Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:14 pm

Author Topic: EXUP Eliminator Plug and Play any good?  (Read 1827 times)

Gaz1978

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
EXUP Eliminator Plug and Play any good?
« on: 16 June 2020, 06:22:03 pm »
Hi guys, I have just seen the following link on Ebay whilst searching for a replacement EXUP valve as mine is seized to death and wondered does this thing actually work or is it another gimmick?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263687447718

Many thanks, Gaz

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: EXUP Eliminator Plug and Play any good?
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2020, 06:26:45 pm »
Yeah I've got one of these on mine. Just means you can disconnect the servo and cables without throwing up any error codes. It tricks the ecu into thinking the ECU is still there and operating correctly.
I'm guessing you have a gen 2? As I'm pretty sure the gen 1 needs the exup to run properly

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2020, 06:53:11 pm »
lol not that ol can of worms dude! ;) ;)
Okay, I'll start the ball rolling....
Yes, a gen 1 deffo needs the exup, on my old blue one it seized open and it was gutless at lower revs...
that oughta do it.
Next!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2020, 07:39:57 pm »
Yep, necessary on a Gen 1, and not on a Gen 2.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2020, 08:44:16 pm »
At best this unit will only stop you getting 7K Tacho error codes something you can probably acheive by just disconnecting the pully cables from the EXUP valve. If your EXUP valve is seized then no electrical gizmo is going to fix this for you, you'll need to address this through mechanical / manual means. You'll need to get the valve out of the collector box and soak it in parrafin / penetating fluid and try to work the seized components free over time. If the retaining bolts are seized then you'll need to drill them out or get a workshop to do this for you, replacing the bolts with stainless items is a good bet, check the FAQ for sizes. Maybe let us know where you are with the valve so we can better help ..............

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2020, 09:42:39 pm »

I had no EXUP at all for a couple of years on my Gen 1, I just got used to it, just don't expect any power below 3K, it will pull away below that, but it is limp. Seizing open is a lot better than it seizing closed.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2020, 10:06:48 pm »
I had no EXUP at all for a couple of years on my Gen 1, I just got used to it, just don't expect any power below 3K, it will pull away below that, but it is limp. Seizing open is a lot better than it seizing closed.
It sound's like you're saying - if it's broke don't fix it, it'll perform like shit at low revs, but don't worry as you won't know any better, there are two levels of shit performance you may be lucky enough to have a less shit experience !!!

In terms of advice for a new owner I'm wandering how beneficial this is, did you get your EXUP fixed, would you reccomend getting the EXUP fixed or leaving it seized?

Given that a major part of the appeal of these bikes is the ability to pull from low revs thanks to the EXUP (Ivans kit & 4 degree advancer also help) there is no way you're experiencing the bike as it was designed if you have a non functioning EXUP. If you got the bike cheap as a hack to faff around on then sure leave it as is and get your moneys worth but there are probably better options out there.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2020, 02:14:21 am »
It sound's like you're saying - if it's broke don't fix it, it'll perform like shit at low revs, but don't worry as you won't know any better, there are two levels of shit performance you may be lucky enough to have a less shit experience !!!

In terms of advice for a new owner I'm wandering how beneficial this is, did you get your EXUP fixed, would you reccomend getting the EXUP fixed or leaving it seized?

Given that a major part of the appeal of these bikes is the ability to pull from low revs thanks to the EXUP (Ivans kit & 4 degree advancer also help) there is no way you're experiencing the bike as it was designed if you have a non functioning EXUP. If you got the bike cheap as a hack to faff around on then sure leave it as is and get your moneys worth but there are probably better options out there.

At the time I was in one of two riding modes, either just getting around, or going for it. In the first mode I didn't care about having little bottom end because I didn't really need it, I just rode around it, in the second, I spent all of the time above 6K so it didn't matter that the EXUP wasn't there. I just got used to riding around the lack of bottom end in the first mode.
I did eventually get the EXUP sorted but it was expensive, around £200 from what I remember, I know the EXUP cover plate was £145 on its own. Then £35 for the pulley, etc, etc. Please note, i'm not moaning, it is what it is.

What im saying is you just get used to it, just like riding a two stroke which has no bottom end till you hit the power. It isn't that bad, I only fixed mine because of the worry it gave in very specific circumstances, like being in a bar in Belgium, after having parked on a very cambered road with a rucksack with so many beers in it, it had to be put on my back after id mounted the bike, a couple of beers which may have been drunk were involved too. I just knew that I would have been happier if I had the confidence to open the throttle at 1500 rpm and it would just go. I had the money to fix it well before this time, but I really didn't have a good enough reason to do it.
Plus (and I know that this flies in the face of popular opinion on here) my experience of an Ivanised bike is not as good as my dynojetted bike, Ive had both. But I'm hoping that I get to have a go on someone else,s Ivanised bike so I can join in the praise of this modification. It must be good, I just think I had a not so good one (no slight on "Ivan" here, just a "slow" engine). All bikes are slightly different I know, but side by side, my dynojetted bike had more grunt all through the rev range than my Ivanised bike. I sold my dynojetted bike to a close mate, and we did many roll on tests, I lost every one on the Ivanised bike.

I've since bought my old bike back and sold the Ivanised bike, even though it was a much nicer bike in much better condition.

