 and then slowly returns to 0?
With the TPS disconnected it does the same thing?

With everything connected, Start the engine and leave it running for 5 minutes. What happens with the rev counter?

Post the result/s as it could be an issue with the clocks?????

Just to satisfy me and to absolutely sure you are performing the test correctly.

1. Disconnect the TPS
2. Attach the meter leads to the 2 outer pins of the TPS unit on the Carburettor? What is the reading?
3. Now Attach the meter to the lower and centre pins of the TPS. What is the reading?
4. Now with the meter still attached to the lower pin and middle pin, twist the throttle slowly to fully throttle. What is the result on the meter as you twist the throttle and when it is at full throttle?

keratos

« Reply #44 on: 04 August 2014, 12:47:24 pm »
ditto unfazed - indeed, thats what I said isnt it?

anyway, if he's reading 20 MEGA (note the M guys in his post above) - 20Mohms - then this is way way way out; the system will behave as if there is no TPS which will give the results he is observing on the tacho.  not sure it is a clocks issue? the behaviour is as expected according to the measurements he has provided.

Replace TPS - £20-30

« Last Edit: 04 August 2014, 12:51:15 pm by keratos »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 04 August 2014, 02:58:43 pm »
Yes, but you did not put a simply as I did :lol

I am just using simply logic, since we cannot see what Arieljt is doing it is important to double check what he tested to be sure rather than assuming, jumping to conclusions and misdiagnosis. :) I am surprised to think that you would not to do this :pokefun

Out of curiosity, how did you conclude from a photograph that the wiring colour codes were different?
The smaller plug has the wire to power via fuse, earth, ignition coils and the speedo reference. The larger obscured plug in the photograph has the wires to the TPS, Rev counter, pick up coil, starter cut out relay and alarm system.

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04 August 2014, 04:12:11 pm »
Where does the needle go when you unplug the TPS with the ignition switched on (not with engine running)?

It doesn't change a thing if the TPS is connected or not, still moves from 0-5K.
With everything plugged in and you turn on the ignition switch the rev counter goes to 5000 and then slowly returns to 0? Yes
With the TPS disconnected it does the same thing? Yes

With everything connected, Start the engine and leave it running for 5 minutes. What happens with the rev counter? Only 0-5K as always

Post the result/s as it could be an issue with the clocks????? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the TPS is faulty

Just to satisfy me and to absolutely sure you are performing the test correctly.

1. Disconnect the TPS - Check
2. Attach the meter leads to the 2 outer pins of the TPS unit on the Carburettor? What is the reading? Around 20Mohm - 26Mohm
3. Now Attach the meter to the lower and centre pins of the TPS. What is the reading? 23Mohm
4. Now with the meter still attached to the lower pin and middle pin, twist the throttle slowly to fully throttle. What is the result on the meter as you twist the throttle and when it is at full throttle?  It reacts to the throttle twist and it moves from ~23Mohm to 1.5 Kohm

I just got back from a Yamaha garage, told them about the 0-5K and they say they are not sure what it is. They set me an appointment for the 14th of August for 25Minutes (lol so precise Germans) of testing of the electrical system and the TPS. They are pretty damn expensive so I would like to buy the TPS myself - Original and give it to them to install, Can someone please link me to a original yamaha TPS for my fazer 600 99'? looked over ebay with no success.. 

I also called they guy that sold me the bike to tell him about my adventure and he was very unpleasant and told me that it's 100% my problem.

Once again, you guys rock, thank you all so much for helping out.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04 August 2014, 05:08:39 pm »
If the TPS is unplugged it will show 3000rpm, which would suggest the TPS is not the problem.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

keratos

« Reply #48 on: 04 August 2014, 05:10:23 pm »
 Replace TPS . there are many sources, bit sure about Germany but most eruo parts suppliers ship to DE.

keratos

« Reply #49 on: 04 August 2014, 05:15:00 pm »
If the TPS is unplugged it will show 3000rpm, which would suggest the TPS is not the problem.
Not if the system is in setup mode.. Or the fault characterises a setup mode loop circuit. Of his readings.. I say replace TPS. end. Can't add any more. Not interested in a flameout so,  arieljt.... REPLACE TPS .end of. Not entering into argumentitve dispute so good luck
« Last Edit: 04 August 2014, 05:17:20 pm by keratos »