Date: 19-04-24  Time: 17:00 pm

Author Topic: New front end  (Read 3111 times)

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
New front end
« on: 04 February 2017, 10:46:57 pm »

Hey guys,  had a play today with a cheap headlight to see if I want to change my front end,  I like the bike without the fairing and plan to get a decent twin head light and some better mounts with rubber on the clamps, 

Can't decide how to mount the instrument cluster,  come up from the headlight mounts?  Of the top yoke?  Modify the original front sub frame?

Any ideas appreciated,  here's some pics of it as it is now.

Andy1970

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: New front end
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2017, 12:01:38 pm »
Hi,

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that if you're mounting the headlights so they turn with the forks, then it'll look a bit weird if the instruments are rigidly mounted to the frame, so I'd mount them on the forks or yoke. Having said that, I think that the standard clocks will look too big and clumsy without a fairing to hide behind, and if I was doing this then I'd look into getting an aftermarket digital speedo.

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2017, 03:43:02 pm »
That's looks nice,  how difficult was that wire up? 

Andy1970

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2017, 06:31:43 pm »
No idea mate. It's not my bike, I just stumbled upon the pic while googling "Fazer Streetfighter".

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2017, 09:31:34 pm »
I think the biggest problem is positioning of the light and brackets, the top yoke sits so high above the tank it's awkward to get a nice line (if you get what I mean) You can lower the yoke by removing one of the nuts on the steering stem but you loose the steering lock as it drops the ignition switch and it doesn't line up with the hole on the headstock. Guess it really depends how far you want to go to get it looking right, and personal preference.

And I won't mention the wiring loom......

Who ever designed it really didn't want it to be naked
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2017, 10:10:32 pm »
You're on the right path, I loved my Fazer naked conversion made the bike unique and in my opinion looked great. I would personally stick with the single headlight, the dual ones are awful for actual light output (worse than unmodified stock) and keep tinkering until you're happy. It's a slow process, definitely worth it in the end! Here's a couple of pics of my Fazer before I sold it, I try not to look at the pics too much because I actually miss it quite a bit and will never be able to have another like it. Far better made bike than the TL I have now, much better manners but not as fun or characterful. On most roads, not even any slower either. Track, probably a different story.

I managed to keep the original clocks, made a bracket out of some aluminium sheet I got for about £5. Used cardboard to make some prototypes then went for it in the aluminium and with some trial and error got it pretty decent 2nd try. Used some rubber trim for the edging. I think there's a pre drilled hole in the top fork clamp that I used, it's for a ring clamp securing the speedo cable and some other wires. I then drilled and tapped a thread on the opposite side and used that to mount the clock bracket to the underside of the top fork clamps. I will check, but I think I threw away that bracket unfortunately when I reverted the bike back to standard. I also sawed off the top speedo stud flush and removed the rear plastic to paint it black and refitted it so it's not as visible. I covered the lot with the puig dark smoke screen, hid a lot and was actually decent at stopping wind too. The loom wrap needs chopping down quite a bit, this makes it easier to sort out and tidy it all up.

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2017, 10:25:37 pm »
That looks great just what I'm going for,  I can see how you made the bracket on the second pic,  thanks for the reply,  any chance you have a link for the puig screen?

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2017, 10:48:24 pm »
No worries glad it's helpful. I don't have the exact link but this is the same as the one I bought. Works better with an 8 inch round headlight rather than a 7, there's less of a gap between the headlight and screen that way and beefs the front out a bit. They come in solid black too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Motorcycle-Fly-Screen-Puig-Naked-Windscreen-Dark-Tint-/141018240269?hash=item20d557950d:g:KBQAAOSwPcVVrhoI

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2017, 10:41:27 am »
Changed my front headlamp etc. in 2003
Instruments are mounted using a bracket and extended nut from the handlebar clamps

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2017, 10:54:44 pm »
those are some large nuts paul :lol  , good idea , i've plenty to think about now, standard clocks for sure , went for a little test ride  today (freezing!) using my phones gps as a speedo, and wow! 95mph (i mean 70 ;) ) really wants to push you off the back , didn't realise how much work the fairing did!

bloody loved it though!  makes the national twistyys feel great , i recently lost 1 and a half stone (plus the few pounds of subframe) so probably a little to do with it ,

streetfighter it is , need to decide on a material to cover the gap behind the forks, to cover up the wiring loom , theres 2 mounting points left from the fairing , i was thinking either fibreglass or stainless mesh?

anyone tryied anything similar?

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2017, 09:46:20 am »
Have you considered moving your ignition switch, it won't tidy up all of your wiring but it does make a difference to the amount of wires around the head stock. Also redo the wiring for the headlight/indicators as the stock loom far to long and messy once the fairings removed.

I've gone for daytime only MOT so only wiring I'm having is for a start/horn/kill switch. Far neater but obviously makes the bike very impractical

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2017, 04:30:07 pm »
i have thought about it but i really would like to retain the steering lock , not sure i trust myself enough to cut the loom in half lol, gna have to be done at some point tho

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2017, 11:45:21 pm »
Cutting the loom wasn't so bad, just make sure you leave enough cable to reconnect every thing. As for the steering lock, have you seen how quickly a thief can break it

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2017, 06:32:17 pm »
Cutting the loom wasn't so bad, just make sure you leave enough cable to reconnect every thing. As for the steering lock, have you seen how quickly a thief can break it

i haven't but i know you never really stop them if they really want it but at least another small hurdle for disrespectful foccers in this world to jump

PS Paul, i have just ordered some long nuts to hijack your handlebar riser idea , cheers for the info

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 February 2017, 05:20:42 pm »
Well here's what I've ended up with so far guys,  not to sure on the red side panels might get a can made up in the metallic black to match the body,  what you think?

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2017, 01:05:09 am »
Yep, too bright a shade compared to the mirrors, levers and bar ends. Sometimes less is more, rub them down and give them a coat of black, do the air box covers too, she'll look well smart. :)
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2017, 06:00:29 pm »
Looks great you did that quick! Did you use aluminium plate to make the clock mount? I agree with celticdog, definitely not a fan of the red even the levers and that but it's your bike! Black definitely suits the naked look well especially with that black screen and bars.

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2017, 06:04:36 pm »
I used a mixture of yours and Paul's ideas so I extended the bar riser bolts and used thread lock in place if the lock nut and made a ally frame from them to hold the clocks,  yer I don't like the panels but I love my levers (personal preference)  gonna color match the side panels in metallic black when I can afford the paint,  cheers for all your input guys much appreciated  :D