• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Visor
« on: 29 June 2014, 01:59:59 pm »
I think my 5 year old Arai needs a new visor (shite visor system on the Arai by the way)

Was out yesterday, what with all the insect life (seems to be a heck o a lot of it this year), then the rain showers.  Well I stopped and took off my glasses to help me see where I was going :eek .  Yup my visor has seen better days.

Question 1.  Genuine or aftermarket?

Question 2.  Any online suppliers recommended for visors. 

Ben Diesel

• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
Re: Visor
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2014, 02:49:10 pm »
1. I have bought both genuine and aftermarket replacements over the years. I always buy only genuine Arai replacements now.

2. http://www.thevisorshop.com/ Used many times for visors, spare parts (such as current and obsolete side pods). Never let me down.

The Gentleman Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2014, 03:33:26 pm »
5 years old? It's probably time to buy a new helmet anyway.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2014, 03:48:14 pm »
I would urge that you buy a genuine Arai visor. Two reasons, firstly they are very good quality in terms of scratch resisteance and very strong, I had a race crash years ago in an Arai and landed on my face or rather doffed the tarmac with the front of my helmet enough to smash out the chin vent. The visor looked like it had seen an angle grinder but it didn't split or shatter, plus those 'easy to break' sidepods held up too, they are designed to slide rather than catch in the road I think so I can see some sense in their design.
Secondly, during a lean month last year I bought a Bob Heath replacement for my Astro and it seemed thicker than the Arai visor, unfortunately they were too thick, everytime I lifted the visor it merrily pushed out both side pods near the top tab a bit too much until they split at the edge -£25 to replace the pods.
 Andy, try the amber Arai visor, they offer better contrast in wet conditions and at night, plus they have the bonus of making everyday look sunny and bright.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2014, 05:02:20 pm »
Don't mention those side pods.  I only had the hat for a few weeks and I broke one.
I remember buying the hat, I had a Shoei then.  Fella in the shop told me that the Arai was the best visor system on the market.   Even better than Shoei I asked - yes he said. He popped the visor out and back in nae bother.  Wish I'd tried it in the shop.
It was Hein Gericke in Glasgow.  Then he tried to sell me the display model - umm no thanks I'll have a new one if that's alright.

When I tried to change the visor, well I couldn't.  I had to sit and watch a U-tube video, and then I could just about do it.  And of course within a few weeks I'd broke it.

Can't remember the name of the fella in the shop, twas the manager at the time.  Got into a bit of an argument about the visor and the broken pod.  He told me - 'that was only my experience' - and - 'we've got plenty of other helmets if you'd like to buy another.'  Christ I almost lost it with him, I really did.  See I can still rant about it five years later. 

Never been back in that shop since.

Anyway they are really good hats, but with an utterly crap visor system.

Right OK.  Buy original.  No discounts then?

Light smoke tint fae me Simon.  Think the amber would look silly on my b&w 'banda' anyway.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2014, 05:15:10 pm »
Know what you mean..I had one break on a bike group test in Czech Republic..hadta gaffer the visor on for the remainder. They do get easier as they get older if your swapping about a lot...and since I snapped that one I always pour a bit of fairy in the grubbins prior to a visor change now. Having said that I havnt worn my rx7 for about a year now, it's either the pisspot or the neotech if the weathers bad. My first decent lid was a shoei back in '91,  a Lawson rep, fantastic helmet. I stuck with arais after that, but now I've a shoei again I'll stick with it. Everybodie helmet seems to have a decent visor change system now, bar arai, and them pods do create a lot of noise..

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2014, 06:19:09 pm »
5 years old? It's probably time to buy a new helmet anyway.

Oh almost forgot.  Are you kidding?  It is almost new, it's only five years old fae focs sake!

Know what you mean..I had one break on a bike group test in Czech Republic..

Thought it was Malcolm who broke all the stuff. :lol

My first decent lid was a shoei back in '91,  a Lawson rep, fantastic helmet.

Mine was a Shoei RF200.  I think it was 160 quid or something crazy.

Like bikes, I tend to buy a lid and stick with it, till it's done.

Just chucked a couple of em out;

The FM I bought in 1986.  The RF200 about 1992.  The Barros rep 1999.  The Arai 2009.
The Arai will do a few more years yet!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2014, 06:22:27 pm »
With the Barros rep I got into the habit of popping the visor off to clean it inside and out.

With the Arai I clean it in place - it's pish.

Look even the racers don't like removing em;

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2014, 06:42:27 pm »
Bizarrely, I had the same fm before my Lawson rep, it was green and white to match my aircooled gpz750! And it was utter, utter pants...I bought a 88 plate zx10 in 91, and that's when I had to change helmets too, the shoei was a bigger revelation than the newer kwack  :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2014, 07:44:36 pm »
Aye the FM was pants, but at least it went well with the 1974 Honda C90 I was riding at the time!

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2014, 09:46:32 pm »
Replaced the visor on my Shoei raid 2 last year , cost about £40 from Fowlers .