Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Mt 10
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2016, 04:49:43 pm »
Rumour is they WILL make a mt10 fazor or what ever they now call the faired versions

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2016, 07:10:37 pm »
According to last week's MCN the parts to create a Tracer equivalent are already on the options list.

It's pretty near the top of my shopping list when/if my mrs gets back to work!
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2016, 08:06:08 pm »
Test rode the mt 10 today.
1 word.
WOW

c'mon, give us more than this...How did it handle, what was the power like, was it snatchy at all, did it feel light ?.......so many questions

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2016, 08:19:02 pm »
Full road test in this months Bike magazine.

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2016, 04:48:27 pm »
Test rode the mt 10 today.
1 word.
WOW

c'mon, give us more than this...How did it handle, what was the power like, was it snatchy at all, did it feel light ?.......so many questions

The suspense .... Would be nice to know how it compares to a Fazer thou and to know if it is £10k's worth.

I looked at one in Swindon today and it looks a really nice bit of kit. If it was a tracer version at that price, i'd have thrown my wallet at him and camped there until it arrived  :)

Yogi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2016, 06:11:11 pm »
She will be mine. 🏍🏍🏍🏍

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2016, 08:40:33 pm »
Yup. I'll be getting one. Not this year (never buy version 1 of anything!) but I will get one. The press reports are pretty ecstatic and at 10k, it's a great buy.

In fact, wasn't the FZS 1000 £8200 back in 2001? So, in 15 years, Yamaha have only added £1800 quid to their top of the range naked bike. That's quite something.

I've been waiting for this bike for years because I like bent engines (V twins and especially V4s) for the perfect primary balance and engine note but they're usually more expensive than straight fours and a twat to work on, but with a cross plane crank, you get the best of both worlds. Cheap and characterful. I'd have bought a cross plane R1 but I can't tolerate the ultra sporty riding position these days. Too fat!

I'm a bit baffled at the claimed top speed though. 153mph. I know it's not a big deal, but doesn't the FZS do 155... ? I saw 170 on the clock chasing 12 Ferraris past Modena in Italy once... man, that was a fabulous day. I saw them coming up behind me at speed and watched as 355s, 550 Maranellos and a couple of 458s came past, so I pulled out and nailed it, looked in the mirrors and there was another half dozen Ferraris behind... I was sat in a very expensive queue and once past 150 fully loaded with luggage, the old girl started a gentle weave, but I kept it pinned...

Ahh.... summer holidays. I can recommend the hotel opposite the Ferrari factory gates, if anyone's interested. They do a mean steak in balsamic vinegar sauce and Modena's a very pretty town...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2016, 06:38:40 pm »
Could the decreased top speed be down to the MT10 not having a front fairing in comparison to the old FZS?

Or maybe that they have had to re tune the R1 lump so much for the lower down grunt that theyve lost the top speed?

I approve that the MT10 & the Tracer are so popular..........makes it more likely i'll some day get my mitts on an original MT09
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2016, 07:59:33 pm »
It might be the aerodynamics, Noggy, but the gearing and revs probably set it too.

It's interesting to note that the stroke is the same as the R1 50.9mm which means it's max piston speed is very conservative (20.4 metres per second @ 12000rpm versus 22.2 m/s @ 11500 for the FZS. The R1 is 23.8 which still isn't that fast).

It could certainly rev much higher if Yamaha needed it to but being Yamaha they've made it into a road bike and brought the power and torque lower down in the rev range

That is exactly what they did with the FZS, heavier crank, different valve timing, less revs and by the press reports a much more road oriented chassis than the Aprilia Tuono 1100 or the Super Duke.

It is the new FZS1000 if you ask me. I might buy some Fazer decals for mine when I buy one!

The other interesting thing in the press reports is how Yamaha have managed to give the rider enough wind protection for motorway speeds. The Tuono I test rode was atrocious at 80mph which is a proper naked bike, but the MT-07 was really not bad at all at that speed and it's even smaller. I remember being amazed by the FZS at how the radiator guards were as good as the full fairing on my old ZX9-R for keeping the wind off my legs, too.

