Date: 19-04-24  Time: 23:04 pm

Author Topic: Gen 1 Fazer Electrical problem.  (Read 7646 times)

TrevorBaker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 Fazer Electrical problem.
« on: 03 May 2014, 12:41:30 pm »
2003 FZS1000S Fazer. 33,000 miles. I’ve had it since April 2005 at 6000 miles.
I have an electrical problem. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced what I’m going through and can offer some advice.
I fitted a SW Motech rear rack and pannier side brackets. In the course of moving the rear indicators I decided to cut the earth connection inside the light fittings. Once re-soldered, I tried the indicators and it blew the fuse. After I fixed the problem I then replaced the fuse.
BUT then the ignition would not turn OFF. Neutral, oil light and clock all ON. With the switch off and the key out of the lock. Eventually I found that if I disconnected the 4 pin plug to the starter solenoid that turned everything off. I plugged a spare ignition / steering lock into both pin connectors, it was just the same. Removed the starter solenoid, gave it a few bangs on the side. (Although if that were stuck, it would cause the starter to operate constantly). Just the same. Removed pin plugs from just about everything I could. Just the same. Removed plug from relay behind left side cover, just the same. Next day the same thing, but after some more checking, it started operating correctly. I don’t know exactly what, if anything, that I did, or touched, that caused it to start working again. Then I tried resetting the time on the clock. When ignition is turned off it goes back to 01:00AM. So the clocks have now lost their permanent live supply. Clock is not a great problem, but it means trip odometers will reset every time.
Any thoughts and help will be much appreciated.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: Gen 1 Fazer Electrical problem.
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2014, 02:32:17 pm »
I'd start with checking the wiring that you moved or cut when you fitted the rack. If the bike was okay before then and it's now playing up after the rack was fitted then you've probably done something wrong along the line.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2014, 06:53:38 pm »
You've Donald Ducked it  :\
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

TrevorBaker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2014, 10:32:32 pm »
I'd start with checking the wiring that you moved or cut when you fitted the rack. If the bike was okay before then and it's now playing up after the rack was fitted then you've probably done something wrong along the line.

Many thanks for the reply. There are 5 wires going to the rear light cluster. One is the earth, one right indicator, one left indicator one tail lamp and one brake lamp. Now which one of those do you think is affecting the ignition circuit? Which one should I check first? Maybe I’ve crimped the earth somewhere.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2014, 10:33:58 pm by TrevorBaker »

g5guzzi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cbf 1000fa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2014, 12:06:48 am »
Does any of the wires you altered connect some how to the ecu.If they do you may have damaged it .Dose'nt take much to do this.If the problem persists I have an old ecu from an 03 bike which is ok except for the part which turns the lights on.You are  welcome to it if it may help you sort your problem.The numbers on the ecu have to be a match.The one I have is 5lv-82305-40.   131800-8310.   12v   tndf71     denso.I do hope it is not this but if you accidently put a live feed down an earth near  the ecu it may share the same earth and get damaged.Some vehciles store the oddometer readings in the ecu.
malc

TrevorBaker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2014, 04:47:47 pm »
Malc.
That’s very interesting about backfeed to the ECU through the earth. I did cut the earth wires in the indicator fittings, then I re-soldered them. When refitting it blew the fuse because the supply wire was skewed and touching the earth washer at the back of the lamp holder.
Thanks for the offer of the ECUnit. I have just checked mine and the numbers match. So did you change this one because the lights did not come on? I have bought a right side handlebar switch unit from the earlier model which I wanted to fit so I could turn the lights off. But it's a lot more complicated than that.
I would be most grateful if you would send the ECU to me. I will of course pay for the postage and whatever you want for the unit.

