Date: 19-04-24  Time: 16:17 pm

Author Topic: Dilemma dilemma :(  (Read 1159 times)

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Dilemma dilemma :(
« on: 11 June 2016, 03:33:43 pm »
Our shop steward (which he was highly respected and done great things for the workforce) has decided to leave that post and join the dark side of management and worse than that he'll now be our boss!

He has worn many hats in his shop steward role, driver trainer, safety rep etc and these will need to be given up so my dilemma is do I take on these or any of these roles?

I was actually the safety rep for a couple of year's till the shop steward decided he wanted to do it as well as all the other things of which I reckon he didn't do as good a job but that might just be personal :(

Personally I don't want to do the shop steward job and we already have someone lined up for that but I feel I can make a difference on the driver training and the safety side if things.

What would be your thoughts on this?

Cheers.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma dilemma :(
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2016, 05:23:09 pm »
You will get no thanks for doing any of those roles and you will need a thick skin, I speak from experience. I am still a safety rep but it gets more pointless all the time, too many people just interested in money and overtime, they shout a lot but are never willing to take any action.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2016, 06:18:50 pm »
Generally i'd say take most any promotion - you don't when the next one will come up, inflation is a bitch and it's usually easier (and a known quantity) than moving elsewhere. Aim high, go for the most well-paid role, and don't be feel like you are doing anyone else out a job by going for someone else 'was lined up for'.

Good luck.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2016, 09:20:08 am »
:agree with both of you ^^^^

Should mention that only extra money I'll get is is about £5 a day for the driver training role, the safety rep one is basically through the union but we're all salaried so our guys aren't interested in the money/overtime scenarios.
I applied for the driver trainer role a couple of years ago but again the union rep got it, I personally think it was done that way to get him out his union role and they've now succeeded with giving him the transport manager job.

I'll phone the guy tomorrow that took the interview for that job and ask him about it, ie if it's up for grabs, do i need to reapply gain etc.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2016, 12:07:51 pm »
:agree with both of you ^^^^

Should mention that only extra money I'll get is is about £5 a day for the driver training role, the safety rep one is basically through the union but we're all salaried so our guys aren't interested in the money/overtime scenarios.
I applied for the driver trainer role a couple of years ago but again the union rep got it, I personally think it was done that way to get him out his union role and they've now succeeded with giving him the transport manager job.

I'll phone the guy tomorrow that took the interview for that job and ask him about it, ie if it's up for grabs, do i need to reapply gain etc.
All I can say is what I say to my kids who talk about taking on extra roles/responsibility but only for very little extra money is that although its for little extra pay it will be worth a lot more on your CV in the future.
You clearly want to go for it. In situations like this I always think "what would Rick Say "
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.