Please note - I'm note after a row here, just saying what I have experienced.     

Gaz1978

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2020, 01:02:19 pm »
Hi Guys, Thanks for all the replies I have a project bike which is basically a whole bike in bits bought off someone who stripped it and then left it for 10 years. So I have a mammoth task ahead of me. Currently the engine is away being rebuilt and I need to have the frame re-powder coated as the rear end has corrosion spots which sucks I bought the bike blind as I am shielding and the guy delivered it to me. Everthing is there for it and I will be able to figure it out as I go but once it's a rolling chassis I will need help with pictures of certain areas which I hope you can help me with?

It's a Gen 1 2003 plate. I have had the EXUP bolts drilled and re-tapped and am sorting getting the bearings off the valve currently. I have also sourced a used valve and down pipes from separate parties so I'll have 2 sets by the end of it. I need help seeing where the servo sits and routing of cables as well as where the harness runs on the bike and what plugs into what as a start if you can help?

I know I need the EXUP now I just want to know how it works with regards control boxes etc?

If someone was able to send me some pics of a Gen 1 to help me see what runs where once I've the engine sat in the frame I would really appreciate it I have read that I need the air box in already before I put the engine in is that true?

I could really do with an hour looking round one myself and take my own pics but until I'm allowed out I'll just have to take things as they come I guess. For now I'm looking at what I need to get for it so when I'm ready to build it I dont need to get anything else which is why I looked at the EXUP to see if it was seized.

Even a couple of rough hand drawn pictures would help to show the block and then harness routing would be good rather than a pic with pipes going all directions I'm easily confused lol. I am an engineer by trade but a project like this is new to me.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated 🙂👍

Many thanks, Gaz

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2020, 02:50:49 pm »
Where are you Gaz? If you want to have  look around my old shed you're quite weclome, I'm in Stoke.

Gaz1978

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2020, 05:03:55 pm »
Hi Billy, I am in Derby so I could take a run over and have a look round some evening.

Can you text me your number we can have a chat?

Cheers, Gaz
« Last Edit: 18 June 2020, 04:40:44 pm by Gaz1978 »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2020, 05:25:59 pm »
Gaz,

Hi and welcome. :)

I've got the Yamaha Workshop Manual in pdf form.  It shows all the cable and wiring loom routing.  It's a 16Mb size document so I could e-mail it to you, I think.

If you'd like it, please PM me here with your e-mail address and I'll fire it off ASAP.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 June 2020, 06:39:35 pm »
@Billy - Sorry if I came over a bit strong, I appreciate you were just putting accross your experience but I couldn't reccomend anyone rides the GEN1 without a fully functioning Exup, it's not the same bike.

@Mike & Gaz - The Yamaha Service Manual and a load of other resources are available via the Downloads tab below the blue banner - Downloads > Manuals > Fazer 1000/FZ1 - it gets a bit convoluted from there as you have to copy and paste the Direct Link into a browser which should then allow you to select where you want the file to be downloded to.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2020, 10:44:05 am »
Pie-eater, no offence or slight taken, I just thought I would explain myself more thoroughly. My experience is my experience, and I loved my Fazer even with no valve in it at all, but I've got to say that fitting the EXUP valve did calm down the propensity for it to rear up and smack me in the face. LOL!!!

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 June 2020, 08:40:36 pm »

I'm currently running mine with no EXUP valve in. It needed urgent attention and it was quicker (and possibly cheaper!) for me to fit a complete Black Widow system. Servo cables are ty-rapped out of the way. I'll deal with the headers and valve another day.
Also fitted a 4 deg ignition advancer at the same time.
I really can't say that I can tell any difference - pulls just as well low down as before, in fact maybe even better.
So.…….. almost like a oil/tyre/seat/fairing/suspension* thread, everyone's having different results!

(*delete as appropriate)

:lurk

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 June 2020, 09:10:28 pm »
I really can't say that I can tell any difference - pulls just as well low down as before, in fact maybe even better.
Just wan't to confirm - your bike without an EXUP runs better than your bike with a faulty EXUP !?! Rather than pay a couple of hunderd quid for the Black Widow / Sandy Spares downpipes you could probably have acheived the same thing by taking the faulty EXUP out of the collector box and put a blanking plate on it !!!

I don't think everyones having different results I think everyones riding different bikes, some that are operating as intended and some that aren't.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2020, 09:15:58 pm by PieEater »

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 June 2020, 10:53:43 am »
Just wan't to confirm - your bike without an EXUP runs better than your bike with a faulty EXUP !?! Rather than pay a couple of hunderd quid for the Black Widow / Sandy Spares downpipes you could probably have acheived the same thing by taking the faulty EXUP out of the collector box and put a blanking plate on it !!!

I don't think everyones having different results I think everyones riding different bikes, some that are operating as intended and some that aren't.

To fit a blanking plate meant major work as all of the bolts had broken off - something I don't currently have the time for (Self-Employed) and currently there are few engineering machine shops willing to take on small jobs if you can find one open at all in my neck of the woods. Hence in the post it states "I'll deal with the headers and valve another day"
I will return the exhaust to how Mr Yamaha designed it, however, a complete system from Black Widow has been fitted and it appears to work well for the time being.