Trevor

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2014, 08:46:18 pm »
BUT then the ignition would not turn OFF. Neutral, oil light and clock all ON. With the switch off and the key out of the lock. Eventually I found that if I disconnected the 4 pin plug to the starter solenoid that turned everything off. I plugged a spare ignition / steering lock into both pin connectors, it was just the same.
Sounds like you somehow managed to wire a  permanent live supply to something or somewhere that don't meant to have a permanent live feed,
« Last Edit: 04 May 2014, 08:50:15 pm by chaparral02 »
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

g5guzzi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cbf 1000fa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2014, 09:33:43 pm »
Have sent you my phone numbers by pm.
malc

characticus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2014, 11:10:35 am »
Check if the "backup" fuse has now blown, hence loss of permanent live feed which makes the "constant on" problem disappear but with loss of memory for clock/odometer. If it has you might find replacing it reinstates the "constant on" problem.

TrevorBaker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2014, 10:51:21 pm »
Malc has been extremely helpful. He very kindly sent me a spare ‘ignition module’ that he had. Unfortunately that hasn’t cured my problem. Malc also suggested that I check the ‘Back-up’ fuse. If this is gone he thinks I may have blown my PCB in the instrument panel. I checked the fuse, that had blown, but on stripping the instruments, I cannot see any burning, or anything untoward.
Replacing this ‘Back-up’ 10 amp fuse causes the instruments to light up, without any key in the lock. It also powers up the main relay, I can hear it click. If I remove this fuse, (and although I haven’t ridden it yet), the bike starts and revs as normal. The lights, indicators and horn work OK. Everything seems OK. The cooling fan even starts after a few minutes of running, as it should.

So just exactly what is this ‘Back-up’ circuit for? Can I safely ride the bike without it? I know my trip odometers and the clock will not retain their values, BUT is there anything else that I should worry about?

characticus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2014, 09:18:14 am »
Backup fuse provides permanent live supply to the clocks. You have a short between that and the switched live supply somewhere. When key is off and instruments light up the supply is feeding through that fuse. As its passing more current than intended it blows. Does the bike have an alarm? The feed from this fuse runs to the alarm connector under the seat and to the clocks. If you have an alarm plugged into the connector under the seat unplug it. If problem still there disconnect the clocks (6 way plug). You should be able to isolate the fault in one of these two.

Ian

TrevorBaker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2014, 01:27:01 pm »
I tried unplugging the instruments, but I can still hear the main relay energising when that 10 amp fuse is re-connected. I bought a second hand instrument pod from eBay and I will be able to plug that in to check, but like I say, with the plug removed from the instruments, the relay latches. The bike did have a Meta alarm which I personally removed about 8 years ago. It has been no trouble since, BUT it may be possible that I have disturbed something under the rear seat cowl. I'm waiting for a pair of Givi wingrack2's to arrive. With the SW Motech racks the thing is so bloody wide. I'm hoping to mount these wingracks much tighter in and further forward as I won't be carrying a passenger. When I fit these I'll have the cowl off and the chance to check thing out.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2014, 08:24:58 pm by TrevorBaker »

TrevorBaker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2014, 10:11:51 am »
Following on from my Back-Up Fuse and permanent Instrument Live problem.
The set of clocks arrived from eBay. I plugged them in and they were live constantly as same as the original ones.
I took the rear cowl off, disconnected the multi pin to the rear lamp unit; that made no difference. So I decided I was going to tidy up the wiring that was left from removing the META alarm some 8 years ago. At that time I just crimp connected a few wires and it’s been running fine for over 24,000 miles. Picking these crimped wires, I cut one at a time and checked if things worked. After cutting a link from Brown to a red green (I think) and re-seating my 10 amp fuse; no instruments came on and the bike started fine. Checked all I could think of and all seemed OK. Re-set clock, and it retained correct time when ignition turned off, so there is a feed to the clocks.
So I tidied up the harness, replaced it as it should be. I have to get it Mot’d next week, beginning of June, so when it’s running I will check all again.
I really don’t know what I did but now it seems OK!
Now this lot has been like this, as I say, for a least 8 years, and it gives me all this grief when I accidently short out the earth to the rear indicators!