Yamaha have some cunning aerodynamicists working for them.

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2016, 11:00:44 pm »
Worth every penny.
The acceleration is phenomenal. Difficult to keep front wheel down. But I like that

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2016, 11:02:08 pm »
Nath no fazer version  but there are enough genuine accessories to almost make your own

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2016, 05:29:26 pm »
I love the idea but it looks a bit transformer ish to me, I would have a tracer if I had the dough.
I love twins , triples too. it will be a great engine its just the looks, dunno maybe it will grow on me.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2016, 10:37:50 pm »
Yeah, the looks are a bit....

It's over-designed. Everything is a million and one shapes. Look at the tank, does it really need so many angles and shapes and bits of plastic? Look at the footpegs on the exhaust side, there are 8 bolts and rivets. And why are there two separate lumps of plastic bolted onto the exhaust system? The radiator has triangular shrouds and yet there are side pods bolted to the side of the engine as well. The back of the bike has two parallelogram shapes and a wedge. It's all a bit too much. I'm sure CAD programs make it much easier to over-design, maybe they just went nuts because they could.

It's very manga. Which explains this...

What a hoot eh? Your bike's very own cartoon series.

I think the biggest problem with the design is with how difficult it will be to keep all those shapes, nooks and crannies clean. I had a very good look at it in the shop the other day, and my god, it's going to be a toothbrush job every time you clean the engine. There a hundred tiny little spaces between all the pipes, cables and engine parts.

Anyway, the design won't put me off buying one cos let's face it, it isn't ugly like the VFR 1200, one of the most hideous bikes every built, and I like the ultra technical look of it, even if it's not beautiful like a Ducati or an early R1.

All I need are a set of leathers with LED running lights.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2016, 12:15:30 am »
First time I saw the MT-09 I thought what an ugly fecking bike, I had an 09 FZ1 SA and thought it looked the dogs. Now I have the 09 I love it fun fun fun. I looked at the MT10 yesterday here in France . The dealer says something to me in french and handed me the keys. Sat on it, started it up and went as far as the end of the road and brought it back. The seating and foot rest positions are not suited to my knackered knees, I could not change gear on it, shame as I really would have loved to give it the beans. Yamaha will sell shed loads, but why spend £10k on a bike when most of you have a bike that will do everything the MT10 would do if not more??
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2016, 01:08:20 pm »
Too true Lew.
I did think I might have a look, but with what I'd get for my 2 year old MT9 trading in, I'd need to put the wrong side of 5 grand down and I dont think I'd get 5 grands worth extra of bike.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 June 2016, 09:09:32 am »
I sat on one at the stealers the other day and when i gripped the tank with my knees (ooh er missus) i found very flimsy plastic not the solid metal i prefer. Its a bit tall for my stumpy legs too. Not for everyone then good news for the old bank account :) .
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 June 2016, 05:16:27 pm »
They've grown on me and more so since a test ride  8)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 June 2016, 05:42:49 pm »
When I looked at the build quality of 2009 FZ1 and look at the build quality of the MT10 & my MT-09 & MT07 there is no comparison, the MT-'s range are built to be no more than a budget bike. They will all need a lot more TLC than what my FZ1 would have needed. When I sold the FZ1 the lad that came to buy it could not get his money out quick enough it was that good.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 June 2016, 06:20:38 pm »
Good points and both very valid  :)

The way I looked at it was what can this do that my current bike can't do and although I think the MT10 is priced well in it's sector, rides very good and is quick (and thirstier), I can't really justify spending £10k with no goodies thrown in, no 0%, no discount as it's so new.   Yeah, it has better spec, tcs, abs, new and in warranty and IMO looks nice. It just hasn't given me the urge to want one enough to buy it with my sensible head on and as a cash buyer.[/size][size=78%] [/size]

I keep looking at Tracers and have seen some go for late £5k's early £6k's. Not sure overall how much different that would be for what I use my current bike. There's nothing wrong with my current one but I do get bored easily with cars, bikes, watches, phones, etc and like a change.