Date: 19-04-24  Time: 23:09 pm

Author Topic: Replacement rear caliper  (Read 825 times)

Supanova7G

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Replacement rear caliper
« on: 17 July 2020, 06:34:44 pm »
Hello, and thanks for reading this and offering your insight.

I have a 98 FZS600 which has terrible problems with its rear brake caliper. I have rebuilt it before however the same problem keeps occurring with the pistons getting jammed at an angle. This time its so seized that even I am willing to admit defeat  :'(

To be fair this bike has been used as a commuter hack for years through winters and all - its a hell of a good bike and this is the only significant problem I have had in 8 years.

I don't want to replace it with a stock caliper from ebay, because they suck and need constant cleaning. Does anyone know of a cost effective aftermarket caliper that will fit so that I can get through an MOT? The bike is only worth ~£900 so I'm not aiming high.

Cheers.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Replacement rear caliper
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2020, 06:36:49 pm »
FZS1000 caliper fits with a bit of fettling.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2020, 10:34:09 am »
They're not THAT bad if you give them a bit of TLC once or twice a year. I clean my pistons with brake cleaner and a toothbrush, then put some new red rubber grease on and it keeps it functioning well.

I use Ceramic pads on the rear too, to keep the dust down. When i used to use Organic i did notice a big increase in pad dust which can create a lot of the problems.

As mentioned though, the FZS1000 caliper is meant to be a good upgrade. It will need filing in places to make it fit though, but i don't think it's anything major.
That's if you can find one.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2020, 11:04:27 am »
That's if you can find one.
At less than a King's ransom...

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2020, 08:03:24 pm »
TRX850 rear caliper mount, rear caliper, torque arm and brake hose will give you an alternative rear brake caliper setup, with pistons the same size as the FZS1000 blue spot option. Probably still works out half the price too...