Date: 26-04-24  Time: 09:24 am

Author Topic: Wrong side of the road - video nasty.  (Read 1260 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong side of the road - video nasty.
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2020, 10:21:45 pm »
That really does shit you up,if anything it's usually the biker running wide. :eek
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2020, 12:02:40 am »
I'd say something about ATGATT here, but people would accuse me of being "The Safety Police"...

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2020, 09:17:40 am »
Don't know why we are surprised we all know we risk death or serious injury every time we ride our bikes. If you can't except that don't ride. 

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2020, 05:53:57 pm »
That could have been any other vehicle at all. Tractor, car, bloke on a push bike, horse rider. All same result. Traction control/ABS etc looks like it would have had no effect in the accident to me

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2020, 07:09:02 pm »

I'd say something about ATGATT here, but people would accuse me of being "The Safety Police"...

Fella was wearing full leathers and a compressed air jacket according to the police.  The jacket they reckon inflated as he flew through the air.

As Agricola points out that car could have taken anybody or anything out.    Even if the fella on the bike had dodged the car rather than hitting the brakes he’d have been collected by the following car.  The speed showing on the video is true GPS speed, he’d have been showing maybe 75mph before he lifted for the corner.  I suspect he was trying to show the following the car how to negotiate a tight country road.

Hope the fella makes a full recovery.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2020, 07:13:09 pm »
Don't know why we are surprised we all know we risk death or serious injury every time we ride our bikes. If you can't except that don't ride.

Mmmmm   maybe, but that one wasn't your normal pull out "i didn't see him" scenario that was really bad luck and definately wrong place wrong time.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2020, 09:27:00 pm »
is there an argument that abs might have killed him? he does a helluva stoppy before impact...helping catapault him clear. would abs have kept the rear wheel on the ground and mashed him straight into the car with the impact of the combined speeds?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2020, 09:51:10 pm »
is there an argument that abs might have killed him?

The other side of that argument is that he could have locked up the front and slid under the car or flipped himself over the handlebars and ended up going through the windscreen...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2020, 11:33:01 pm »

is there an argument that abs might have killed him? he does a helluva stoppy before impact...helping catapault him clear. would abs have kept the rear wheel on the ground and mashed him straight into the car with the impact of the combined speeds?

I think you have to accept the balance of probability.  That is that in the vast majority split second emergencies where you decide to brake hard as foc ABS is a big advantage.  ABS or not, he might have over braked a bit, which may have ultimately helped him a little, but he did, no doubt, do a sterling job on the brakes all considered. 

There are all sorts of discussions to be had as to how this poor fella reacted.  But he only had a split second to react, and frankly the two other realistic options that he had would have also had a bad outcome.  His best option ( Ithink - and only with hindsight) was to leave the road to the left of him and crash – but he wasn’t to know that and I don’t think any of us would have reacted in that way.  Cool and super quick reactions would, might have, had him counter steer swiftly to the his right – but there is no way of knowing where that car was going to go, so it’s a gamble, which in any case would have left him being hit head on by the following car.

It’s just an absolutely dreadful situation to be in.  His breaking substantially reduced the impact speed, and that along with his quality riding gear allowed him to survive - just -, albeit with possibly life changing injuries – though I sincerely hope with luck he makes a full recovery, and if he wants to,  gets back on a bike again.

I note Steve’s comment.  Yes, we just keep out fingers crossed and try to keep things sane. 

Stormbringer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Main bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2020, 09:42:33 am »
Shocking .
I hope they lock the idiot car driver up and the biker makes a full recovery .
Over Land and Sea

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2020, 05:44:37 pm »

Struth!!! when I read this I thought he'd passed. :eek

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2020, 11:31:44 pm »
Passed wind at the very least I shouldn't wonder.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!